1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

bullet seating

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Guest, Feb 24, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

DonS
    (12/27/02 1:25:36 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del All bullet seating
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    First a problem then a question.

The problem is somtimes when I go to seat the bullet the case gets cut(about half way down the side on the straight part) Do I possibally have the die set to crimp instead of no crimp? the reason I think this might be the case is because it looks like the edge around the rim may have tried to either cut or crimp

secondly When adjusting the seating portion of the die I set it a bit to low, I caught it after the first time but I'm wondering if I should toss it or if its safe to use(seeing as how the bullet is seated about half way up the cantelours(sp?)

Thanks in advance for the help.

AGunguy
    *TFF Staff*
    (12/27/02 10:19:27 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: bullet seating
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hi, Don S. What brand of dies are you using?

Why not take a factory loaded round and place it in the shell holder and gently adjust the seater die down to fit its deminsions...the crimp is adjusted just to meet the factory round crimp.

Works for me.

Sometimes the brass gets ripped because the brass isn't centered in the shell holder, you can feel when its back against the back wall of the shell holder.

Good luck.

Gunguy

1badassmagnum
    (12/27/02 11:18:01 am)
    make sure your dies are adjusted properly before placing a case in the shell holder.you should use a slight push of the handle to seat the bullet,the crimping operation takes a little more effort,you should be able to feel this difference.first set your seat correctly,then use the remaining force to make your crimp.

DonS
    (12/27/02 6:20:38 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del bullet seating
    using rcbs dies.

I don't want a crimp, just to seat. The directions say to adjust the die down to where you can feel it just touching the edge of the case but I can't feel it unless its screwed all the way down. Probally something that will come with practice.

My main question though is are the cases that were cut and the ones with the bullet seated to deeply safe to shoot or should I discard them?

1badassmagnum
    (12/27/02 6:40:10 pm)
    the rcbs instructions say to put a case into the shell holder and run the ram up all thw way.then screw the seater die into the press until you feel it touch the mouth of the case.then back the die up 1 complete turn and lock it down.you probably forgot this step.this leaves a gap between the shell holder and the bottom of the die.then set the seating debth.

DonS
    (12/27/02 6:42:49 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del bullet seating
    Doh!! I bet your right I'm going to do some more loads this evening. I'll give it a try.

Dave3
    V.I.P. Member
    (12/27/02 9:20:15 pm)
    Don, I would jump on midway usa and order there bullet puller. I seem to always seat the first couple to deep, When in doubt pull them apart. Of course 300wsm won't fit in the darn thing.