Buy a gun and not shoot it?

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Xaiver56, Jun 30, 2012.

1. Xaiver56

Xaiver56 New Member

Hi Everyone,

First of all it has been a long time since I have visited the TFF and I have missed it. Now on to my story :

My wife and I went to a local gun show today. The goal of this visit was for me to pick up either an AK-47, HK USP, SIG P226, or some other fun firearm goody as it has been too long and my guns need a new friend.

We meet some other couples there each with their own shopping agenda and set about to do some shopping. As we were making the rounds my wife kept stopping and staring longly as a Colt SAA :

[​IMG]

After about the third time she stopped to admire the firearm I asked her if she really wanted it. She said it looked amazing but we were not there for her and she thought it was too expensive anyway. First off I think adding a Colt to our collection is a good thing, secondly, anytime the wife takes an interest in a particular firearm I think it is good.

We asked the sales guy to take a closer look and once she handled it I knew it was over. We already have a Ruger Vaquero that she loves to shoot and she is a Revolver Girl through and through so of course we had to buy it right?

Any objections my wife had were quickly silenced by our other friends who all thought it was an excellent purchase. As we were filling out paper work the lady asked us: "Are you going to shoot this?"

I quickly replied: "I don't buy a gun unless I am going to shoot it."

This is a NIB Colt SAA, is there any reason to not fire it? I certainly understand that Colts can be collector's items, but seriously why own a gun that you don't shoot?

-Xaiver56
  2. Munch

Munch Member

I, personally consider not firing a gun a waste, it's a gun, shoot it. Thats what it wants to do. I have reservations about buying used firearms that haven't been fired. Why not, what's wrong with this weapon that caused you to not want to use it as intended. To me, a gun that isn't fired is an overpriced paperweight. All of mine are shooters, even those that more than 100 years old.
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2012
  3. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

Like you, I buy them to shoot.
    Some people buy firearms as investments.
    Unfired collectors firearms bring a premium.
    Or did you get that one real cheap? LOL

Has she shot it yet, if so, did she like it?
  4. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Moderator

I buy them to shoot. I don't have an interest in art in the form of a gun.

That's not to say that I don't like good looking guns. Some amazing engraving work has been posted here, and it truly is art. But it's art on a gun, and it's still a gun.

A gun that you're just supposed to look at but not treat like a gun? Nah. Not for me.
  5. norahc

norahc Active Member

An hour's drive from the nearest McDonald's
    I also buy them to shoot, but I have one pistol I will probably never shoot. It is the Webley No. 2 I inherited.
  6. Xaiver56

Xaiver56 New Member

Happy to see that everyone has the same opinion as myself. Wife has not shot it yet as we just got it today. That being said this gun will get proper range time. In my opinion the only "investment" in a gun is something I can shoot for years then pass down to the kids for them to shoot as well. Glad to see other people with the same opinion. I will post a range report once we do get a chance to shoot it.
  7. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

Buying a gun and not shooting it is like buying a wrench and locking it in a safe. I once asked the same question because a buddy of mine thought my Ruger MK III was too nice to shoot. One of the guys who hasn't been here for awhile said it would be like dating the prettiest girl in school then keeping her a virgin.:D:D:eek:
  8. Airdale

Airdale Member

If'n I had a fine piece like yours and I bought it to shoot I'd shoot it. Maybe not with the same abandon as it's other more homely family members. Don't think it would ever see the inside of a holster nor would it be plunked down on a course wooden or any other surface
    without some soft cuddly material between to protect it's beautiful finish. It's beauty is what made it's siren's call so irresistable so it need's to be given a bit more attention when being used for the purpose it was made for. Enjoy!
  9. pkcgbifaid

pkcgbifaid Member

I too shoot anything I buy.

Now I do have a friend who is very OCD and likes to keep his firearms immaculately clean. He has been asking me if I think he should just buy two of everything... that way he has one he can shoot and one to just sit there and look pretty. I told him he needs his head examined!

He recently bought a used Lew Horton 629 revolver and was not happy because this USED revolver ACTUALLY had WEAR! He sent it back to Smith and had it refinished.
  10. Appliancedude

Appliancedude Well-Known Member

:yeahthat:
  11. cutter

cutter New Member

I have only 2 guns that won't be shot, a Colt 1911 World War I 50 yr anniversary and a D-Day commeoative Garand. Both guns came in a special case and will never be fired. I have other 1911's and another garand to shoot. Sometimes they are made for you to look and just remember why they were made. JMHO
  12. ozo

ozo Well-Known Member

" and she is a Revolver Girl through and through so "--Ha Vee-Heir...:rolleyes:
    First of all.....Kudos to your lady......:bow::thumbsup::dancingdots:
    Revolvers are.......:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:
    .45 colt.....yes???
    Not intentionally.......but I do have about twelve I haven't fired that I bought
    after my birthday.....(on)09/11/2001
    Kinda went on a spree and got some that I had been wanting for awhile.....
    and imagine they will eventually get some fire through them......as the others [from that spree] have.....
    Mostly rifles and shotguns left to 'break the hymen'......:eek::eek::eek:
    Nickel ???
    .45 colt ???
    Whatever.......any lady that loves this STYLE of firearm.....HAS STYLE !!!:cool:
  13. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I think if you have plenty of money you could buy a gun and never shoot it. If you are wealthy you could buy as an investment.

I would never buy a gun and not shoot it. I do ok but am not wealthy.
  14. ozo

ozo Well-Known Member

"I bought a John Wayne Commemorative Revolver....
    it was expensive, but what quality.....and the beauty
    of the engraving.....it was so friggin' nice.....it was well
    worth the price !!!
    It was so nice.....I just kept it on my desk and for hours
    each day as I worked at my desk, I would hold and fondle it, point
    it at the calendar, say 'bang'.....but I never fired it.......
    It was soooo freakin' nice.........
    I was sittin' there one day, on the phone, yappin' business,
    looked up, and John Wayne had just walked in.
    In his [own] nonchalant way, interrupted me, and picked up
    the gun and asked......."Well, how does it shoot, pilgrim.....?"
    I told him it was so nice, I have no intentions of firing it.......
    In his 'swagger' way, he said "but I will......it has my name on it, come on, let's see what she's got" !!!!!!!!:cool:
  15. ozo

ozo Well-Known Member

P.S. Just for the record......
    Ever buy a new gun....NIB.....and it comes with a
    sealed envelope with a fired brass case....?
    Hmmm....how did they do that? :confused::rolleyes:
    Later, you see the gun for sale......"never been fired".....+$$$
    Two friends of mine from Taurusarmed.net went to Miami and
    had a red carpet tour of the facility, even each got to 'build'
    a gun from parts up.....[see the 'sticky' on their forum.......a very, very interesting read in the least] and one thing they were told was
    'policy' at Taurus was "no gun leaves without two magazines or two cylinders
    full are fired through it".
    A gun fired a lot, yeah, has discoloration somewhere......
    and if it's worth beaucoup bucks......and a collectors item.......
    I would surely hesitate.......but for a gun worth, let's say, a grand or so.....
    SHOOT THE BEANS OUTA HER !!!!!!!:D