Burris FastFire II

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by todd51, May 31, 2012.

1. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

I have had this Burris FastFire II reflex red dot for several years. It does a great job for what it was designed such as fast target acquisition in things like action pistol, practical shooting, IDPA or PPC. But that is not what I have wanted to do with it ever since I got it. What I want to do is informal plinking at small targets out to 25 yards and maybe some hope and pray shooting at further distances. The problem has always been the size of the dot. It is supposed to be a 4 MOA dot but under the lighting conditions I usually shoot in the dot "flares" to much larger than 4 MOA. Have discussed it with Burris and they even replaced the first one I purchased but the replacement acts the same way. It appears it is sensing too much light/brightness is present and cranks up the intensity to a point making the sight unusable for my purposes. I have had it on a couple different pistols and get disgusted, take it off and put it in the drawer and then get it back out because it is a $200 sight and I can't leave something like that in the drawer.

I have been playing with ways to cut down on the "sensed" light it is detecting there by lowering the intensity of the dot. If I put my finger over the sensor port that works pretty good but it is not very convenient. ha. I tried masking tape both cream colored and blue. That worked a little better but not good enough. I put electrical tape completely over the sensor port and that cuts out too much light. What I have now is a temporary rig where I put electrical tape almost covering all of the port. That accomplishes the task of reducing the sensed light just fine but is not very durable and a pain to get it just right.

I thought if I spread this problem out here on the forum maybe one of you could come up with a better and more durable solution. The sight is presently mounted on a Ruger MK III Target.

I notice that the new FastFire III has different setting for intensity but not the FastFire II. I know there are other sights on the market now that have solved this problem but I don't want to pay the money to buy another sight if I can figure a way to cut the intensity of the dot on this Burris.

Any thoughts or ideas you might share will be appreciated.
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2013
  2. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Switch to a small square piece of Gorilla tape and completely cover the hole with it. Then just prick a hole in the center with a sewing needle. That should elimnate the tendency to wash the reticle out with brightness. start with a very small sewing needle. if you need a slightly brighter light go the next size up and poke the hole out a fraction bigger.
  3. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

Thanks Josh I will give it a try. Ah, Gorilla tape, is it any different than other "duct" tapes? I have used their wood glue and their super glue but never even looked at their duct tape.
  4. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Its duct tape on steroids.
  5. Rocketman1

Rocketman1 Well-Known Member

Hi Todd.

You might just want to try some clear scotch brand tape. You may be able to rap it all the way around so it will stay on better. I would think that several layers would reduce the amount of light to the sensor.
  6. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

Evening Rocketman.
    You are right about the multiple layers working. I did that with regular masking tape and it took four layers before I got the desired results. I did a couple layers of masking and topped it with a small square of electrical tape and that worked. But the multiple layers prevents placing the sight guard back over the sight when you are done shooting. Because of the way the sight is made wrapping all the way around won't work.

But thanks for the suggestion and keep the brain in gear.
  7. Rocketman1

Rocketman1 Well-Known Member

Ok, one more idea.
    How about dabbing on a dot of black paint, or perhaps put a dot on with a black felt tip. Something you could rub off or clean off in case it dosen't work.
  8. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

Yea, that one made me smile as I thought that might work but I don't have enough guts to give it a try. I am not sure what the material is in that sensor port. I am suspecting it is a fiber optic material taking the available light down to the circuitry but it would be my luck that the felt tip or dab of paint would ruin it. But it probably would work just fine and what I should try if I had the nerve.:dontknow: Thanks
  9. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

what if u take the clear tape and color it with magic marker
  10. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

Well I will give it a try Beth. It is to be raining tomorrow so looks like I won't be going to the range so will give some these suggestions a try. Thanks.
  11. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

Thank you Josh.

I didn't go buy some Gorilla tape but used some electrical tape and your suggestion of using a pin to make a hole over the sensor. Tried it at the range yesterday and it worked great. I now have a nice clear red dot with no "flaring" and it makes shooting the pistol with that sight a real pleasure.
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2013
  12. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I figured it would work. The sensor needs unobstructed light to work properly, just not so much of it. Pricking a smaller hole is the only way to make that happen. :thumbsup:
  13. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

And i only suggested the gorilla tape todd because it will stay put longer and not shrink up on you.