Bump in the Night

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by StileGuy, Aug 12, 2005.

1. StileGuy

StileGuy New Member

I bought a S&W 1911 a few days ago, and I'm now waiting the requisite ten days to pick it up. So, what should happen last night but my 3 year-old daughter falls out of bed around 2:30 a.m. After crawling back into bed, I hear an unusual thump in the backyard (suburban residential Sacramento County). One of the dogs next door barks a few times. I don't think anything of it. Then, I hear this unusual repetitive sound, like digging but with thumps in between.

I'm curious enough to go to the dark second-story bedroom window and look out; the noise stops immediately. Now I'm a bit anxious, and I'm going to go downstairs and investigate. I grab my new flashlight, and I would have grabbed my new gun, if Uncle Sam wasn't checking to make sure I am not a felon or other undesirable. I go downstairs to check out the noise, but I really can't make anything out of it. I think it was one of the next door neighbor's dogs digging around.

Here's the point: I have recently read threads on this forum regarding whether people keep their weapons loaded at home for instant access. Some people say yes, some say no. What I realized last night is that the last thing I want to worry about is loading and cocking my 1911 while I'm investigating some noise. I wasn't sure before, but now I realize I want that piece READY TO GO.

Any of y'all have interesting or otherwise enlightening "bump in the night" stories?

StileGuy

"Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two make four. If that is granted, all else follows." - George Orwell
  2. Country101

Country101 Active Member

All my stories can be attributed to my wife's 2 cats or a varmit in the yard. Still, I'm about %15 paranoid, so I go check them all out with a cocked and locked .45 or my .44.
  3. SouthernMoss

SouthernMoss *Admin Tech Staff*

Many years ago, my first husband and I had just moved, and had boxes everywhere, including a tall pile of emptied boxes in the foyer waiting for trash day. Our bedroom was just off this foyer. In the middle of the night there was a big noise of falling boxes. Before the boxes had even finished falling, my ex had grabbed his pump shotgun and chambered a shell.

Apparently, the boxes had just overbalanced and fallen on their own, but at the time we had no way of knowing whether there was an intruder who had bumped the pile in the dark.
  4. Jay

Jay New Member

"bump in the night stories" are just one of many reasons to have a firearm close to me. I've educated all in my immediate family... I have a loaded (read... one in the chamber) pistol within easy reach every night. If you're gonna keep your (defensive) firearm unloaded, or locked up, you might as well sell it and buy a ball bat for every room. Just my opinion, everyone has to suit themselves in this regard.
  5. cd45

cd45 New Member

I have never really had a bump in the night problem. I still wleep with a loaded pistol and rifle in the room within easy reach. Right now it is a Gov't .45 and my FAL. There is also the wife's .45 and her AR15. My daughter now wants to keep her Makarov in her bedroom at night, just in case. My family is prepared.
  6. llama.45

llama.45 New Member

the 480 is always loaded on my nightstand
  7. West

West New Member

I keep a locked and loaded AR15 with 6 30 round mags by my bed one ready to go with a round in the chamber, loaded with FMJ. My dad keeps his service Beretta 92 with one in the hole, if I were you I’d defiantly keep one in the in the chamber and on safety, thing you need to think about is the Intruder , better make sure you or your family was in grave danger before you opened up on him, positively identify a weapon before you fire.
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2005
  8. scottmphoto

scottmphoto New Member

An unloaded gun, is a club. I keep 2 loaded guns close by at night. One is my 9mm and the other is a 12ga. pump. I have children and have taught them to have respect for the tools and that they are not toys. We also have 2 dogs in a fenced back yard so nobody can sneak up on us from that side.
  9. 45Smashemflat

45Smashemflat New Member

I guess it depends on the definition of loaded. The revolvers are loaded. The pump gun has the magazine full, but it still must be shucked once.

To the earlier post, everyone has to determine what works best in their tactical environment. I for one don't go with something cocked and locked, as I like to force my brain to shift from Park to Drive after waking up. The racking of the slide accomplishes that and does not slow down my response to any real degree.
  10. I keep a loaded Smith 637 .38 within easy reach at the head of my bed at all times. In other rooms, there are other revolvers, out of sight, but all loaded and ready to rock. An unloaded self-defense weapons is as useless as the proverbial "tits on a boar hog." If you happen to need it, you need it RIGHT THE HELL NOW! I raised three kids with loaded weapons in the house and not once was there ever a problem of any sort. They were taught from infancy that my firearms were off-limits unless I was there to supervise.
  11. user_error

user_error New Member

Ditto. After the third rape and second murder this year in this small town in Arizona, I decided to purchase a pistol for my wife last October. We had a pump-action 20g in the hall closet at all times, but I decided that my wife's walk from work in the dark would be better accompanied by lead than the knife in her purse. Bought a Beretta 92, which was a little bit big for her but I wanted reliability and ease of shooting. I liked it so much, I decided to carry it myself and let her pick out her weapon, a Steyr S9. We're still in testing mode at the range on the Steyr but it seems an excellent choice, second only to my beloved first child, named Beretta.

