But, seein as this here's a 44 Magnum...

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Rogeritall, Nov 4, 2012.

1. Rogeritall

Rogeritall Member

Yeah, I've shot a short barreled .44 Magnum, and if it's a bit dark out it will blind you from the muzzle flash. I joked and said " at least if you miss the Bear, you'll most likely catch it on fire"... I can only imagine what some of these crazy over bore calibers look like out of short barrel revolvers. :)
  2. wolfdog

wolfdog Member

I have shot a short barreled 500, and the 460 in a longer barrel, neither one are something I want to spend a lot of time doing. The 454 ain't to bad but for my money the 44 is the most gun I want to shoot a lot. That said I like the 41 most of all.
  3. Rogeritall

Rogeritall Member

Yeah, I've been somewhat surprised to hear (read) just how popular the .41mag seems to be. A buddy of mine bought a brand new Ruger Blackhawk in .41mag and at the time (circa 1985ish ) I remember asking him why he didn't just go a few bucks more and get the Super Blackhawk in .44mag.

He said his father had owned a Blackhawk in .41mag and he had basically been really impressed with it and felt in someways it was superior to a .44mag.

Myself I guess I just always viewed the .41mag kind of the same way I always viewed the 16 gauge shotgun; not quite a 20 gauge, and not quite a 12 gauge. The .41mag is not quite a .357mag, but not quite a .44mag either. But, I will say all the times I shot my friends .41mag it was a straight shooter. It's a shame they don't offer more range of loads, it may gain popularity if they did.

I guess that kind of brings me full circle on this topic... I was wondering if the .44mag was being seen anymore by most as more then a .357, but not quite a .454, or a .500? But, it seems it still has a healthy following. :)
  4. GunnyGene

GunnyGene New Member

The .41 is a popular choice around here for pig hunting. And there are more loads available now than there used to be. Federal offers a 250 gr cast core, and BuffaloBore up to 265gr. The downside is price. About $1.85 every time you pull the trigger. :eek: Cheaper Than Dirt, also stocks some other loads from Winchester, Remington, and others, for less than you'll find elsewhere. http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ItemListing.aspx?catid=681
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2012
  5. wolfdog

wolfdog Member

Cast reloads cost me about 12 cents apiece, jacketed about 30. About the same as it cost me to reload 44. Shoots flater than a 44, kills pigs just about as well.
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2012
  6. Jackman

Jackman New Member

Is it really like that ? I never fired anything bigger than a 45 acp....

I have a bad hankerin for a 357 mag or a 44 mag, might be an age thing but in the 70's the 357 and 44 was the talk :cool:, the new calibers will never shine to me like the 357 mag and the 44 mag :cool:
  7. GunnyGene

GunnyGene New Member

Reloading is the best way to go with the .41, but I don't shoot it enough to justify getting the equipment to do it.
  8. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Was talking to the wife last night about really, really, stocking up on .44 bullets, and some other reloading items. The only way to go if you really want to shoot much at all.
  9. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

45acp and 44 mag are almost no comparison... at least to me. 44mag is the largest ican reasonable 1 hand, for a limited number of shots. I can do 50ae.. but on a very limited bassis 1 hand.. and followup shots on 44m or 50ae are slow due to recoil. on 45acp, i can 1 hand all day and fast followup shots.

a heavy 44m or 50ar firearm helps witht he recoil.. but makes the gun more unwieldly and again.. slow to put followup shots on paper..

with anything.. I'm sure there are plenty of variables between people. someone with massive wrists and tree trunk sized arms may be able to 'wheelgun' a 44m all day with no problem.. etc.

I know my 500swm is effectively a single shot revolver. it's a 2 handed , lean into it, kinda thing.. and follow up shot is measured in seconds.. probably 3 or so onthe first followup.. maybee slower on subsequent.. :)
  10. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Though I love the double action revolvers, but when you get to the .44 mag, and larger, double action revolvers are a waste of money. I can empty a .38 revolver in seconds, and hit what I'm shooting at. It takes longer to do the same with a double action .44 mag due to recoil.
  11. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

i agree.. I can dump 4 of my 5 shots out of my tarus 85 or my smith 38 in the time ittakes to get 1 off in the larger ones.

mind you.. as long as we are shooting accurately.. either will do it ;)

the 44m is just not practical for me to 'carry' it's a colt anaconda.. so to 'carry' it I'd need a trench coat or something.. :)

a 38 snubby I can pocket.. or paddle holster IWB.. etc..
  12. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

After shooting my 44 mag my 357 seems like a 22. I can't believe how accurate this gun is. I don't need or want any gun more powerful than this.

Ruger 44 mag.JPG
  13. Jackman

Jackman New Member

SoundGuy and Carver good reading and excellent comparison Carver on the 38 versus 44 :cool: I can relate my 1911 45acp versus the 1906 38acp 45 rapid fire all over the target board with 38 rapid firer much tighter pattern:D....

i want and will get a 357 mag or 44 mag soon , looked at the 500 SW today nice piece and appears massive nut trying for an older Colt.
  14. Rogeritall

Rogeritall Member

If I ever get another .357 Magnum, I would love to find a Colt Python with a six inch or so barrel. I had an older Dan Wesson .357mag (15-2 model I think?) with the eight inch barrel that had the vented rib, and under lug, but I had to sell it due to company lay off. Man I wish I had it back, I took my first whitetail deer with that revolver. But I've always had a hankering for a Colt Python. Maybe someday...

Here's a photo of the Dan Wesson I had... Note the Deer antlers are not yet finalized as far as mounting them, that was just a pre-fit.
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2012
  15. Dog Soldier

Dog Soldier New Member

Eastwood was not using a Mdl. 29 S&W .44 Mag in that movie. That was a Mdl 57 S&W .41 Mag. dedicated hand gunners spotted that small bore right away. They said they were unable to find a Mdl.29 at that time. The props dept. rented the Mdl.57 from a private gun owner.;)