Buy a gun and not shoot it?

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Xaiver56, Jun 30, 2012.

1. hstout1143

hstout1143 Well-Known Member

Buy a gun and not shoot it? That's crazy talk. If it is safe to shoot then shoot it. I have a Japanese Baby Nambu and I shoot that.
  2. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

If I inherited a gun that was pristine and had extreme sentimental value, maybe I wouldnt shoot it. But other than that, bang bang.
  3. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

A good point cutter and it creates an exception to my rule about shooting everything you own. Yeah, I wouldn't shoot those either.
  4. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

OK....OK....I admit it.
    I do have a gun I have never shot, and probably will never shoot it.

[​IMG]
  5. Curtis R

Curtis R New Member

:ya: thats not a gun thats a fish hook!!
  6. oldfartrr

oldfartrr Active Member

7. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I have fired every one that I have ever owned. I do have a Luger (my avatar picture) that I have only put 5 rounds through. Before I could own it, I had to make sure that it would shoot.
  8. Gun Geezer

Gun Geezer Well-Known Member

I must confess, I do have a few guns I have never shot. It's not for any special reason other than lack of time. Having said that, I do have my favorites that seem to go with me to the range every time.
  9. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I have 2 that I have never shot. They are collectable and I am waiting to cash in. I bought them knowing they were worth quite a bit. I have always bought guns for shooting only however these two are pristine and one of them will be ka-ching, ka-ching. Past that, the rest are shooters.
  10. old semperfi

old semperfi Active Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    i can understand people that buy for investment and also those that buy for the astetics guns can be beautiful works of art.many years ago i purchased a set of walther pps.they were and are unfired.they are consecutive serial numbered in a tooled presentation case and made pre-war.i was offered 3700.00 for them over 20 years ago.they will never be fired by me,they will be left to my loved ones. old semperfi
  11. bustedmp

bustedmp New Member

If I had funds to just buy firearms to collect them and never shoot them, I still don't think I could not shoot them. I have a P1917 military rifle chambered in 30-06 that made in 1918, and I shoot it everychance I get. Actually it is the best shooting rile I've ever had. It will shoot whatever ammo I feed it.
  12. CJ_56

CJ_56 New Member

I've bought a few guns that weren't shot less than 10 times or in some cases less than 5 times. I always love finding guns like that. I bought a Savage 12 LRPV that some idjit thought didn't shoot well. His problem was he didn't have enough sense to break it in. I'm not talking about those complicated shoot once, run 6 patches, stand on one foot, pat your head and rub your stomach, run another patch, shoot 2 rounds, kind of break in routines. I'm talking about shooting a gun enough to knock the burrs off. It took about 100 rounds for that rifle to get broke in and wow does it shoot like a dream now. The guy actually thought it wasn't accurate so he didn't shoot it. Silly rabbit. Guns are for shooting.

I know that rifle hadn't been shot 10 times. It didn't even have powder residue in the nooks and crannies. You can always tell how many times a gun has been shot by looking in those impossible to clean spots for residue.

I bought a S&W 629 from my brother that had been shot 6 times. The original owner bought it and never fired it. He bought one box of ammo and still had it when he sold it to my brother. My brother shot it 6 times. I got the rest of that box of ammo from my brother. I shot it up in the first hour I owned that revolver. I have shot it several hundred times since then. I'd shoot it more but I have other babies that need attention too.

If people want to buy a gun and test fire it to make sure it works then keep it for self defense knowing it will work or maybe they just want to look at the thing either way that's their business. I just hope they have the decency to offer the gun to me when they get ready to sell it. :D
  13. Grapevinebill

Grapevinebill New Member

I have 2 that haven't been to the range. One is something I bought thinking I could flip it and make some profit off someday and the other is a commemorative 25th anniversary edition of the Beretta M9. That one is still in the safe and comes out to be fondled and cleaned every couple of months. But out of the 15 hand guns I own those are the only 2. All others are shooters, and are used as plinkers, CCW's or HD guns.
  14. Rugermanws

Rugermanws Member

15. rogertc1

rogertc1 Member

As a big time collector I have a lot I have never shot or ever will.