Burning of the American Flag

Discussion in 'Vietnam Memories Forum' started by Guest, Mar 9, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

dap22
    Senior Chief Moderator II
    (9/30/01 3:12:41 pm)
    | Del All
    ezSupporter
    Burning of the American Flag
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    One of my most bitter memories of the years during and after Vietnam was viewing my own fellow Americans burning the United States flag in protest. It sickened me then and sickens me now to watch the peace extremists burning our flag. Just like the Taliban and its sympathizers.

Why is it NOT a crime which should be accompanied by hard time. To me it's treason, far more than an expression of freedom. The flag stands for those who have sacrificed so that these idiots can do unspeakable things.

Edited by: dap22 at: 10/9/01 2:36:11 pm

LarryJK
    Senior Chief Moderator III
    (9/30/01 5:09:52 pm)
    | Del Re: Burning of the American Flag
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Not only flag burning but also draft card burning made me think..."you bastards don't like it in America...LEAVE"!! My thoughts have been since then, that most of the protesters then were mostly followers...little punks who didn't fit in any where but at protest marches! Wanted to belong somewhere, so they burn the flag or the draft card! But, to the protesters I still say...don't like it here...LEAVE!

homer4
    (10/8/01 6:49:25 pm)
    | Del
    ezSupporter
    Flag burnin
    Once again, with you fellas as in the other posts...no tolerance for flag burners here.

Misterstan
    (10/8/01 7:35:57 pm)
    | Del Re: Flag burnin
    I believe it is more like "following the followers".

I am told that the American flag that flew over our ship in Vietnam has been passed from one shipmate to the other over the years. It must be a tattered and soiled flag from the diesel smoke from the ship's engines but I would be proud as can be to revel in her glory once again.

Misterstan

oneknight
    (10/8/01 8:26:32 pm)
    No matter how tattered, torn or dirty.....IT IS STILL OUR
    AMERICAN FLAG AND MEANS THE SAME.

Most of the flag burners I have seen have their faces covered behind a scarf or mask, guess they know better than to show their faces..............perhaps not out of fear, but shame!

BARTAL
    (10/13/01 9:39:42 pm)
    | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Flag burnin
    I have a flag.......
    I have an old worn flag. It was my Great Great Grandfathers from around 1893. It's old. It's worn, but it's one of the neatest flags I have ever seen. He was in the Civil War. He was a P.O.W. ,and was involved with the old Veteran's group G.A.R. It only has 45 stars on it.
    That flag is now hanging on my front porch. I think he would be proud of me for keeping it and displaying it.

I'm sitting in my office looking through a window and the flag is hanging there. I look at and tears come to my eye's just thinking of all that it means to me.

Peace....Barry

oneknight
    (10/14/01 9:15:51 am)
    Barry,

That's a beautiful story. I'm sure he would be proud that
    the flag remained in the family all these years later and
    that you fly it with such pride. A definite treasure you
    have there.