bullet pulling question + some...

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by .308 shooter, Sep 12, 2008.

1. .308 shooter

.308 shooter New Member

I've found a load I like, but had several loads loaded for testing purposes. I've pulled the bullets and emptied the powder charges. I've also lengthened by cartridges to where, I hope, the bullet is just off the lands. The dowel method didn't work, so I just shortened the bullet a couple thousands each time until the bolt would close without resistance.

1. Do I have to resize the case to reload it again?

2. Starting at minimum loads again.... what are some quick signs of over pressure? Bolt having trouble opening? Cracking of the case? What are some more to look for. I generally only go to the medium range charge anyway as that's where the most accurate loads have been, but just want to be cautious.

Thanks,
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2008
  2. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

Resize after pulling? I wouldnt have thought so. If your crimping or seating with a neck resizer it should do the job OK. Though I am no expert, just done a little re loading in my time. :) Long ago when we had to lube each case by hand!

One I used a lot as a guide was the primer. Have a couple of regular loaded and fired cases as a pattern. High pressure can leave the primer very flat with sharp edges level with the case around it. A sure sign it's being pushed back with too much force.

As I say, I am no expert.
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2008
  3. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

#1: No, generally you shouldn't have to resize the case after pulling an assembled round. I've never had problems with the bullet slipping in the neck on cases that I've pulled and reseated bullets in.

#2:
    Yup, flattened primers, cratered primers, loose primers, shiny spots on the face of the head, sticky bolt lift are all indications that pressures are too high.
    The Hornady manual has pretty decent pictures of those conditions.
    Here's a web page with a pretty good picture showing those signs too.
    http://accurateshooter.wordpress.co...-check-your-cases-for-signs-of-over-pressure/
  4. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

If you are loading for accuracy the byword is consistency.
    Did the previous loading stretch the case neck and change the neck tension? Consistent neck tension is part of the equation for accuracy. Maybe you can measure the pulled rounds cases against a freshly sized case and see if there is any difference. If there is then you need to resize the cases. If not I suppose you don't have to resize. But whatever you do consistency in the finihsed round makes for repeated accurcy between batches of reloads.

If you have to resize then set up the depriming stem so it doesn't punch out the primers. On some dies, like the RCBS, that is easy to do but I think it hard on Lee dies as the depriming pin is a permanent part of the depriming throat sizing pin and not removable (???). You may be able to move it up high enough so as to not deprime the cases (???).

LDBennett
  5. .308 shooter

.308 shooter New Member

Thanks guys.....

Sometimes it seems the simplest solutions are the hardest ones for me to come up with. Caliper the neck? Pretty easy and simple and yet it escaped me. I did by the way and it looks like I'll be okay, however, since I am going for accuracy, I'm going to resize anyway..... why not eliminate a variable and be sure of what you got to start with.

Thanks again.
  6. artabr

artabr New Member

Shooter,
    You have the right thoughts in mind. Eliminating variables and keeping consistency are the key to what you're trying to achive.

Art

3 shots with a .308 at 100 yards.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 12, 2008
  7. .308 shooter

.308 shooter New Member

Thanks..... accuracy is exactly what I'm going for. Extreme accuracy actually. Here's my most recent shots.... I've not tested with seating the bullet just off the lands yet. That's still to come.

[​IMG]
  8. artabr

artabr New Member

Great shooting!!

Art
  9. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

Nice group! Looks like you're onto a pretty decent load for your rifle.