The only time they aren't loaded are when I'm cleaning them. I also keep 4 spare 15 round mags around, which to some of you may seem silly but I tell ya, there's just no harm at all in being prepared. I may re-think this when my first non-steel child comes along, but I'll always keep a mag handy and within easy reach. And yeah, the shotty pump-action makes for an intimidating and immediately identifiable sound to any intruder, which is why I don't keep a round chambered.
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2005
  12. I couldn't agree with you more, User. It never hurts to be prepared. I keep two speed loaders with that .38, and a Winchester 1300 pump 12 loaded with buckshot close at hand. And yeah, I too don't keep one in the chamber for precisely the same reason you don't.
  13. user_error

user_error New Member

*shuck shuck*
  14. jeep45238

jeep45238 New Member

I keep a .40 taurus with a loaded mag in it and the slide locked back in an opened pistol safe next to my bed. Locked during the day. Stays locked when I'm exhausted as well, I don't want to be grabbing a gun groggy and investigating, I'll take a couple seconds to make sure I heard what I heard.

That and with 2 shotties in the room as well.....neither has a round chambered. The pump of a shotty is proven to be one of the most pyscologically damaging noises, and can make people pee their pants upon hearing it. That.....and with all the ammo I have in my ammo box, I can hunker down for a while in my bedroom.
  15. Crpdeth

Crpdeth New Member

Stile:

I was living alone in a garage apt, kind of a single unit type thing...It was 10:00 pm and I was standing in the dining room with all the lights out, eating a piece of cold pizza, looking at my truck through the wooden slatted blinds, about to go to bed, when a viehicle whipped into my drive and the driver got out very quickly and and apporached the door downstairs and I heard the door open, so I grabbed my shotgun as he was headed up the stairs and when he opened the upstairs door I flipped the light on and he was looking down the barrell of a 12 guage at a 3" Nitro Magnum, he was pretty wigged out repeatedly asking for some guy by name whom I didn't know, I ordered him on the couch and he declined, continueing to demand the whereabouts of the guy he was in search of, I assured him that he didn't live there and that I was about to pull the trigger, which I would have done, but I felt that due to the distance between us, I was very safe and really didn't want to go through the legal BS involved in the aftermath of scattering this guy all over the stairwell, but finally decided to try one last thing before being forced to kill him, I breached the action a bit, took a quick peek to insure that it was indeed loaded and racked it back home forcefully, this let him know that I wasn't holding a toy, nor was I playing games, then I simply told him that he was about to die...It was then that he wisely decided to descend the stairs with me right behind him, he was a tad disorented and went the long way around my truck once outside to get to his viehicle, giving me ample opportunity to read and memorize his plates.

After making the police report, the next day, I recieved a call from a friend at PD and went to talk with him, turns out this wack job was actually just an old country boy who had come to town looking for a guy who had "been with" his underage daughter and was off on his directions, he actually went to the police (seeing me read his plates) and said that after realizing his mistake he wanted to apologize but really didn't want to die in the process.

I've always wondered what might have happened if I hadn't had "ol' grandpappy" leaning against the wall, the poor guy was awfull mad and for good reason.

Now, I've had a few "middle of the night scares" where I have "woke up" in the hall or at the front door with a loaded gun in my hand, so like some of the others, I dont leave one up the pipe, it only takes half a second to load a round and I'm sure the action of doing so will wake me up, to some degree anyway, but lock my firearm up at night? Not on MY life.

Crpdeth
  16. Deputy Dawg

Deputy Dawg Active Member

I keep my 9mm Glock by the bed and a Mossberg 500 12ga shotgun in a closet a few feet away which has a 18 in barrel,on my wife side we keep a Ruger 357mag close by,and they are all loaded.
  17. user_error

user_error New Member

CRP: that's a hair-raising tale. Not only is it a good lesson that some people are just looking for trouble, but also to verify, absolutely certainly, that the guy is a threat that needs to be shot. My compliments on your level-headedness. Although... If this irate father comes barging into his daughter's fling's house, I gotta say I support the right of the other guy to blow him away.
  18. Crpdeth

Crpdeth New Member

Thanks for the compliment...Albeit this story happened many years ago.

The law was in my favor and I realized that I was in my right to cancel the guy, but I was living alone at that time and I had no family to protect and I was an armor plated kid...These days I know for a fact that he would see the light flip on, then see the flash of the steel shot igniting... A solem thought regarding a man who was only doing what most upset, standup, fathers would do in the same scenario, but you better be sure of who's door you are opening.

It would have been a huge nasty mess anyway, in more ways than one. :p

Crpdeth
  19. Deputy Dawg

Deputy Dawg Active Member

If his daughter is under age it would be better for the fathet just to have the guy arrested instead of taking a chance of being shot,at least he could inTexas,or there is allways country justice as long as he does not get caught.Crpdeth glad you keep your cool and did not shoot him even thuogh you would of had ever right to do so.
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2005
  20. You acted most wisely and properly, CRP, at least in my opinion. I think it is well to point out that only an idiot or a fool kills another human being unless he has no other reasonable choice, and you are certainly neither one of those. In that particular situation, you did have another choice which could be exercised without unduly endangering yourself. I agree with you though that when there's family to consider, the situation is quite different. A 12 gauge leaves few witnesses. :cool: