Buy/Sell/Trade section

Discussion in 'TFF Technical Support Forum & Suggestion Box' started by hunter29180, Jun 22, 2011.

1. hunter29180

hunter29180 Well-Known Member

I am worried about this section since we allow New members to post items there. i see many who post there as their first post! many times its their only post... just really concerns me as to how easy this would be to defraud our members. should we consiter a mild limit requirement for posting items there?
    say the same as required for our drawings? or half that? we would then at least "get" to know something about the poster.. just my concern as i will not respond to such a posting, no matter how badly i want or need the item for sale.
  2. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

3. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

5 VALID , ON TOPIC , posts ?
  4. Shooter45

This is the caution in the guidelines.

NOTE : SOME OF THE SELLERS ON THIS FORUM ARE NEW MEMBERS WITH NO POSTS ON THE FORUM. PLEASE USE CAUTION WHEN MAKING A PURCHASE FROM MEMBERS WITH LESS THAN 50 POSTS TO AVOID SCAMS.
  5. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Good example is the guy with the thompson tommy gun two weeks ago. I was just about to order a taurus raging bull to trade him for it and I asked him for pictures of the gun he was selling and not the stock pics he posted. He got offended. I told him he could verify my credibility with the folks here, but that he was new and I just wanted to be certain he was going to follow thru. The next day he had shooter remove the listing and told him it was sold. I never heard back from him.
  6. hunter29180

guidelines are great! and I do read 90% of them. but..if we did a poll, bet less than 40% of our members read them for any one forum! bet even if they did read them say 2 yrs ago, they havent checked back to see if there were any changes.

even with the warning posted in a sticky, it may still leave the forum "under the gun" so to speak, should a newby get took by another newbe in a scam. I for one like this forum too much to want to see us in that position.
  7. hunter29180

actually this is a very good warning but should be placed so you are able to see it in bold face at the top of the forum. no sticky to click but in our face.... so to speak!

you could even then have it say to read the rest of the posting rules as you already have!
  8. hunter29180

kinda like this..

ATTENTION ;
    NOTE : SOME OF THE SELLERS ON THIS FORUM ARE NEW MEMBERS WITH NO POSTS ON THE FORUM. PLEASE USE CAUTION WHEN MAKING A PURCHASE FROM MEMBERS WITH LESS THAN 50 POSTS TO AVOID SCAMS.

PLEASE CLICK HERE AND READ THE REST OF THIS FORUM'S AD LISTING INSTRUCTIONS, TERMS & CONDITIONS "BEFORE" POSTING ANY ADS IN THIS FORUM!
  9. Country101

Country101 Active Member

personnally, I would use the forum unless the person placing the listing was a long time member(meaning atleast 1k posts) or had several here that I trust to vouch for him. I'm not very trusting when it comes to stuff like this.
  10. Shooter45

I understand what you mean but, it's not that easy. There isn't enough room on the subject line for the warning. Besides, most won't read it anyway.
    All I could so is remove the B/S/T Forum and I don't see that happening.

We have been working on this for quite a while and have come to the conclusion, If there's a way, only advanced senior members may post items for sale. And that's a big if, our software has to support it.

Most here won't buy from someone they don't "know" and it's worked well for over 10 years.
  11. hunter29180

then i withdraw my idea! dont fix what hasnt broke..specally after 10 yrs!!
  12. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Most of the posts that get posted by new members are disregarded for the most part, not because I don't care, but because I'm not apt to deal with someone who's only interest is to sell their stuff and that's it. I don't have a clue as to who the heck they are and whether or not what they're selling is legal. If their interest is in the forum and they're local, then maybe it's worth looking at; but that brings up my biggest pet peeve with One Post Sellers ( or low post for that matter ) - Put your Location up !
  13. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

If the poster is willing to provide an address and phone number that can be verified in a PM, that would help. At least you have something. I am not going to send money to just anyone. If its a gun, you can do business thru a dealer in both locations.
  14. SouthernMoss

SouthernMoss *Admin Tech Staff*

We've been investigating a way to put the 50-post requirement into our software, and hope to have a solution soon.

In the meantime, use the same caution you would when buying online anywhere: only buy from someone you trust. If you can't find a way to gain trust in the seller (through pm's, phone conversations, etc) then don't buy from them.