Buy a gun and not shoot it?

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Xaiver56, Jun 30, 2012.

1. sting75ray

sting75ray Active Member

I have to admit that I am guilty when it comes to buying guns and not shooting them. As of now I have these that were only test fired at the factory but I will never shoot them.

Ruger 50th anniversary Ruger 22 auto

Ruger NRA 22 auto

Ruger 50th 357 Blackhawk

Ruger 50th 44 Mag Blackhawk

Ruger John Wayne 44/40 revolver

Winchester 1892 John Wayne 44/40

Ruger 40th anniverasry 10/22

Ruger 9/11 10/22 New York 89 of 500 made
  2. Xaiver56

Xaiver56 New Member

Update : First of all, thanks to everyone for the comments, and I do agree that there are some firearms that can be collectables and should not be shot. I of course would not buy those.

Wife and I did make it to the range and the Colt SSA is a dream to shoot. Here is a pic of the wife having fun...

[​IMG]

She really enjoyed the new Colt and dialed it in quickly. The most fun we had was afterwards during her cleaning of the gun. She typically does't like cleaning, but this firearm inspired her to do some serious care. We both sat around our desk and cleaned our respective firearms and while I helped guide her along the cleaning her enthusiasm was hard to ignore. She treats this gun with the utmost respect.

I spent some time shooting this beautiful firearm:

[​IMG]

I have wanted an HK USP for the past couple of years and it was great to finally shoot one that was my own. This has an amazing crisp trigger that begs to be shot.
  3. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

There's some guns I wouldn't own period but If I would own it I would shoot it. I'm the type that would shoot an 1873 Colt in pristine unturned condition with serial number 1.
  4. PA_RIFLEMAN303

PA_RIFLEMAN303 New Member

damn straight! and have a blast doing it.
  5. Mr_Shamrock

Mr_Shamrock New Member

I also believe a gun is a tool that should be used. I can appreciate these fancy commemorative guns, but will never own one. I have been in and around the motorcycle and automotive repair business my entire life and it cracks me up when these gold plated wrench sets come out and guys go crazy over them, spend a bunch of money on them, and then put them in drawer never to be used. I can understand the not using it part it's just the initial purchase that makes me scratch my head.
    I bought a guys gun collection a few years ago and in it was a Beretta M9 Special Edition set - it was immediately sold. So I can understand not wanting to devalue something that has collector appeal, but spending 2 or 3 times what it is worth because someone engraved a date on it and put it in a glass case just isn't my style. To each their own, but I personally will leave the shiny wall hangers to the rich folks.