But, seein as this here's a 44 Magnum...

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Rogeritall, Nov 4, 2012.

1. Rogeritall

Rogeritall Member

The most powerful handgun in the world, and can blow your head clean off...

Of course back in the seventies when Clint Eastwood's movie character Dirty Harry said those iconic lines the .44 Magnum was the most powerful "production" handgun in the world. Now it's been passed up by at least two, maybe more calibers for that title, but when I think of powerful handgun calibers the first one I think of is the .44 Magnum.

As I understand it the .44 Mag still out sells all the more powerful handgun calibers. But... do any of you ever foresee the new top wrist twisters ever being more popular then the good ole .44 Mag someday?

I wonder if anybody ever asked this same question concerning the .357 Magnum back when the .44 Mag came out???? :)
  2. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I have seven of them and love shooting all of them. I need a few more. From the reloading data I have the larger and more powerful handgun calibers burn quite a bit more powder. That in itself says a lot about the 44 mag being a great performer. IMO the larger and more powerful handguns have their place buy for me if my .44 won't do the job I would prefer a big game caliber rifle.
  3. B27

B27 New Member

The .41 magnum beats the .44 at 100 yards but nobody knows that 'cept a bunch of ballistics junkies.

.454 Casull seems well established and ain't going away.

.50 AE will be around for awhile as lomg as there are Desert Ego pistols and bad movies.;)
  4. 76Highboy

I have two .41's. I wish the bullet manufacturers would develop more bullet choices for the .41. That would be a fun caliber to experiment with. For sure.
  5. CHW2021

CHW2021 Active Member

My buddy (who loads for me) put together 300 gr. cast bullet .44's for me to use deer hunting; after sighting in my contender for 12 shots I can honestly say I don't want anything stouter. .44 mag is about the top of my pistol power.
    After shooting one shot in a 500 the most skilled pistol shooter I know put the gun down and stated quite loudly that he wasn't shooting this train wreck again; I did not even feel the need to try one shot.

Hot .44 mag is my limit, I can develop a flinch quite fine with it thank you very much.
  6. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    There are several calibers more powerfull than the .44 magnum. The reason I think the .44 mag has retained it's popularity is due to size. The larger the caliber, the more presures pile up, requiring more metal to contain them. Thus, a heavier gun. The .44 mag is also about all most pistoleros want to handle. It's lighter, easier to carry, but still gets the job done, and usually with a lot less recoil.
  7. Tom

Tom Member

For many people the .44 mag is the biggest caliber that they can reasonably handle with anything approaching full power loads. It is a fairly specialized cartridge that many can use. The bigger ones are even more specialized and even more difficult to use, but if you can handle them, they can be serious fun. I took out my .500 S&W JRS on Sunday and it was fun, but I am shooting less than full power loads.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 5, 2012
  8. garydude

garydude Member

I doubt it. I've shot the .454 and big 500SW and I gotta say that it's not a pleasant experience. I think that the level of punishment they deal out is more than the average, or above average recoil junky is willing to take. If I owned either of these calibers I would download it to something tolerable. Because of that, most owners would have to be reloaders and that would probably keep the market light.

They are big, heavy and expensive. They do have a nice "wow" factor, but as to practical uses, not many.

Now if I was Zurth, fishin' those Alaska rivers during the salmon runs, I would have a 500 strapped to my side.

Here's a pic of my 4" model 29 next to my buddy's 500.

Attached Files:

9. GunnyGene

GunnyGene New Member

Another .41 mag fan here. The industry is making a wider variety of loads lately. Up to 265 gr. from Buffalo Bore https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_list&c=18 .

My rig:

[​IMG]
  10. 76Highboy

11. cheesewiz

cheesewiz Active Member

Those things are damn hand cannons :bow:
  12. B27

B27 New Member

The hardest kicking pistol I can spend a day shooting and not develop a flinch is a medium frame .357 with hot loads.

Anything more and i might as well be beating on my hand with a ballpeen hammer.
  13. GunnyGene

GunnyGene New Member

14. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

i agree.. much larger than 44mag has a wow factor.. but for practical use.. I wouldn't want to sling lead for any period of time 44mag and up.

I have a nice anaconda long bbl in 44 mag.

for S&G's i got a 50ae and a 500sw the 44mag I can one hand.. the 50ae I've learned to one hand. the 500.. lets face it.. it's a bear and it's just not pleasent to shoot. ( i imagine it's not pleasent to be on the other end either mind you! )

other hand cannon I'm fond of is 45winmag ok.. so maybee not a cannon... but my automagIV is fun..

next is my real automag in 44amp

now that one i just have to take out and look at every now and then... love that gun...
  15. Rugermanws

Rugermanws Member

I fired a Ruger .460 Alaskian my friend has, no fun in shooting that thing ! That's alot of power out of a 5 shot 2 inch barrel. Flame, Noise, and Recoil.... I'm too old for that anymore.