buy out of state

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BETH, Aug 29, 2012.

1. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

if i go to another state do i have to have a permit in that state to buy a gun even if it is going to ffl?
  2. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

what about rifle or shotgun?
  3. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

It would, I believe, depend on the state.

If you went up to Maine, and wanted to buy a shotgun, you should be able to just walk into a gun store or Wallyworld, buy the shotgun and walk out with it.

Massachusetts or New York - it probably would not be that easy.

And, of course, if you wanted to buy a pistol, it would have to be shipped back to Connecticut.

By Federal law, all you should have to do, to buy a gun in New York (I'm just picking on them, as being close to you) is walk into the store, say, "I want that one. He's a copy of the FFL for Joe's Guns, in Naugatuck, CT. Ship it to him. Here's the money". That's all that Federal law requires. New York, however, may have their own laws and won't let you do that.

Naugatuck? Is that where they grow the Naugas, that they skin to make Naugahyde?
  4. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

you must be reading my mind going to maine Fri and kittery trading post has used guns and they also have gun parts if u look online. so if i pick up shotgun do i have to look up the laws for the states i am going thru to see if i myself can transport it? And leave me alone i am an officail Naugatuckian
  5. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

FOPA of 1986 says that you can take a firearm from one location where it is legal for you to have it, to another location where it is legal for you to have it, and drive through anti-gun states, and the anti-gun states can't do anything about, as long as the firearm is unloaded, safely secured, and away from any ammo. So, if you're in a car, put it in the trunk. If you're in a pickup or SUV, I'd suggest taking a lockable gun case with you, and locking it in that guncase (since you don't have a trunk to lock it up in).

I just looked at a map, and see you can go from Naugahyde to Mooseville without going through New York. This is good. Stay out of New York if at all possible. They have a tendency to ignore that nice little Federal law that says you can take a gun THROUGH their state.
  6. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

did u look online at there used guns,pretty cool. I would love love love to see a moose in mooseville:lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2:
  7. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Federal law says you can buy a shotgun out of state, as long as it is legal both in your state of residence, and in the state where the gun is. So if you are planning to buy it and take it with you, I'd call first and ask 'em if they will sell a shotgun, cash and carry, to a Connecticuter. If they won't, then you'll have to do the "here's a copy of Joe's license - ship it to him" thing, and then you got shipping charges. It's much nicer if you can just toss it in the trunk and drive it back home.
  8. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

What kind of shoot-gun you looking at?
  9. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Gonna go see Faye while you're there? She's at Moosehead Lake. How far can that be from where you're going? Maine ain't that big.
  10. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

i wanted to look at remington 1100 that was the gun Bobski suggested just want to get the feel of it they have a nice used one for $425 95%blue 28"walnut but i don't know if i know enough about it to buy it 12ga
  11. CCHolderinMaine

CCHolderinMaine Well-Known Member

It is that easy to buy a gun in Maine, you cannot though buy one at Wal-Mart. They do not sell guns at wally in Maine. KTP is ok, there is a Cabelas, Dicks as well, but in Maine the best place to buy guns is at the LGS
  12. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

what is LGS
  13. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

ok got it-duh
  14. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

1100's a nice gun. Shoot sweet. Low recoil.

If it's the one I looked at - bunch of pictures, bottom of the trigger guard all scratched up - I notice it doesn't mention choke.

Ask 'em to show you the gas seal and the O-ring. Tell 'em you wanna make sure the O-ring is in good condition. That's nothing major. Two metal rings and an O-ring, that fit on the tubular magazine, under the forearm. But if the metal is carboned or rusted up, or the O-ring is broke, gun no workie-workie right. It's only like 20 bucks to get new ones, but that's 20 you should not have to pay.
    http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=42987/Product/REMINGTON-1100-11-87-GAS-RING-BARREL-SEAL-KIT

[​IMG]
  15. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

like i said i would love to buy one but i don't know enough to buy it, soooo many guns u want to buy man its addictive