Bullet stuck in barrel of SBH

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by power-strings.com, May 29, 2005.

1. power-strings.com

power-strings.com New Member

I hope I'm posting this in the correct post. I have searched and cannot find an answer to this question but I know I'm not the first to have this problem.

I was shooting my Ruger SBH 44 magnum 7 1/2" barrel and shooting good I might add when I fired and noticed it was a very light pop sound. Instead of continuing to shoot. I decided to check things out. Glad I did and I hope everyone else does too. (Safety First!!!)

I removed the cylinder, then removed the three fired cases and three loaded cases. Everything was normal there. Then I checked my barrel for obstructions when I noticed the cast 240grn bullet was lodged/ stuck about half way down the barrel. (Man I'm glad I didn't pull the trigger again!!!!)

I got my brass hammer & rods (what are they called? brian dead here?) kit out. Man how can I forget the name of a tool that's so common. Used for removing pins. I put one in barrel and tried to gently bump/ push the bullet out but it wouldn't move so I decided to post this question on removing a stuck bullet before I accidently messed up the rifling or barrel on a perfectly great gun.

Please, anybody know a easy way to remove a stuck bullet from barrel???

Thanks!!!!

P.S. I have no problem working on my own guns in case anyone is worried about giving advice. Plus the gun is unloaded with cylinder and loaded ammo put away so there is nothing to explode or dangerous unlesss I hit myself. :D
  2. power-strings.com

power-strings.com New Member

Ok I got the bullet out!!

It was fairly simple simple just using a dowl or rod and tapping it out with a hammer. It just seemed like it wasn't working at the time when it happened.

Which was probably for the better. Since I put the gun away and had time to clear my mind.

Thanks again!! ;)
  3. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Was the round a reload or factory ammo?
  4. stash247

stash247 New Member

Power strings, thank the Lord you were shooting a sa revolver, not a da
    You got real lucky, to not 'chase' the stuck bullet with another!
    Had that happened, we'd be hearing about how to get your fingers out of the trees!
    I'm supposing you were shooting reloads, and this one was primed, without powder; likely on a progressive press.
    Whatever the case, glad you are still typing with both hands; my experience with a Dillon press which had a powder measure slide bar come loose, inclined me to safety wire all that moves, before going into production; no problems since!
  5. LDBennett

LDBennett Active Member

power-strings:

Without knowing whether it was reloads or not makes it hard to figure out what happened, but here are some possiblities.

Did loose powder fall out of gun after the incident? If so the primer went off and something is blocking the primer hole in that case so that the powder did not go off. It could be case cleaning media or a lump of cleaning liquid used in the vibratory cleaner (that happened to me). It could be a case that missed the primer hole piecing at the factory. It could also be a primer that did not go off with full intensity due to contamination. That is much more likely in re-loads than in factory ammo.

If no loose powder fell out I would suspect a cartridge that missed the "add powder" stage of reloading. It is easy to do if you reload yourself. I would guess it is nearly impossible with factory ammo.

The suggested wooden dowel is the safest way to protect the barrel from damage. It is surprising how much effort it takes to force the bullet down the barrel but a single bullet will come out using a hammer and the dowel. If you had shot another round on top of the stuck bullet you would have bulged the barrel at the least (ruining the barrel) and ruptured it at the worst (perhaps hurting you in the process). I have seen pictures of cutaway revolver barrels with many bullets lodged one after the other in the barrel. Some people are not as smart as you and continue to fire after a weak report from a fired shot.

LDBennett
  6. ryan_marine

ryan_marine New Member

Here is one thing that I have found out from a relover that did the same. If the bullet is really hard to get moving then use a good barrel cleaner(one that eats cooper and lead) also drill a hole in the center of the bullet if you can. This is one thing that I had to do for a friend. He lodged a 45ACP bullet about 1/2" from the end of the barrel. If you have to drill it then I sujest a good press and a good vise. Glad to hear that you got it out and still have all your fingers and no injuries. I have seen what happens to many of M16s when this happens. It is not pretty.

Ray
  7. Archie

Archie Member

The best bullet removing rod is a threaded brass rod. Brass is softer than steel, and the threaded outer edge gives just a little more. One can find such rods in various sizes. The rod should fit the bore as snugly as possible without being a wedge fit. The simplest way to check is to take a sized, empty case from the pistol in question and see what fits best.

They come in various lengths, for handguns, a one foot section will do for most. They will fit in your shooting bag and go to the range. One can remove stuck bullets by inserting the rod, holding a revolver by the barrel and slamming the end of the rod on a concrete walkway or stone. (Remove casing and close cylinder.) (Don't ask me how I developed this technique... just don't ask...)

Here in PDSR California, I found some at OSH (Orchard Supply House), a local hardware place. Other areas will have different places, but a general hardward store should have them. Look in the nuts and bolts section. Cost varies from just over a dollar to a couple bucks each.