Bullet Lubricant

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by bayhawk2, Dec 9, 2010.

1. bayhawk2

bayhawk2 New Member

I just cast my first lead alloy bullets and used a Lubricant
    specially made to coat them.My question is:Is there something
    I can use other than the high dollar stuff sold at the
    re-loading places?Is it just a grease or wax that I can
    find by the gallon or something?It does say it can be
    thinned with mineral spirits.
  2. mikld

mikld Active Member

If you are talking about tumble lubing with alox, check White Lable Lubes http://www.lsstuff.com/lube/index.html A great business to deal with and excellent products. I purchased a quart of alox from him a few years ago at a good price and still have some left. A good mix for T/L is 45-45-10; alox, Johnson's Paste wax, and mineral spirits. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/forumdisplay.php?f=58 very good info and insight here.

Pan lubing is also an option using paraffin and vaseline. Beeswax, Crisco, olive oil, different waxes and about 100 other regular household stuff that can be used for bullet lube. Hundreds of recipes for home made bullet lube, check the site above.
  3. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Yes, just about anything can be used a boolit lube. I have experimented with everything and I have my own recipe for pan lubing. but the LEE liquid alox is much faster than anything else, its just messy...
  4. bayhawk2

bayhawk2 New Member

JLA-Do you mix it or use it strait?if so what formula do you use?I just lubed 100 bullets with the
    pure stuff.Messy is right.It didn't take a lot to do the job,but
    they only sent me a 4 oz. bottle.I will certainly mix it with
    mineral spirits to make it last.
    MiKld-Quite an array of formulas.It looks like beeswax is a must,
    along with Petroleum Jelly.Some just say those 2 mixed 50/50
    will do the job.According to all those formulas it looks like JLA
    is right.Almost anything will do the job?
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2010
  5. mikld

mikld Active Member

Well, sorta. A lube must be soft enough to seal the bore and supply lube, but hard enough to stay in place. Melting temp is also to be considered, as in shooting in Arizona or Alaska. One of the most important features of a good lube is the carrier (in a lot of cases Beeswax). Some components may migrate and contaminate the powder. Powder, velocities, bullet alloy, plus a bunch of other stuff all go into finding the perfect lube. Here's more info on lube http://www.lasc.us/LubeIngredients.htm

95% of everyone that tries alox for the first time uses too much. A very thin coat is all that's needed. "Geeze, that can't be enough". Yep it is! Take 1 /2 teaspoon of alox and 1/2 teaspoon of mineral spirits and mix thouroughly (not exact measurements but you get the idea, mebbe a little more or a little less). Dump 100 bullets into a tub and add 1/2 of the mix and swirl the bullets and mix around until all are coated. Set them base down on a piece of aluminum foil to dry (mineral spirits aids the drying). Base down allows some of the excess alox mix to drain down off the nose, making less mess in the bullet seating die. Works for me...

Last edited: Dec 9, 2010
  6. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I use liquid alox straight. One 4 oz bottle will lube thousands of boolits. My pan lub is a mix of raw beeswax, grade 1 carnauba wax and Lucas red n tacky lithium grease. If you get into mixing your own lubes you will find the simpler you keep your mix the better off you are.

I like pan lubing because its alot less messy, it just takes alot longer than alox because you have to melt the lube, pour it in the pan with the boolits and let it set up over night before pushing them out of the lube block, with alox you tumble and dump them out on a sheet of wax paper for a few hours. I size with the cheap Lee sizer dies.

If youre interested in trying pan lubes my formula is 2# of beeswax to 1/2# of carnauba wax to 1# of Lucas Red-N-Tacky, its tedious to mix but once mixed it doesnt separate and I have run it as fast as 2500 fps without leading. This formulation is best for warmer climates as its pretty hard, you can soften it with Lucas oil stabilizer for cooler climates or if you just want it softer. add 2 oz. at a time until its the way you like it.

BTW, this is not a BP friendly lube. Its petroleum based and makes a real nasty mess with Black powder...
  7. bayhawk2

bayhawk2 New Member

MiKld-Yep.I'm sure I am in that 95% bracket.The things are on wax paper and look like carmel coated apples.Can you put too much on?O.K. so it was my first try.I will take you guys info and put
    it to use "next time".I will size the bullets next,then
    do the coating again.This time I'll use the Alox mixed with mineral spirits.As time
    goes by I'll start with the formulas.Sounds like some witches brew to me,but
    if it works?Thanks guys.Again.
  8. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

even good ol alox was a 'witches brew' at one time. The only real original bullet lube is a 50/50 mix of beeswax and animal tallow (beef mostly)
  9. bayhawk2

