Butler Creek carbon fiber 18" ported barrel

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by Smokin Guns, Mar 7, 2003.

1. Smokin Guns

Smokin Guns New Member

Fasthorse
    (7/25/01 7:07:23 pm)
    Reply Butler Creek carbon fiber 18" ported barrel
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Does anyone have one of these on their ruger 10-22? I need some feedback on this barrel. Pro and cons

LIKTOSHOOT
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (7/25/01 7:23:49 pm)
    Reply Re: Butler Creek carbon fiber 18" ported barrel
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Got several mounted, whats your need? By the way WELCOME!! Ported or Non?....LTS
    "am not" R2

Fasthorse
    (7/25/01 7:34:16 pm)
    General target shooting, what kind of groups do you get at 50 yards. Is the balance good. Going to put it on a butler creek hot legs bipod stock.

Fasthorse
    (7/25/01 7:34:56 pm)
    by they way want the ported model

LIKTOSHOOT
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (7/25/01 8:25:52 pm)
    I have two of each mounted and prefer the non-ported(but these are hunting rigs, so less report is required) These barrels will produce sub 1/2" @ 50 yards, depending on what ammo your receiver likes, balance, I`m not sure of your real intent..in this question. If you use a bi-pod...it`s not going to matter in this rifle. To give you an idea of weight, my non-ported barrel(carbon), in a Butler Creek .920 Target stock with all titanium internals, with a 6x16x40 scope...rings the scales at just under 7lbs loaded with a sling and scope caps. The same rifle in a steel 20" BC barrel weights almost 9 lbs. I have machined a few thousands off the bolt on mine, for a very tight headspace, depending on the ammo used; each one is built for specific ammo use....except one. Each will deliver sub 1/2" @50 yards. The ones I max out, with the non-ported barrel will shoot 1/4" with match ammo....all day long. If you like the 10/22 and have the time......the fun never ends. I have a custom 24" .825 steel barrel that will group 3/8" @75..W/Eley on a calm day.....but it`s to heavy to hump for hunting. Remember these BC Carbon barrels are really 17" not 18".......so there preety darn good for the length. LTS
    "am not" R2

Fasthorse
    (7/26/01 12:06:05 am)
    Thanks for the info, I'm in the process of customizing my ruger. Next step is working on the trigger.

kdubaz
    (7/26/01 5:08:31 pm)
    Welcome to the board, Fasthorse.
    Keep below the ridgeline!

Fasthorse
    (7/27/01 7:00:34 am)
    Welcome all
    Looking foward to reading the threads here