1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Bullet Mold modification.

Discussion in 'Black Powder Shooting / Muzzleloaders / Handguns' started by Buffalochip, Feb 25, 2010.

1. Buffalochip

Buffalochip Active Member

Years ago I saw a manual put out by the Naval Ordnance Station in Indian Head, MD, that showed images of minie balls in flight that were captured by electronic flash as they tripped a trigger wire. A tad too much powder and they actually bell out at the base as they leave the barrel, the resultant drag negating any gain in FPS. They reminded me of a badmitton birdie.

The bullets I had been casting with my Lee mold had very thin skirts and I suspected my bullets were doing the same thing as they were all over the target with heavy loads. Figuring I had nothing to lose, I removed the cone from my mold that forms the cavity in the middle of the bullet, attached the cone to a high speed drill and carefully ground down the diameter to about 2/3ds its original width and then re-pinned it to the mold. Voila! Thick skirted bullets that actually allowed me to use 90 grains of powder and 3 shot groups that form a cloverleaf at 50yds.

I use 90 grains of Pyrodex in my T/C Hawkin and 30 years later with these improved bullets can still nail a tin can at 80 yds if the sun is bright.
  2. badpenny

badpenny New Member

lyman makes a couple of minnie molds with thick skirts for heavy loads