bayhawk2 New Member

O.K. -I molded 100 .45 L.C. bullets.-230 gr.,Lubed them with pure Alox.Sized them.
    Re-lubed them with a 50/50 mix of alox and mineral spirits.These babies are ready to be fired through my Beratta Stampede,my Taurus Judge,or my on backorderd
    Ruger Blackhawk,which is going to have an X-tra cylinder for .45 ACP....
    I figure the bullets are costing me 4 cents each,after buying bulk wheel weight
    lead already melted down in ingots..These bullets are 15 cents each if bought from Midway already made.I'm sure their bullets are better made.It doesn't mention them as being lubed.I still need to make a lot of bullets
    to break even on the lead furnace,molds,sizer dies,etc.I'm getting there.For a
    60 year old rookie.Never too late.I'm going to get my son over to go through the
    process.He's a big hunter.He's not much into pistols.Something I am trying
    to change.Right now?I find this fasinating.
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2010
  10. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Dont worry about commercial cast boolits being 'better' than yours for long. Soon you will be dropping top notch projectiles from the mold.
  11. noylj

noylj Member

I warm up LLA in a cup of water in the microwave. I have a dedicated glass casserole dish. I put about 500 bullets in the pan, squirt a little warm LLA on them, and then shuffle the bullets around for a minute (like shuffling dominoes). Inspect to be sure all bullets appear wet/shiny. Pour bullets onto wax paper or al foil. There is so little lube on the bullets that all you see is a wet/shiny appearance and not a warm brown color. There is so little lube on the bullets that there is almost no LLA on the wax paper or aluminum foil. Let dry overnight. Hands and pan can be washed clean with soap and water or you can wear latex gloves. Prefer this to battering the bullets back and forth in a deep dish pan.
    I hope to buy some 50:50 tumble lube from White Label.
  12. mikld

mikld Active Member

Alox on too thick is messy, may clog your seating die, takes forever to dry, and smokes when shot. The Mineral spirits mix goes on easier, thinner, dries quicker, and smokes less.

I really enjoy playing with boolit casting and homemade lubes and find it exremely satisfying when a good combo of alloy, bullet, and lube come together.

BTW, JLA's Red sounds like a good lube, I may try it...
  13. RustyFN

RustyFN New Member

The best lube at the best price is White label that mikld posted a link to.
  14. bayhawk2

bayhawk2 New Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBDFO0ftCQc I'm still here.Many ideas on formulas.I,m sure glad
    I came here,because,believe me,I only stumbbled across
    you guys and asked about lubeing bullets.I had no idea.
    So now ,with your info,I have gone out into the
    internet world just getting all the info possible,before
    putting it into action.I have come to the conclution
    that I have saved months(maybe more) of trial and error by coming to
    this forum.Just one of the sites I wanted to share with you guys.
    I think I might go with this.It looks like a pretty simple set up?
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2010
  15. bayhawk2

bayhawk2 New Member

Well,I tried to put the URL down at the bottom.Didn't work.
    Hope you guys could open it.
  16. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Harlows magic is the recipe began 'improving' upon, and his pan lubng method is EXACTLY the same method i use.
  17. bayhawk2

bayhawk2 New Member

I kind of got that from you.I've got the stuff and ready for action.
    I have some Linotype lead coming in the mail in the next few days.
    I'm almost ready.
  18. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

jla

you said for warm climates mix up your lube without the oil stabilizer. do you know how it would perform in cold climates though?

we go through all seasons here and sometimes my bullets see several seasons before i shoot them.
  19. mikld

mikld Active Member

You can also warm the alox (in a cup of hot water or carefully in microwave) and the bullets (in an oven at about 175 degrees) then tumble. The alox will go on thinner than if cold and dry quicker with both bullets and lube warm...
  20. bayhawk2

bayhawk2 New Member

Mikld:I have (2) 4 oz. bottles of Alox and one quart of mineral spirits.
    Thanks for the info on it.I have a question.I did make up 100
    .45 caliber bullets.The lead mix was strait wheel weight and "not"
    hardened in ice water.According to JLA it should have a BHN
    of about a 10.I plan on putting these loads up to about
    950-1000 FPS.I have done the Alox thing way to thick on them.
    Do you think I should wash the Alox off the bullets with the mineral spirits,
    remelt the bullets and start over?I have some Lenotype lead coming that
    I plan on mixing with it that should bring the BHN up to spec.
    I now have the mineral spirits to mix with the Alox/or I have the
    pan lube stuff I can turn too.Your opinions?JLA?
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2010