The Firearms Forum banner

But, seein as this here's a 44 Magnum...

6K views 35 replies 18 participants last post by  76Highboy 
#1 ·
The most powerful handgun in the world, and can blow your head clean off...

Of course back in the seventies when Clint Eastwood's movie character Dirty Harry said those iconic lines the .44 Magnum was the most powerful "production" handgun in the world. Now it's been passed up by at least two, maybe more calibers for that title, but when I think of powerful handgun calibers the first one I think of is the .44 Magnum.

As I understand it the .44 Mag still out sells all the more powerful handgun calibers. But... do any of you ever foresee the new top wrist twisters ever being more popular then the good ole .44 Mag someday?

I wonder if anybody ever asked this same question concerning the .357 Magnum back when the .44 Mag came out???? :)

#2 ·
I have seven of them and love shooting all of them. I need a few more. From the reloading data I have the larger and more powerful handgun calibers burn quite a bit more powder. That in itself says a lot about the 44 mag being a great performer. IMO the larger and more powerful handguns have their place buy for me if my .44 won't do the job I would prefer a big game caliber rifle.

#3 ·
The .41 magnum beats the .44 at 100 yards but nobody knows that 'cept a bunch of ballistics junkies.

.454 Casull seems well established and ain't going away.

.50 AE will be around for awhile as lomg as there are Desert Ego pistols and bad movies.;)

#4 ·
The .41 magnum beats the .44 at 100 yards but nobody knows that 'cept a bunch of ballistics junkies.

.454 Casull seems well established and ain't going away.

.50 AE will be around for awhile as lomg as there are Desert Ego pistols and bad movies.;)
I have two .41's. I wish the bullet manufacturers would develop more bullet choices for the .41. That would be a fun caliber to experiment with. For sure.

#5 ·
My buddy (who loads for me) put together 300 gr. cast bullet .44's for me to use deer hunting; after sighting in my contender for 12 shots I can honestly say I don't want anything stouter. .44 mag is about the top of my pistol power.
After shooting one shot in a 500 the most skilled pistol shooter I know put the gun down and stated quite loudly that he wasn't shooting this train wreck again; I did not even feel the need to try one shot.

Hot .44 mag is my limit, I can develop a flinch quite fine with it thank you very much.

#6 ·
There are several calibers more powerfull than the .44 magnum. The reason I think the .44 mag has retained it's popularity is due to size. The larger the caliber, the more presures pile up, requiring more metal to contain them. Thus, a heavier gun. The .44 mag is also about all most pistoleros want to handle. It's lighter, easier to carry, but still gets the job done, and usually with a lot less recoil.

#7 · (Edited)
For many people the .44 mag is the biggest caliber that they can reasonably handle with anything approaching full power loads. It is a fairly specialized cartridge that many can use. The bigger ones are even more specialized and even more difficult to use, but if you can handle them, they can be serious fun. I took out my .500 S&W JRS on Sunday and it was fun, but I am shooting less than full power loads.

Attachments

#8 ·
But... do any of you ever foresee the new top wrist twisters ever being more popular then the good ole .44 Mag someday?
I doubt it. I've shot the .454 and big 500SW and I gotta say that it's not a pleasant experience. I think that the level of punishment they deal out is more than the average, or above average recoil junky is willing to take. If I owned either of these calibers I would download it to something tolerable. Because of that, most owners would have to be reloaders and that would probably keep the market light.

They are big, heavy and expensive. They do have a nice "wow" factor, but as to practical uses, not many.

Now if I was Zurth, fishin' those Alaska rivers during the salmon runs, I would have a 500 strapped to my side.

Here's a pic of my 4" model 29 next to my buddy's 500.

Attachments

#11 ·
For many people the .44 mag is the biggest caliber that they can reasonably handle with anything approaching full power loads. It is a fairly specialized cartridge that many can use. The bigger ones are even more specialized and even more difficult to use, but if you can handle them, they can be serious fun. I took out my .500 S&W JRS on Sunday and it was fun, but I am shooting less than full power loads.
Those things are damn hand cannons :bow:

#12 ·
The hardest kicking pistol I can spend a day shooting and not develop a flinch is a medium frame .357 with hot loads.

Anything more and i might as well be beating on my hand with a ballpeen hammer.

#14 ·
i agree.. much larger than 44mag has a wow factor.. but for practical use.. I wouldn't want to sling lead for any period of time 44mag and up.

I have a nice anaconda long bbl in 44 mag.

for S&G's i got a 50ae and a 500sw the 44mag I can one hand.. the 50ae I've learned to one hand. the 500.. lets face it.. it's a bear and it's just not pleasent to shoot. ( i imagine it's not pleasent to be on the other end either mind you! )

other hand cannon I'm fond of is 45winmag ok.. so maybee not a cannon... but my automagIV is fun..

next is my real automag in 44amp

now that one i just have to take out and look at every now and then... love that gun...

#16 ·
I fired a Ruger .460 Alaskian my friend has, no fun in shooting that thing ! That's alot of power out of a 5 shot 2 inch barrel. Flame, Noise, and Recoil.... I'm too old for that anymore.
Yeah, I've shot a short barreled .44 Magnum, and if it's a bit dark out it will blind you from the muzzle flash. I joked and said " at least if you miss the Bear, you'll most likely catch it on fire"... I can only imagine what some of these crazy over bore calibers look like out of short barrel revolvers. :)

#18 ·
I have shot a short barreled 500, and the 460 in a longer barrel, neither one are something I want to spend a lot of time doing. The 454 ain't to bad but for my money the 44 is the most gun I want to shoot a lot. That said I like the 41 most of all.
Yeah, I've been somewhat surprised to hear (read) just how popular the .41mag seems to be. A buddy of mine bought a brand new Ruger Blackhawk in .41mag and at the time (circa 1985ish ) I remember asking him why he didn't just go a few bucks more and get the Super Blackhawk in .44mag.

