Bullet Protectors?

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by CountryGunsmith, Feb 24, 2003.

1. CountryGunsmith

CountryGunsmith New Member

armedandsafe
    (12/31/02 11:03:45 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Bullet protectors source?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    When we built the FN Mauser and rebuilt the 03A3 and 1917 Enfield in the late '40s, we put "bullet protectors" in the magazine wells. These are pieces of sheet metal, shaped like the forward wall of the magazine well, with a ridge to catch the shoulder of the case, preventinig the tip of the bullet from hitting the front of the magazinie during recoil.
    Now that I am getting ready to rebuild my (worst) Turkish M38 K-Kale, I'm wondering where to find them. I remember some things well form those days, but the source for these isn't one of them.
    Thanks for any help.

Armed and Safe - not just a theory

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (12/31/02 2:21:34 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Bullet protectors source?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Brownells?

www.brownells.com
    Ignorance is a crime in 49 states. In the other one it is bliss.

armedandsafe
    (12/31/02 3:35:41 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Bullet protectors source?
    Just came back from Brownells, again. The only hit on all the searches I tried was for a gizmo which will tie your earplugs to your belt. I have done some searches in and about the major suppliers and haven't yet found the magic combination of words which will find thesse critters. I was hoping some bright or experienced soul here might know where to find them.

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (12/31/02 7:58:40 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Bullet protectors source?
    One thing I do know about Brownells is if you call a technician listed on the website you will get way more info than is listed on the website. Their search system is messed up anyways.

Other than that I cna't help ya
    Ignorance is a crime in 49 states. In the other one it is bliss.

armedandsafe
    (1/1/03 1:10:28 am)
    Thanks, warpig,,,,I'll keep you posted.

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (1/1/03 9:03:46 am)
    Almost sounds like you're describing a stripper clip. Is this what you're looking for?

www.marstar.ca/mag-sc.htm

armedandsafe
    (1/1/03 3:13:51 pm)
    xtracer - No, this is a u-shaped piece of sheet metal (spring steel) which drops into and lives permanently in the front of the magazine well which has a ridge down each side for the shoulder of the cases to ride against, to prevent the tips of the bullet from hitting the front of the magazine well when the cartridges move forward under recoil. I did one by silver soldering a piece of brass rod down each sidewall of the receiver, once, but it sure looked funky.