bullet seating

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Guest, Feb 24, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

phalcomb
    (1/22/03 1:29:05 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del All bullet seating
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I'm using win231 at 6.6 grns with a 185gr jacked flat top.my over all length is 1.240..how far should I seat? It just doesnt look like its seated far enough..but maybe it is. oh yea..this is a 45 acp round ..on a factory round with same bullet type.its at 1.215..
    thanks for your help.

Paul

rayra
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/22/03 5:42:05 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: bullet seating
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    6.6!?
    You are 20% over the max 231 charge listing for that bullet wt. in my Speer reloading manual.
    And 10% over the max Unique listing, as well.
    I'd suggest you double-check / re-think your charge.

as for Overall Length, max cartridge is 1.275".
    And if your 'jacked flat top' is a Truncated Cone -type, anything on the straight shoulder of the bullet will do.

Rich

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (1/22/03 11:23:46 am)
    Hi phalcomb......welcome to TFF.

By all means, check that load out again.

Since .45ACP headspaces on the case mouth, overall length isn't critical unless you EXCEED maximum length or seat the bullet so deep that you start to compress the load.

phalcomb
    (1/22/03 1:19:36 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del bullet seating
    Thank you..i'll check again..i'm sure it said 6.1 to 6.8 in my winchester book..but i'll check again...but it looks like only about 1/8" of the straight part of bullet is seated..is that enough? with OAL of 1.240?

thanks again

phalcomb
    (1/22/03 1:48:33 pm)
    Hi..also why is the 185 gr JSWC different then the 185 grn JHP in load grns...one is 5.1 to 6.1 and the other is
    6.2 to 6.8? thanks again for the help....

Paul

rayra
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/24/03 4:35:15 am)
    I've usually only seen that kind of disparate charge listing for equal weight bullets when one is jacketed and the other lead. surprised to see what you've described, and I have no explanation for it.
    As for your seating depth, 1/8" seems far too shallow, regardless of OL. Don't have any spec numbers on depth handy, but I usually seat SWC or truncated cone bullets close to their shoulder.
    Rich

Smoky14
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/24/03 10:03:14 am)
    I hate to get in on this subject but here goes. The overall length thing seems to be a CYA by the data givers. If you measure factory ammo you find that it varies with the type of bullet used.

Now the profound part. My study thus far seems to reflect that the INTERNAL length ie case capicity remains fairly consistant.

Now with a little math, measure the bullet overall length and figure out what the assembled length would be PROVIDING the internal capicity remains constant.

Smoky the figurer

phalcomb
    (1/24/03 12:40:23 pm)
    Thank you for the advice...I need all I can get..haha..I think another prob is my sizing...I don't think its getting all the way down..looks like only 7/8? I still have feeding problem but only on about half..
    thanks again,
    Paul