He said his father had owned a Blackhawk in .41mag and he had basically been really impressed with it and felt in someways it was superior to a .44mag.

Myself I guess I just always viewed the .41mag kind of the same way I always viewed the 16 gauge shotgun; not quite a 20 gauge, and not quite a 12 gauge. The .41mag is not quite a .357mag, but not quite a .44mag either. But, I will say all the times I shot my friends .41mag it was a straight shooter. It's a shame they don't offer more range of loads, it may gain popularity if they did.

I guess that kind of brings me full circle on this topic... I was wondering if the .44mag was being seen anymore by most as more then a .357, but not quite a .454, or a .500? But, it seems it still has a healthy following. :)

#19 · (Edited)
Yeah, I've been somewhat surprised to hear (read) just how popular the .41mag seems to be. A buddy of mine bought a brand new Ruger Blackhawk in .41mag and at the time (circa 1985ish ) I remember asking him why he didn't just go a few bucks more and get the Super Blackhawk in .44mag.

He said his father had owned a Blackhawk in .41mag and he had basically been really impressed with it and felt in someways it was superior to a .44mag.

Myself I guess I just always viewed the .41mag kind of the same way I always viewed the 16 gauge shotgun; not quite a 20 gauge, and not quite a 12 gauge. The .41mag is not quite a .357mag, but not quite a .44mag either. But, I will say all the times I shot my friends .41mag it was a straight shooter. It's a shame they don't offer more range of loads, it may gain popularity if they did.

I guess that kind of brings me full circle on this topic... I was wondering if the .44mag was being seen anymore by most as more then a .357, but not quite a .454, or a .500? But, it seems it still has a healthy following. :)
The .41 is a popular choice around here for pig hunting. And there are more loads available now than there used to be. Federal offers a 250 gr cast core, and BuffaloBore up to 265gr. The downside is price. About $1.85 every time you pull the trigger. :eek: Cheaper Than Dirt, also stocks some other loads from Winchester, Remington, and others, for less than you'll find elsewhere. http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ItemListing.aspx?catid=681

#21 ·
The hardest kicking pistol I can spend a day shooting and not develop a flinch is a medium frame .357 with hot loads.

Anything more and i might as well be beating on my hand with a ballpeen hammer.
Is it really like that ? I never fired anything bigger than a 45 acp....

I have a bad hankerin for a 357 mag or a 44 mag, might be an age thing but in the 70's the 357 and 44 was the talk :cool:, the new calibers will never shine to me like the 357 mag and the 44 mag :cool:

#23 ·
Was talking to the wife last night about really, really, stocking up on .44 bullets, and some other reloading items. The only way to go if you really want to shoot much at all.

#24 ·
Is it really like that ? I never fired anything bigger than a 45 acp....

I have a bad hankerin for a 357 mag or a 44 mag, might be an age thing but in the 70's the 357 and 44 was the talk :cool:, the new calibers will never shine to me like the 357 mag and the 44 mag :cool:
45acp and 44 mag are almost no comparison... at least to me. 44mag is the largest ican reasonable 1 hand, for a limited number of shots. I can do 50ae.. but on a very limited bassis 1 hand.. and followup shots on 44m or 50ae are slow due to recoil. on 45acp, i can 1 hand all day and fast followup shots.

a heavy 44m or 50ar firearm helps witht he recoil.. but makes the gun more unwieldly and again.. slow to put followup shots on paper..

with anything.. I'm sure there are plenty of variables between people. someone with massive wrists and tree trunk sized arms may be able to 'wheelgun' a 44m all day with no problem.. etc.

I know my 500swm is effectively a single shot revolver. it's a 2 handed , lean into it, kinda thing.. and follow up shot is measured in seconds.. probably 3 or so onthe first followup.. maybee slower on subsequent.. :)

#25 ·
45acp and 44 mag are almost no comparison... at least to me. 44mag is the largest ican reasonable 1 hand, for a limited number of shots. I can do 50ae.. but on a very limited bassis 1 hand.. and followup shots on 44m or 50ae are slow due to recoil. on 45acp, i can 1 hand all day and fast followup shots.

a heavy 44m or 50ar firearm helps witht he recoil.. but makes the gun more unwieldly and again.. slow to put followup shots on paper..

with anything.. I'm sure there are plenty of variables between people. someone with massive wrists and tree trunk sized arms may be able to 'wheelgun' a 44m all day with no problem.. etc.

I know my 500swm is effectively a single shot revolver. it's a 2 handed , lean into it, kinda thing.. and follow up shot is measured in seconds.. probably 3 or so onthe first followup.. maybee slower on subsequent.. :)
Though I love the double action revolvers, but when you get to the .44 mag, and larger, double action revolvers are a waste of money. I can empty a .38 revolver in seconds, and hit what I'm shooting at. It takes longer to do the same with a double action .44 mag due to recoil.

#26 ·
Though I love the double action revolvers, but when you get to the .44 mag, and larger, double action revolvers are a waste of money. I can empty a .38 revolver in seconds, and hit what I'm shooting at. It takes longer to do the same with a double action .44 mag due to recoil.
i agree.. I can dump 4 of my 5 shots out of my tarus 85 or my smith 38 in the time ittakes to get 1 off in the larger ones.

mind you.. as long as we are shooting accurately.. either will do it ;)

the 44m is just not practical for me to 'carry' it's a colt anaconda.. so to 'carry' it I'd need a trench coat or something.. :)

a 38 snubby I can pocket.. or paddle holster IWB.. etc..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.