Bullets, bullets and more bullets?

Discussion in 'Black Powder Shooting / Muzzleloaders / Handguns' started by newbee, Mar 8, 2009.

1. newbee

newbee New Member

I purchased a CVA Wolf magnum, with a 1:28 twist. CVA advises using Power Belt Bullets, and doesn't say nice things about sabots or solid lead. My state won't let you use sabots for muzzle loader season.

Are power belt concidered sabots or not?

and What is the real story on using sabots or lead bullets in a BP with the fast twist of 1:28. I know most side locks have a pretty slow twist.
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2009
  2. sandhillmike

sandhillmike New Member

I've shot round ball with my Wolf with no adverse affects. But, I don't have a manual for it so maybe I just don't know any better. :D
  3. newbee

newbee New Member

Being new to Black powder ML's I thaught I should ask. I know most older style ML's have a pretty slow twist 1:48 or even 1:62. So I didn't know if the faster twist would cause extreme leading of the barrel. I also remember how hard it is to delead a barrel.

I also knew cva has some connection to the makers of the powerbelt bullets.
  4. phinsnfur1

phinsnfur1 Member

Powerbelts are not a sabot only have a seal at the rear of the full size conical bullet
  5. newbee

newbee New Member

That is good to know I didn't want to run the risk of getting a big fine and loosing my truck and rifle. If you check out my photo album you can see some really nice sheep.