Buy a gun and not shoot it?

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Xaiver56, Jun 30, 2012.

1. oldfartrr

oldfartrr Member

2. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I have fired every one that I have ever owned. I do have a Luger (my avatar picture) that I have only put 5 rounds through. Before I could own it, I had to make sure that it would shoot.
  3. Gun Geezer

Gun Geezer Well-Known Member

I must confess, I do have a few guns I have never shot. It's not for any special reason other than lack of time. Having said that, I do have my favorites that seem to go with me to the range every time.
  4. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I have 2 that I have never shot. They are collectable and I am waiting to cash in. I bought them knowing they were worth quite a bit. I have always bought guns for shooting only however these two are pristine and one of them will be ka-ching, ka-ching. Past that, the rest are shooters.
  5. old semperfi

old semperfi New Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    i can understand people that buy for investment and also those that buy for the astetics guns can be beautiful works of art.many years ago i purchased a set of walther pps.they were and are unfired.they are consecutive serial numbered in a tooled presentation case and made pre-war.i was offered 3700.00 for them over 20 years ago.they will never be fired by me,they will be left to my loved ones. old semperfi
  6. bustedmp

bustedmp New Member

If I had funds to just buy firearms to collect them and never shoot them, I still don't think I could not shoot them. I have a P1917 military rifle chambered in 30-06 that made in 1918, and I shoot it everychance I get. Actually it is the best shooting rile I've ever had. It will shoot whatever ammo I feed it.
  7. CJ_56

CJ_56 New Member

I've bought a few guns that weren't shot less than 10 times or in some cases less than 5 times. I always love finding guns like that. I bought a Savage 12 LRPV that some idjit thought didn't shoot well. His problem was he didn't have enough sense to break it in. I'm not talking about those complicated shoot once, run 6 patches, stand on one foot, pat your head and rub your stomach, run another patch, shoot 2 rounds, kind of break in routines. I'm talking about shooting a gun enough to knock the burrs off. It took about 100 rounds for that rifle to get broke in and wow does it shoot like a dream now. The guy actually thought it wasn't accurate so he didn't shoot it. Silly rabbit. Guns are for shooting.

I know that rifle hadn't been shot 10 times. It didn't even have powder residue in the nooks and crannies. You can always tell how many times a gun has been shot by looking in those impossible to clean spots for residue.

I bought a S&W 629 from my brother that had been shot 6 times. The original owner bought it and never fired it. He bought one box of ammo and still had it when he sold it to my brother. My brother shot it 6 times. I got the rest of that box of ammo from my brother. I shot it up in the first hour I owned that revolver. I have shot it several hundred times since then. I'd shoot it more but I have other babies that need attention too.

If people want to buy a gun and test fire it to make sure it works then keep it for self defense knowing it will work or maybe they just want to look at the thing either way that's their business. I just hope they have the decency to offer the gun to me when they get ready to sell it. :D
  8. Grapevinebill

Grapevinebill New Member

I have 2 that haven't been to the range. One is something I bought thinking I could flip it and make some profit off someday and the other is a commemorative 25th anniversary edition of the Beretta M9. That one is still in the safe and comes out to be fondled and cleaned every couple of months. But out of the 15 hand guns I own those are the only 2. All others are shooters, and are used as plinkers, CCW's or HD guns.
  9. Rugermanws

Rugermanws Member

10. rogertc1

rogertc1 Member

As a big time collector I have a lot I have never shot or ever will.
  11. Archie

Archie Member

I know some folks buy guns they never shoot. They are investments and kept in pristine, original condition; usually in a safety deposit box.

To me, this is sort of like Marxist economics; I understand all the words, but it just seems - wrong.
  12. PA_RIFLEMAN303

PA_RIFLEMAN303 New Member

It drives me nuts when people buy guns and don't shoot them. If you take away the candy coating, a gun is a tool and it was designed to be used. I don't care how rare it is, how valuable it is or what brand name it is. It is a gun and its purpose is to shoot and if it can not or one will not shoot it, it ain't worth a damn thing.

