Buttermilk Chess Pie

Discussion in 'Ruffit's Domestic & Wild Game Cooking/ Recipe Foru' started by 45nut, Sep 1, 2009.

1. 45nut

45nut Active Member

1 cup sugar
    2 Tablespoons flour
    1 cup buttermilk
    1 stick butter, softened
    1 to 1 1/2 teaspoon Vanilla
    Dash of Nutmeg
    2 eggs
    1 Pie shell

Mix butter and sugar, then add flour, buttermilk, eggs and seasonings. Pour into pie shell and bake at 325 until pie is firm, about 50 minutes for me. Let cool completely before cutting. May add some coconut if you like it or 1 cup of melted chocolate chips or use lemon extract instead of vanilla. Dust with powdered sugar and serve with hot coffee.
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2009
  2. muddober

muddober Active Member

OMG does that sound good. I am beginning to feel like I have joined a cooking forum and I love it. Maybe I will add just a tiny, tiny pinch of Bullseye so I don't run afoul of forum rules. I am off to the store for the buttermilk and pie shell.
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2009
  3. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Couple of questions.

The pie shell. Pastry, or will graham cracker work? Raw dough and it cooks with the pie, or prebaked crust?
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2009
  4. 45nut

45nut Active Member

I use the pre-made pie shells. Put the filling in the thawed uncooked pie shell, bake and enjoy.
  5. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

I'll be trying my first one after I get back from a little fishing trip; I can't wait to try this. I've had it a few times, but never found a good recipe until now. I'll be up on the Brazos near Possum Kingdom trying to fight off this cold front and hopefully catch a few stripers. I'll have to post up some good striper recipes after I try out a couple.
  6. flannelman

flannelman New Member

Rural Arkansas. But isn't all of Arkansas rural?
    My most favorite pie in the universe. My Mom is making one for out family dinner tomorrow. My family togather with my Brother, my Mom, and my Sister and her family will be having briscut, green beans, homemade bread, and a bunch of other good stuff including buttermilk pie. Good stuff!!
  7. pinecone70

pinecone70 Active Member

I had to make one of these pies and try it.....OMG so good!!
  8. 45nut

45nut Active Member

Is this the pie you were baking in 4Evr's post about her kiddos coming home?? :eek: :D Mmmmmm I need to make another one. I think I'll bake one to take on my fly fishing camp out this coming weekend.
  9. pinecone70

pinecone70 Active Member

Yes, it is! I have one Minnesotan hooked on it so far, besides myself! I felt the need to crush the same-old pumpkin, cherry, pecan, all the locals have no imagination--those pies are boring now. LOL!