Bullet/Powder Question

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by jpg5324, Jul 27, 2012.

1. jpg5324

jpg5324 Member

I loaded my first 100 9mm cartridge a few weeks back. When to the range Wednesday and fired them all off (What a great feeling). When I loaded them I followed my Reloading Book (Lyman 49th edition) to the letter. 9mm, Power Pistol Powder, CCI500 Primers, Hornady 115gr Bullet.... My question is, do I use this setup all the time, can I use any 115gr bullet (of the same type).
    I was looking at bulk bullets, is this data only good for the Hornady 115 bullet?:confused:
  2. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

if it's the same design, ie FMJ or SJHP and the same weight and you're not at or near max load, then it is generally "safe". My question is this though; how hard is it to load up 5 at a few lower charges for testing just to be on the safe side? It is always best to work up the load when you've made any component change.

As a side note, if you loaded up 100 rounds all at once and didn't do any test firing groups, then we'll elaborate on load workups so that you'll be able to find your best load and do it safely.

Semper Fi and that great feeling never ends with reloading.:thumbsup:
  3. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

I sub in same weight/different bullets very often but like said, I stay away from max loads at least to start. As long as the bullets are the same weight (within a few grains) and roughly the same design, you are good to go.

I also take care when comparing jacketed vs lead bullets, I won't swap/sub between those. Lyman's cast bullet manual covers most of my lead reloading.

I agree with making a few and testing them; I usually buy my pistol stuff in bulk packs of at least 1000 at a time so I load about 1-2 mags and then go outside and fire them off, thru my chrony if I'm not too lazy to ensure proper velocity and function. That way I'm not loading 1-2000 rounds of junk or undesired ammo.

Happy re-loadin' to ya, it never gets old! (you just find more things to reload for)
  4. jpg5324

jpg5324 Member

Thanks for the Great information....I will start with 5 or so loads and work my way to one I like. Should not have done 100 at a time (my bad).......Thank Again:eek:
  5. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

i promise it will only take one time of you having to pull 100 rounds down and redo them because something was off. Banging on a wooden block with a kinetic hammer gets old real fast.

Another tip, especially for handgun reloading for an autoloader.. Pull the barrel out of your pistol and keep it handy at the bench. use the chamber to check loaded rounds to ensure they fit and headspace easily. To get an idea of how easily im talking about, grab a factory loaded 115 gr cartridge and set it in there. all of your handloads should fit the barrel just as easily.
  6. myfriendis410

myfriendis410 Member

What he said!
  7. mikld

mikld Member

Most data is "bullet specific", but substituting bullets of the same weight/configuration is common (me too). Keep away from max loads and you'll be fine. I'd say next session, load up your "new" load, say 12-16, or a couple magazines full, then load up a bunch of your "known good" load. I wouldn't take only a test load for a range session, 'cus I love shootin' and 20 (or 100) ain't nowhere enough!:D
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2012
  8. jpg5324

jpg5324 Member

I bought a Lyman 9mm Head Space Gauge, Work really well. I am waaay down from the max powder load......;)