That is like buying a $600 Dewalt nail gun and not using it because it is a $600 Dewalt nail gun.

use it or give it to someone who will.
  13. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Well-Known Member

I have a lot of guns I haven't gotten around to shooting, but very few that I wouldn't shoot.
  14. TheGunClinger

TheGunClinger Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I have only one gun I havnt shot. Someday maybe I will take a shot or two.:D

Attached Files:

15. ozo

ozo Well-Known Member

I really like that one clinger.....
    Invite me to shoot it with ya..?????
  16. ozo

ozo Well-Known Member

Howdy DeBill......
    Haven't seen ya 'round lately.....
    was just thinking about you yesterday.....
    Everything alright down on the Delta?
  17. rogertc1

rogertc1 Member

I have over the last 40 years accumulated over 250 guns. They are all displayed in my gun room. I have not shot perhaps 50% of them. No desire.
    Have a Savage 99 B Take Down coming in I just bought that needs work on it's stock or maybe new stocks? It is a project gun. Even got 20 roiunds of 303Savage comn for it. I don't meed it. just want it. Will I shoot it? Maybe not.
  18. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Well-Known Member

Ozo-
    Things are fine down here. And you?
  19. Hammerslagger

Hammerslagger New Member

Usually most persons buy a gun to shoot. However, such is not always the case; nor should it necessarily be so.

Some persons buy very fine guns, that have maybe 80% even 95% of their monetary value wrapped up in engraving, precious metal inlays, and fine wood. They use them just like the would use a "plain Jane" (entry level) model of the same gun. They do not abuse them; but they do use them. Such persons, typically have very large disposable incomes and accumulated wealth.

Twenty years ago, I encountered a man with a very early "named" Weatherby ("Sweet Adeline") built on a FN Commercial 98 action. It was heavily engraved with significant gold inlay work. It had also been hunted with, all over the world, for about 40 years. It showed the wear typical of heavy use but not abuse. Apparently the owner enjoyed having a piece of artwork that actually did some work. Certainly, nothing the matter with that.

This same man related a account of an incident he witnessed at an upscale fly-in Western US hunting operation that had its own gunsmith/knife sharpener who could put a proper shaving edge on most knife blades. He related how a wealthy Texan handed the GS a new in box and very rare hunting knife to sharpen. The GS explained the situation and balked on doing the work. The Texan got very angry and advised the GS that he did not give a "rats rump" about the rarity or value of the like new, now rare knife, that his Daddy gave him as a 12 year old boy. It was his property, he was there to hunt and use his knife; and the GS was going to either properly sharpened it or the Texan would try to sharpen it himself.

More recently, I encountered a similar incident involving a 99% condition "Sweet 16" that the new owner wanted modified for screw-in choke tubes. The GS absolutely refused to do the work. Some property owners simply do not care about devaluing a piece of property that they want to use; and some persons, like the "Sweet 16" GS, will not do devaluing work.

My own unsolicited advice is usually not to shoot guns that are purchased as collectible investments.

Many of such guns are old enough to be subject to age (precipitation) hardening of structural parts. Shoot it and have a part crack; and you will loose big bucks in an instant. Some guns (and other things) that are no longer in production, and are very rarely encountered in 100% or "NRA Perfect" condition, will be devalued by anything that changes its condition from the way it was packaged at the factory.

If you have always wanted some very rare and valuable gun to actually use and shoot, today; then "go for it". But, "go for it" fully informed as to the likely costs of doing so.
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2012
  20. skullfr

skullfr New Member

there are some I feel that shouldnt-classic,high value commeratives.I shoot what I have as I dont collect for value .I have pocket knives I dont use as these are collectibles and stay in a case.I have a beautiful case mammoth ivory stockman I just look at and a pocket worn case that is my daily carry.