Buy a Turus or a Ruger 454 cusull

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by LDJ, Dec 21, 2011.

1. LDJ

LDJ Member

I have been looking at 454 cusull's. I wanted a Ruger but then I have been reading that the shells become stuck and hard to get out after shooting. Does anyone have any experiance with either, or both. I need some input on which to buy.
    LDJ
  2. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I've had my Super Redhawk 454 since March of 01. Ain't never had anything stick - 45 Colt or 454.
  3. V509

V509 Member

Ruger.... Made in America!
    Freedom Arms if you can afford it
  4. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

Go Ruger. I wont say they are bad guns but Taurus revolvers have weak points that make them, at least in my mind, less than reliable. Great warranty though. However I have found Ruger, though they offer no warranty, to be more than willing to take care of any problems. Aluminum cased ammo does hang up a bit in my GP100 but wouldn't call it stuck. With brass there's no problem.
  5. American Leader

American Leader Active Member

Brisk44 has a Taurus 454 and likes it. As for Taurus in general, I know a very nice fellow who has nine Taurus pistols/revolvers and loves them very, very much. Hasn't had any problems whatsoever.
  6. Ledslnger

Ledslnger New Member

Honestly, I would go Ruger. But, seeing information in their advertisements from Taurus I think their manufacturing processes are top notch. Have some education in engineering and manufacturing processes, although not a doctorate or anything. Looks like they have taken the steps to become a top gun(pun intended) in the industry. Believe in some of the products they work towards molecular alignment in their forgings. If they do that I wouldn't believe their would be much in the way of weakness anywhere.
  7. Gene Seward

Gene Seward Member

I shot a Ruger Super Red Hawk in 454 today for the first time and it was not only accurate, but waaaaay less recoil than I get from my S&W 44mag.. I would and may very well but a Ruger.
  8. Helix_FR

Helix_FR New Member

Get the Ruger. Some taurus's spend more time at the factory being fixed than being shot.
  9. Freebore

Freebore New Member

Ruger.......A+
  10. retired grunt

retired grunt New Member

I have a Ruger in .480 never had a sticking problem.
  11. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I had a raging bull .480 that ended up with a timing issue becasue of the recoil generated by the .480 ruger. It was as simple as shimming the locking bolt but it was only a temporary fix. I ditched it and never looked back.

Grab a ruger. They are all but indestructable.
  12. LDJ

LDJ Member

Thanks to everyone. I have a Taurus Judge but that is the only Taurus I have ever really wanted. I really wanted the Ruger Super Redhawk so I am very happy to get the positive input. I am getting the Redhawk today!!!!
    Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all.
    Dale
  13. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Merry christmas LDJ. Dont forget to post pics!
  14. tomingreeneco

tomingreeneco New Member

Unless Taurus has changed over the last couple of years, I would go with a Ruger. Have several and have never had a problem with them.
  15. muddober

muddober Active Member

I wouldn't have a 454 Casull anything including a Freedom Arms. Unless someone is now making cases with normal flash holes and large primer pockets instead of small rifle pockets, you are stuck with a case that was designed around a very dumb idea. Triplex loading, meaning three different powders in one case. The inside base of a 454 Casull case is so long that it will only hold one more grain of 2400 water level than a modern 45 Colt case. The whole idea of this long base was so that none of the case went unsupported like you get even in some 44 mag cylinders, so as not to have case bulging due to high pressure. This long base creates a super long flash hole that when not using the triplex loading as it was designed causes very erratic ignition when using straight H110 or W296 to the point of me seeing 600 feet per second difference from shot to shot.

The Freedom Arms 454 gun itself have another strange feature that I do not like and that is there is no taper to the forcing cone in the cylinder. Rather there is an abrupt edge like one sees when looking in the chamber of a 45 acp barrel as if it were headspacing off the mouth of the case making it horrible for cast bullets. Because of this sharp edge you cannot get anything bigger than 300 grainers in a Freedom Arms Casull cylinder, they simply will not fit.

In my opinion there many fine huge caliber hand gun loadings out there and the 454 Casull cartridge is not one of them.

Ron
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2011
  16. LDJ

LDJ Member

My Ruger 454 is on order and I should have it in about a week.
    You can also shoot hot 45 Lc's in them and not worry about maxing what the gun can handle. Isn't that right?
  17. Brisk44

Brisk44 New Member

That is correct on the .45 LC. I have quite a few Ruger and 5 or 6 Taurus revolvers and love them all. I have had no problems with either brand. I do feel that Ruger is a higher quality firearm, but over the past 30 some years I have seen a large improvement in the quality of the Taurus firearms and feel that now they are a top quality firearm.
  18. LDJ

LDJ Member

Well my Ruger Super Redhawk 454 Cusull arrived at my gun shop,and I just picked it up and it's ..... well how should I put it BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!
    Now tonight I can mount the scope on it. Then Saturday I will be going to the range.
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2012
  19. LDJ

LDJ Member

:)
    Well I put 85 rounds through my new Super Redhawk Saturday. I was doing very well until my scope messed up. To much recoil i guess. Anyway I have a new Bushnell Elite ordered.
    They say it can hold up to a 454. The Redhawk has lots of recoil but very accurate. I had no sticking problems. I shot mostly +P 45's. Oh, and JLA here is the picture.
    LDJ

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 11, 2012