BULLSEYE

Discussion in 'Competition Shooting Forum' started by BETH, Jul 13, 2009.

1. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

Thinking of going into Bullseye competion what do u think of High Standard Citation or Browning .22 LR:D
  2. Claude Clay

Claude Clay New Member

hi & welcome to TFF

either gun has potential--id start with 8+ types of ammo and bench test each of them to get a 'baseline'

start with a clean gun and than between each ammo run a bore snake 3 times with a bit of rem oil sprayed on the tail.
    test 5 rounds at 25, 50 and 75 feet.
    load 6 and fire wide the 1st of each group--that is usually the flyer.

now you have a feel for which ammo groups best at each distance and how well the gun performs overall.

do you have these two already or are they what are availabe to you easy?
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2009
  3. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

sorry but i don't know what u are talking about i am a new shooter going to the range this Sun for the 1st time i would like to get into bullseye and i have just been looking around on the internet to see what i think is a good gun.
  4. JUNKKING

JUNKKING Active Member

Hi there and welcome to the forum. For being a new shooter you sure did pick some fine guns to start with. I can't advise you on the sport of bullseye shooting, But Claude has the right idea. Try many different ammo's to see which shoots the best for you out of your particular gun. Don't overlook the Rugers either. They are fine shooters. Good luck, JUNK
  5. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

thank u for your help i thought the only difference in ammo was how far and fast it would go. i know there is hollow point and i think copper point? i did not know you could have one gun and by using different ammo it would re-act differently-WOW. when u buy ammo do you have to buy a box at a time? i guess i better start looking up ammo now?
  6. Maximilian II

Maximilian II New Member

As a new shooter, I definiely suggest you devote some time talking to the more experienced shooters at the range, and here on this forum. There is a lot to learn, and it's all fun!
    Glad to see you're interested in developing accurate shooting first. Without it, what's the point? You see, misses don't count when you're shooting at best, and can at worst pose a danger to the people you don't want to hurt.
    I'm assuming you're a woman from your screen name. One piece of advice here. Yes, shooting still tends to be an activity that tends to be "male-ocentric." Don't let that discourage you in the least, PLEASE! My wife is ex-law enforcement, and at the academy she scored 98% marksmanship and 100% on the practical course with a pistol. She's still my match or better with a semiauto pistol. In fact, to definitively outshoot her we'd have to be shooting long range rifles or moving targets like birds or clays with shotguns.
    Also- you might have noticed from the volume of posts on this board, shooters usually LOVE to ramble on, debate, and otherwise discuss about the hobby. Use this. It's how we impart knowledge from the experienced and knowledgeable to the newer shooters. You'll find no shortage of people who want to talk about what we all like to do. We do love an appreciative audience.
    Good luck!
  7. JUNKKING

JUNKKING Active Member

What Max said!! There are also MANY women on this forum that I think can shoot with a man any day of the week. I know my bride is not afraid to shoot any gun I pass her way. Read all of the posts in all of the different genres. There is not only knowledge here but fun people.
  8. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

THANKS FOR ALL THE REPLY'S I AM LEARNING A LOT, GLAD A JOINED THIS FORUM
  9. Crpdeth

Crpdeth New Member

Welcome Beth!

I'd like to expound just a little bit on Clauds's post... Try sand bagging while trying out those different types of ammo. A sandbag can be made of many things and I prefer a homemade canvas bag filled with beans.

You would sit the sandbag/bags on the bench and use them to cradle the firearm so that very little movement is allowed, taking time and carefully squeezing off each shot. By doing this you will eliminate a lot of "flinch" and movement. Even long time shooters sometimes have a hard time breaking the habit of flinching and anticipating recoil... As you already know, the .22 will have virtually no recoil, but for newer shooters there is always the potential, so needless to say, there would be little reason to try several different brands of ammo if you are moving around.

Yes, different ammo functions differently... We refer to it as "which ammo my particular firearm likes"... You can take two firearms which are exactly the same and each one will "like" a different kind of cartridge... Weird, but true. :)

Anyway, like someone said, there is a lot to learn, but it is fun and we like talking about it.

Crpdeth
  10. kutaho

kutaho New Member

Peoples Republic of the Pacific Northwest
    And pay attention to your heart beat, i shoot on the down side of the pulse.
    Just my 1/2 cents worth
  11. TOOHSOTKIL

TOOHSOTKIL New Member

I`m not sure which Browning model you refer to, but do not used any high speed/velocity ammo in the Hi Standard, a design flaw will cause the frame to crack over time. And if you are buying used, make sure you check for cracked frames. looking over the top as in firing, the right rear of the top of the magazine cut out.Change out the recoil spring #5 as soon as you get it Wolff even makes a complete spring package for most Hi Standard guns.Good luck
  12. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

IF I AM ANY GOOD AT THE RANGE AND DECIDE TO GET INTO BULLSEYE I WILL TALK TO MANY PEOPLE ABOUT WHETHER TO GET NEW GUN OR USED IF I DECIDE ON USED I WILL HAVE SOMEONE FROM THE RANGE GO WITH ME AS I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT USED GUNS AND DO NOT WANT TO GET TAKEN OVER THE COALS. A CRACK-WOW-THANKS FOR THE INFO ON THE AMMO I AM TAKING IN ALL THE ADVICE I CAN-THANKS SO MUCH TO YOU AND EVERYONE THAT HAS TRIED TO HELP ME. WAS THINKING OF GETTING .22 BROWNING LR, THAT WAS ONE CHOICE
  13. Beth, please drop the all-caps in your posts. In an online forum, it is generally considered to be shouting. Thanks for your consideration. ;)
  14. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

Sorry for the caps i got in the habit because some of my friends can't read the small letters-tough getting old--how can i put in a quote in reply?
  15. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

You ca hit the "quote" button at the bottom of the post you want to quote and get the whole post.

Or, you can put your mouse on the first charcter of what you want to quote and highlight it by holding down the button while you move the mouse over what you want. Then let go of the button. Hit ctrl-C (hold the control key and hit the C key" to cd apture the stuf you have highlighted. Now make your post and when you want to insert the quote hit the marker at the top of the entry page that looks like a typed page wtih a tail. That will put the
  16. sweetokole

sweetokole New Member

When I shot BE which was years ago... the hot 22's were Karts... don't see the around anymore... then there was the "Shimoda" 22. I believe one of his 22's would be priceless today... I think if I were to get back into it... I would get a Marvel Precision 22 conversion.... that way all my lowers would be the same 1911 grip.
  17. bassn7

bassn7 New Member

everybody is worrying abuot ammo both guns are quite acurate I have 3 high standards that all shoot good 1 citation and 2 throphys the brownings that I have seen shoot good 2 for ammo most shoot 40gr standard velocity becauce it recoils less, for more accurate shots, we have some real good women shooters in our winter leauge 2 shoot 560s and 70s out of 600 so good luck and HAVE FUN
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2010