Burgess rifle, anyone seen one?

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by Shrapnel, Jul 26, 2010.

1. zita andre

zita andre New Member

We have a burgess that is a combination 12 guage and a .25 caliber rifle. There is a lever that switches from the shotgun to the rifle. Can not find any info on the gun.
  2. Dead Eye

Dead Eye New Member

You described yours as being in very good condition. On today's market the estimated value for one in excellent condition is about $3,000-3,500. I think you said you paid in excess of $5,000. Ouch! This is a very scarce model and perhaps someday it will be worth what you paid. I am a gunsmith, collector, dealer and competition shooter. I've seen several of these over the years; they are fine quality specimens and a number of American manufacturers based the design of their arms on Burgess' patents.
    Just a friendly word of caution- Ask questions first or do some research prior to bidding on a weapon or making a purchase otherwise you can pay too much.
  3. deadin

deadin Well-Known Member

There's the old saying about collectible guns..."You can never pay too much, but you can sure pay too soon.";)
  4. whirley

whirley Member

You have a very unique and interesting gun, actually two guns. I'm sure you enjoy using it.

At any auction, there are two people that believe the item is worth the price. The losing bidder just couldn't raise the bid for some reason. If I want it and think it's worth it, and have the money, I buy it!
  5. NZEF1945

NZEF1945 New Member

Great stuff and I love it - alongside John Browning I reckon that Burgess is the greatest American firearms inventor of all times and the reason I say this is for two reasons - the number of firearm patents he held PLUS the uniqeness of some of his designs - they were HIS designs and not based on the designs of earlier firearms. I own and shoot both a Whitney Kennedy rifle which is a Burgess design and a Burgess 12g Shotgun the same as shown above but without the rib along the barrel.
    It is also interesting to note that Burgess patent designs are stuill in use today and in the Marlin Model 39A and 39M rifles you will find Burgess designs.
    The Colt Burgess, Whitney Kennedy and other rifles made licence and designed by Burgess were far, far superior to the Winchester 1873 to which they were contemporary.
  6. sliclee

sliclee New Member

I have seen and used, fired, many Burgess rifles, all in 44/40.
    Every single one of them was a lever action rifle.
    What you have is a shotgun.
    Uberti,just last year has made a replica of the Burgess, go to their web site.
    WOW, your gun is RARE.
    Colt manufactured this rifle in 1883 and when Winchester saw it they almost had a fit. They made a deal, Colt would stick to pistols, Winchester was about to produce one so They made the deal.
    In 1887, Im not sure about the date was when Colt came out with the Lightining rifle.
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2011
  7. Shrapnel

Shrapnel New Member

I have the Burgess wrist/slide action. You are speaking of the Colt-Burgess, which was a lever action gun. Colt came out with the Lightning in 1884, I have 2 of the first models in 38-40 and 44-40, as well as a Colt 1878 engraved 12 gauge...

[​IMG]

Whitney Kennedy was mentioned in an earlier post, I picked up one of those in high condition. It is the early "S" lever in 44-40. Burgess was also instrumental in the development of this gun...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  8. rjwnz

rjwnz New Member

Wow, is all I can say, and that a quality firearm always seems to just look 'right' somehow, like a fine fighter plane does, thanks for posting, rjwnz
  9. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Great post, how'd I miss this one earlier??? All I can say is WOW ! Beautiful rifles Shrapnel !
  10. Shrapnel

Shrapnel New Member

I just picked up another Whitney Kennedy 44-40 in a rare Saddle Ring Carbine. It is in better shape than the rifle. I haven't had the opportunity to shoot it yet, but I will soon. It looks like this...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  11. 45nut

45nut Active Member

Good Lord, I can't afford such beautiful toys, but I'm glad somebody can and more importantly, they're being shot like their makers intended.

We're not worthy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D :D :D :D
  12. Charon

Charon New Member

My grandfather was a Circuit Judge in South Dakota and left me two Burgess 12 guage shotguns. One an engraved model with two barrels. The other a field model along the lines of the the one shown above. The field model had been shot with smokeless and the top blown off. It was repaired and was still used through the depression. Not pretty, but useful as of then. My dad was given two shells and told to bring home at least three pheasants. Ground shooting was a money and rear end saver.

The high end engraved model has fine engraving with scenes on each side. The cuts are very fine, like a sharp pencil drawing and quite well done. All the barrels are damascus. My dad removed (and lost) the firing pins but I assume they could be remanufactured if I wanted to shoot gramp's guns. No pictures cuz the guns are locked up right now.
  13. rb1953

rb1953 New Member