bullet stop

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 38 special, Feb 18, 2009.

1. 38 special

38 special New Member

Iwant to build bullet stop for hangun shooting. Max distance would be 30 yards. I will move bench to sight in guns at 15 yards or 30 yards. for 22 rimfire to 44 mag. I want to capture most or all bullets so can recylce. I dont want to pollute the ground with lead and dont want to waste the bullets.
    I'm was thinking of a steel plate 3/8 inch thick 4 feet high 8 feet long set at a 45degree angle and within some wood frame made out of black locust so it doesnt rot for 30 or 40years. Maybe have a few inches of sand below the steel plate so bullets will collect there. then every so often i will scoop up all the lead and sell or give to bullet makers or someone who can reuse and not waste the resource.
    ANYone have any ideas otherthan the steel plate? how about some thick rubber like they use in modern cow barns maybe it woulld stop bullet and not make so much noise. Any other ideas for backstop would be appreciated
  2. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

The outdoor range where I used to be a member (before moving away) used giant mounds of dirt within a concrete bunker as the backstop. They always had us estimate the number of rounds we would be firing so that they had some idea of how often they needed to switch out the dirt and reclaim the lead.

I don't know how easy it is to get the lead out of a giant pile of dirt, but that's what they did.
  3. jacksonco

jacksonco New Member

Sounds like a worthy project. Have you tried an internet search for some plans? Let us know how things are working out.
  4. doug66

doug66 New Member

38spl

Sounds like a good idea. I have a piece of 1/4" steel, 3'x5' set on a 45 degree angle. I only shoot cast handgun ammo at it. After 1000+ rounds no distortion or dimpling. Built on 2x4 frame and fairly easy to more. Next fall I plan on moving it a couple feet to mine it.
  5. 38 special

38 special New Member

Will do. The easiest thing would be a big dirt mound. Im just thinking of some other easier way to collect the bullets. I'll let you know what I end up with. Thanks for your thoughts.
  6. GMFWoodchuck

GMFWoodchuck New Member

I had a bullet stop that was basically a 2'X2'X2' steel box with the front open (pretty thing gauge, don't recall exactly how thick. It wasn't too much thicker than sheet metal.) And in it was a piece of 3/16th steel that was angled downward and was loose. It was loose and so if it got hit with a powerful round it would just flop backwards and then back again without being damaged. It worked well. It stopped all of the handgun bullets and shotgun slugs that were ever fired into it. Never tried it with a high power rifle though.
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2009
  7. GMFWoodchuck

GMFWoodchuck New Member

A friend of my family had an old fuel oil tank. That worked very well. He stood it up on end and cut a "flap" in it. He used a torch to make a (about) 2X2 U cut in it leaving the top attached and bent it in at a 45 degree angle. I hope that makes sense. He never had to empty that thing after years of reloading and shooting into it. Many thousands of rounds do not add to much in a 400 gallon tank.
  8. Vladimir

Vladimir New Member

Before you spend too much time you may want to find someone/someway to actually follow through and recycle the bullets. :D

I don't reload or anything so know nothing about it, but I imagine it isn't as simple as driving to Schucks and tossing your bullets in their drums.
  9. Bruce FLinch

Bruce FLinch New Member

I've heard of a waterfall bullet trap. I googled bullet trap & there is a bunch of info there. good luck
  10. pkcgbifaid

pkcgbifaid Member

You may also want to look into Dura-Bloc... it's a ballistic rubber block that can encapsulate many handgun loads and can handle up to 10,000 rounds before needing to be replaced. You would still need a steel backup plate, but it's worth looking into.
  11. mrkirker

mrkirker New Member

You might wish to pause before actually considering applying a torch to a fuel oil tank, as suggested by our honorable member from Binghamton. 'Empty' tanks have killed many when being cut, either with a torch or with physical means.
    Just my 2ยข . . . .
  12. 1shot1k

1shot1k Former Guest

:cool::cool::cool:

Hello...plan is forthright and noble..recycle always good but make ur stop for safety 1st..cause lead is still abundant in industry..but wonder how many know to what extents ccomposites or non lead bullets are being used now and what future holds for handling/recycling...just mean probably always a market but lead so taboo now in manufacturing and marketing..yet still so inexspensive to obtain..for myself id just worry about angle and proper dimemension of backstop for safety, then build recovery around that...
    proper baffle system should work.

regards,
    :cool:
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2009
  13. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Here ya go. If you want to build a really good bullet trap, and still be able to retrieve the lead, then try this, it's what I use. Plant two presure treated posts (4X4's) in the ground at what ever distance apart that you want the width to be. Place chicken wire around the posts, makeing an oval shape. Line with bisquien, and fill with dirt. If you make this trap at least 3'-4' across, from front to back, it will stop even large caliber rifle bullets. It works well as a back stop for those that shot a bow, also. It's cheap to build, and you can take it down easily, to get out that lead you want to save.
  14. thakidc

thakidc New Member

My friend has a storebought bullet trap its just a piece of heavy steel (3/8?) at a 45 angle a thinner bottom plate (1/8?) and in the front at the bottom is a piece about 6 or 7in high angled back inwards... I believe this to help reduce "backsplatter" from the rounds exploding against the bottom from escaping towards the shooter, when shooting close or with high powered weapons.
    Oh it also has sides that are just thin steel and its all welded up.

So if youve got a welder and some steel it should be fairly simple, and his is so heavy enoght not to flip from .30-06 but lite engh for US to flip/roll to move it or clean it.

Hope Ive helped let us know how it works out
  15. 45nut

45nut Active Member

What about liberal ex talk show hosts??:eek::D If you stack them two deep, you shouldn't need to dig much for them.