Bump in the Night

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by StileGuy, Aug 12, 2005.

1. rmeron

rmeron New Member

My Makarov with 95gr hp's and my S&W 36 with Win 110gr silver tips are in bed with me every night.
  2. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

Me personally i keep a mossberg 500 with surefire flash and surefire laser 6 in the tube but none in the hole now should the situation arise I keep a norinco sks with 2 30rd mags cinched together and one in the pipe their all my little soft point buddys "LESS CHANCE OF A THRU AND THRU INTO MY NEIGHBORS TRUCK OR HOUSE"
  3. Light Coat

Light Coat New Member

My first wife had an unsatisfactory effect on restful sleep. She was the "Looking for trouble and God I found her" type. She was a well of late night confrontations with psycho friends. That's been a few years; so, I can't detail those any more. Life is much less exciting now; but I keep around 6 loaded hand-guns and 2 shot guns for home defense. All loaded and all in places I can get to from any point in the house. The bedroom sports my FN with a fixed bayonet.

Still as always I would say that I man is more likely to suffer and acute axe wound around my house. I grab the first available object of potential use and use it.
  4. bangbang

bangbang New Member

I must have missed a point that seems important to me.

Do we even have the responsibility to keep our doors locked if we are prepared to protect our homes with deadly force? If not just to keep our firearms from getting stolen and into the wrong hands?

Not locking them seems like inviting intruders to me. One breaking in, would eliminate any doubt over the need to fire.

I believe its a bit naieve to leave your doors unlocked and not expect an intruder, or a theft. Arent locks our first rational protection? Or should we be "asking for trouble" because we think we will be able to protect ouselves every moment? :confused: I can only stay awake so long eating pizza in the dark. :eek:
  5. JohnK3

JohnK3 New Member

bangbang, what's your point?

When I am at home, I rarely lock my doors. Why? Simple. Why not?

I do not have a responsibility to lock my doors. The bad guys have a responsibility to stay out of my house. You'll find no mat on my front door that says "Welcome" so that excuse is gone.

Don't let the current inversion of common sense unduly influence your thought-patterns. What legal, moral reason could someone have for coming into my house uninvited, whether I have the door locked or not? I'm not invading their privacy or their home, they're invading mine. I didn't drag them off the street, hold a gun to their head and say "Walk into my home uninvited!"
  6. delta13soultaker

delta13soultaker New Member

Not taking sides, but there are plenty of people who would sit on a jury and listen to a lawyer explain how leaving your doors unlocked was inviting bloodshed that may have been avoided. It could be articulated in a way that makes the law abiding citizen's actions come out across as why the shooting occured in the first place.

Just stating a sad but certain fact. Not everyone thinks like you, so don't expect your logic to prevail in court.

The Army has a saying I've heard all over about leaving anything unsecured: "If you all locked your crap up there'd be no thieves."

Another saying that goes right there with it. "C.Y.O.A." Cover Your Own Ass

Just my .02
  7. user_error

user_error New Member

One thing I read makes a LOT of sense: I do have a responsibility to keep my guns out of other people's hands. If someone steals my car, or my tv, or my computer or mugs me for my wallet or watch, then yeah--lost a watch, or some money or something with some sentimental value. They take it, sell it or spend it or whatever, and that's the end of it. But we as law-abiding citizens have, I believe, a greater moral responsibility regarding guns: we are morally bound to prevent our deadly weapons from falling into the wrong hands!
  8. Familyguy

Familyguy New Member

AMEN to that!!!
  9. obxned

obxned New Member

I don't worry too much. When the dogs are done chewing, I plan to keep their weapons and throw whats left in the vacant lot. I also have a .45 and 2 shotguns right handy.
  10. pawn

pawn New Member

I understand what you are saying but to me, it is prudent to lock the doors in your home. In my mind, an unlocked door invites trouble- a jury may possibly interpret unlocked doors as negligence (depends on where you live- remember liberals are not rational folks- they tend to be idealists) or even an enthusiastic desire to engage in lethal defense that would otherwise not be necessary.

Distance is your friend, there isnt any tactical advantage in allowing the bad guy to get close to you (an unlocked door allows for comparetively silent entry). Forced entry is likely to produce noise allowing you more reaction time and underscoring to the jury that you aren't some "gun nut" waiting for the chance to kill but rather a level headed citizen engaging in self-defense. Forced entry equates to the homeowner not having any choice, it was either the bad guy or you.

Others may see this differently, that is ok- just my .02 folks

-pawn :)
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2007