BULLSEYE SHOOTING-GUN

Discussion in 'Competition Shooting Forum' started by BETH, Jul 23, 2009.

1. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

I have noticed that some guns are called target guns, now are these the only guns you can use in Bullseye? Do you have to have a certain barrel length or something? Because they are taget guns are they more accurate?
  2. 300 H&H

300 H&H Active Member

BETH,

Beware of the use of the word "target"....Bullseye is truely a "target grade" sport, by that I mean the pistols used tend to be more expensive, as they are more precise, and deliver accuracy on par with price. Barrel length may vary however, but usually nothing less than 4-5", and perhaps as much as 10". For me to say a handgun is a target gun, it must have adjustable sights, a good trigger pull, a some what heavy barrel for the muzzle heavy feel I like, and some other shooters who are shooting them in competition and doing well with one. It is much easier if you are shooting a know gun that others have had good experiance with. And of course it must fit your budget. Don't rule out a good used pistol either, as they are less expensive and may let you buy a better gun. I am sure others will give you more good ideas. Good luck, Kirk
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2009
  3. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info Kirk i am a new shooter was thinking of later going into Bullseye. I fell in love with the Walther p22 and i think i was using the shorter barrel, now if i got that same gun with a 5" barrel the accuracy would be better right. Maybe i should practice shooting for a while. I also liked the citation and a Browning lr but never shot one. I guess my question is -Is it stupid for me to buy one gun to practice with and later buy a target gun or should i start off with a target gun?
  4. Tom Militano

Tom Militano New Member

Several things to bear in mind Beth. The longer sight radius is a advantage over a short one. Why buy two guns? Buy the one you plan to shoot in competition. When I was competing I was shooting a S&W model 41 short heavy barrel with an extended rib for a longer sight radius. I don't know about now, but when I was competing about 85%of the shooters were shooting model 41's. Most of the rest were shooting High Standards.
  5. sweetokole

sweetokole New Member

When I shot, there were 3 disciplines... 22 rim, center fire, which was usually shot with a 1911 in 38 and 45... your could shoot the 45 in the center fire match... which meant you were pretty beat up at the end of the day... I forgot... there was also a "Ball" match at the end... talk about beat up... and try building a "ball" gun that would shoot 1-3/8" at 50.
  6. deadin

deadin Well-Known Member

Most Bullseye shooters now use dot scopes so the barrel length doesn't gain you much. (The main advantage for a long barrel is sight radius. With a 'scope this isn't a factor.)
    As for what is being used in matches these days, I'm afraid that the sun is beginning to set on the M41. I'm not saying it's not an excellent pistol, but I'm seeing more and more "Euroguns" in competition. Our little group the shoots on Monday afternoons consists of 2 Benelli MP95, 2 Pardinis, a Walther GSP and a Sig Trailside. The Trailside is nowhere near as pricey as the others, but the guy shooting it is right up there in the standings.
    Sometimes I shoot in with the Monday evening group and there are maybe 4 or 5 M41's out of the 14 or 15 shooters. There are a good number of Rugers of various Marks (Most of them have had work to make them more usable) and a few Buckmarks, S&W M22A's and various other makes including a few more Euroguns.
    It boils down to more the shooter than the gun, but when your skills reach a certain level, the gun can start holding you back.
  7. The_Rifleman

The_Rifleman New Member

My dad has a Ruger Mark II, My brother has a Ruger Mark II Target. This was a year ago when I tried this... The target one shot about a 6 inch 9 shot group at 100 yards. The regular one shot a 12 inch 9 shot group at 100 yards.

That was with iron sights so it isn't a very scientific test but I believe the longer bull barrel made a big difference.
  8. wpage

wpage Active Member

Good question... Shooting the bull is the ideal. The bullseye the dream. Unless you are like Annie Oakley the dream shot of all time.
    Its all in what you are after at the range and the quality of you gun your ammo your optics and your skill...
    Enjoy the challenge!