Bullet Sizer-Lubricator

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by neilin, Dec 24, 2009.

1. neilin

neilin New Member

I cast a bullet for shooting in my .357 with a Lee Bullet Mold, diameter .358, weight 158 grain, 358-158-RF. It looks like a round nose with a flat point. I am sizing and lubricating this bullet in an RCBS Lube-A-Matic bullet sizer-lubricator. The bullet has a bevel at the base, which takes me additional time to guide it into the sizing die so that it stays straight under the top punch. Once in the sizing die I turn the lube handle to force lube into the bullet lubricator groove. I also, end up with lube at the base of the bullet around the bevel, and have to wipe the lube off the bevel. I cannot get my adjustments to eliminate this. Does anyone have a comment on how to eliminate the lube from the base bevel?
  2. muddober

muddober Active Member

[QUOTE The bullet has a bevel at the base, which takes me additional time to guide it into the sizing die so that it stays straight under the top punch. Once in the sizing die I turn the lube handle to force lube into the bullet lubricator groove. I also, end up with lube at the base of the bullet around the bevel, and have to wipe the lube off the bevel. I cannot get my adjustments to eliminate this. Does anyone have a comment on how to eliminate the lube from the base bevel?[/QUOTE] It sounds to me like you are running the bullet base first through the die which is why you can't get the adjustment right, they should go nose first. Also you should not have to force lube each time because if you have your spring pressure set up right you should only have to reset the pressure about every 10 bullets or so. Please let us know if this helps.

Ron
  3. neilin

neilin New Member

It sounds to me like you are running the bullet base first through the die which is why you can't get the adjustment right, they should go nose first. Also you should not have to force lube each time because if you have your spring pressure set up right you should only have to reset the pressure about every 10 bullets or so. Please let us know if this helps.

Ron[/QUOTE]

My RCBS Lube-A-Matic requires the bullet be placed base first into the sizer, then pushed with the top punch which conforms to the bullet nose. After the bullet is in the sizer, the only way I can force lube into the groove is to turn the handle every 1 to 2 bullets. There is no spring pressure. What type of sizer/luber do you use?
  4. muddober

muddober Active Member

neilin: It has been so long since I have resized any bullets and while I remembered the process I had forgotten what kind of sizer I had and mine is a Star which is nothing like your RCBS, hence my process is totally different. Mine not only has a spring loaded lube chamber it also has a built-in heater in it for the lube and the bullets go all the way through it nose first. Unlike yours I push one bullet with another bullet so it does not have a top punch or the up and down motion like yours but rather the bullet just goes one way. The die in the Star is spring loaded so it actually moves. As one bullets pushes the bullet ahead of it and when the base of the ram reaches the die it causes the die along with the bullet inside to pass through the pressurized lube thereby lubing the bullet. I would have bet money mine was an RCBS until you asked causing me to go dig it out. In other words I have been telling you how to work a Star and not an RCBS so I apologize. On mine and the next place I was going to go with you on your problem of lubing the bevel area of the bullet which would have made no sense to you at all was to seal off lube holes in the die with number 8 shot which is how you do it with Star lube sizer dies. I am glad you made me go look or you could still be reading my suggestions but looking at your screen like a cocker spaniel.

Again I apologize.

Ron
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2009
  5. neilin

neilin New Member

Ron,
    Thanks for telling me about your Star sizer/luber. When I bought my RCBS, it was the only choice to buy. If there would have been a Star beside it, I would have bought the Star.
    Neil
  6. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I use the RCBS bullet Lube-a-matic. To my recollection, I have never run any bevel base bullets through mine. I have had the problem of turning the lube screw too much and the lube getting under the bullet. This causes a big glob of lube to be hanging from the base of the bullet when it comes out of the sizer. You might try not tuning the lube screw as hard and holding the main operating handle down as you do it!
  7. scrat

scrat New Member

Lube type and heat.

I found it depended on what type of lube i was using. i once switched to Red Rooster lube a hard compound lube. In order to get it to flow i would take a small lamp with a 40 watt bulb. Then i would place it right up to the lubrisizer and go drink a cup of coffee or two then i would try to turn in the lube screw it it turned easy i knew i was good to go. Then i would start sizing. it would go good. if when i sized the lube looked too shiney i knew i had to pull the lamp away from the lubrisizer and let it cool a bit. i know the lyman i believe has a heat plate. i was always tempted to get a lyman heat plate and adapt it to my RCBS but i found the lamp method worked just as good. if your adjustments are correct then it has to do with the flow and the lube type. some lubes work better than others. Same time i always kept a plate to put lube that came out too much then when im done i would take off the top plate and pack in the lube back in the lubrisizer to i am recycling the lube.
  8. Freebore

Freebore New Member

I lube for the Lee 452-230-TC bullet using the RCBS and have no problems, this bullet design has the same base as your 358-158-RF

I believe the problem may be with either the depth of the bullet during sizing (my first choice), or the actual sizing die diameter vs the cast diameter, mic the bullet diameter as it comes out of the mould and compare with the sizing die being used, there should be at least a .002 difference, the lead alloy you are using could also be giving you a different diameter than you expect.

Sometimes turning in the lube pressure screw (to often) forces lube to the base, I generally get about 4-5 bullets lubed before applying more pressure,
    the lube I use is White's BAC which flows very well without heat at room temperatures
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2009