Buy of the week/year

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by catfish83861, Mar 22, 2007.

1. catfish83861

catfish83861 Active Member

Monday 19 March, friend tells me about a Honda four stroke outboard that may be for sale at local Pawn/Auction house.
    Tues. 20 March 1300 hours or so. The Boss and I stop by said shop-kid working doesn't know about the motor laying on the floor. Oh yea its laying on the wrong side for a outboard motor.He calls the owner-Motor sold on Thursday before and purchaser returned it Friday due to "No compression". I pulled on the rope and it seemed to have compression. I have a couple of old (20 years or so) 22 rifles at home-Pawn shop likes guns to sale-catfish only has $10.00 in both rifles as they were purchased as a lot from police auction of confiscated weapons.catfish takes guns to pawn shop at approximately 1600 hours. Owner is there - She likes the 22s.catfish pays $25.00 and two 22 rifles and goes home with motor and receipt. Few minutes working on motor after some
    pre-cleaning. Motor fires of on first pull and runs great. So for a grand total of $35.00 I now have a 1983 Honda four stroke for my boat. Proves that when your really a nice guy, good things happen. Dang I must have been out of line and the good lord thought I was someone else :confused: . But thanks anyway.:D I'll take it. catfish

Attached Files:

2. idocdave

idocdave New Member

Make sure it pumps water.
    Dave
  3. catfish83861

Thanks Dave, I put it in my pond yesterday and pumps fine. I also ordered a new pump that I will install as soon as it gets here.Only because I don't have any clue when it was changed,I also changed the oil and will change the lower unit oil as well.All in all it looks like the motor has not saw a lot of usage.Under the cowling it looks brand new,Outside has some scratches from being hauled around in the back of a pickup but those are just cosmetic items that I can live with.:) catfish
  4. Now Cat, you know what you really want is a nice bass boat with a big Merc Verado rated at about 300 HP. :D ;) :p
  5. johnston3407

johnston3407 New Member

You stole it! You should feel a grest deal of guilt. Or not.
  6. catfish83861

Hey Pistol, take a good look at the second picture. That's an old 1987, 60 horse Mercury,a two stroke at that (oh dang I may be polluting our waterways:eek: ) The Mercury will push my 87 Basstracker just as fast and then some as I want to go. I don't do tournaments and while I enjoy eating fish I am going to guess that I immediately release 99% of the Bass I catch. Mostly when I want to eat fish I fish for Crappie or catfish. When all else fails I go to my grandkids pond and catch one trout for dinner.Mostly they are in the three to five pound class.We had some in the 10 to 12 pound class but they die out after about five or six years.Later I will send some pictures of the redneck location I live at. I will also send pictures of my rifle range (300 yard) and the pond I had built. Like I have said before, I have very little money for discretionary spending.I have a large wealth of happiness and comfort here at home.Also:
    1 I live in the woods.
    2) even and old blind will find a bone once in a while.
    catfish
  7. Know what you mean on the fishing, Cat, especially the catfish. When I lived in Stockton and then in the Bay Area, I fished a lot in the Delta; stripper and sturgeon in the winter, and then catfish all summer. I had an 18 footer with a V-6 GMC and I/O Merc drive. Great times, especially the catfish on a lazy morning, or all night for the big Channel cats.
  8. catfish83861

Yea Pistol, I hear ya, There is a lake over in Eastern Washington that I fish for Channel and Blue cat. Nothing big but they average over 4 pounds each. I have caught several in the 6 to 12 pound range also.Great Smallmouth fishing also some sturgeon over six feet also.. Going fishing tomorrow on a Eastern Wa. lake that really gets very little pressure.Really good for Smallmouth and Walleye along with some Bluegill. Will get back with you on how I did. Probably not great as the water temperature is still below 45 degrees. But a bad day fishing is still a day fishing.I'm patiently waiting on Hunting season. Well not really patiently,but waiting none the less. catfish
  9. 358 winchester

358 winchester *TFF Admin Staff*

I mostly fish for good gun deals :D now how many of them old 22's do you have left ????
  10. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member Supporting Member

I sold my bass boat a few years ago. Then bought a small aluminum boat with a small outboard like the one in the pic. It wouldn't run 82 mph but I caught alot more bass. Plus, the small boat didn't use 28 gal of fuel an hour at wide open throttle. :D

Catfish, ya done good. :)