Buyer BEWARE !!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by glocknut, Aug 14, 2009.

1. glocknut

glocknut New Member

I have been looking at an RV the last couple of days. I was going to put some cash down on it this morning. I spoke to the tag agency yesterday about how much the sales tax and plates for it would be. She told me if i could bring them the tag number they could narrow it down to the dime. I was supposed to meet the guy to put some cash down on it at 8am but like the typical business owner he was still in bed when i called him to see where he was.... :rolleyes: So i wrote down the plate number on the RV like the lady had suggested yesterday and swung by the tag agency to get a quote. She looked it up and said there was NOTHING they could do with that RV... that it was "Junked" and marked as Salvage! She said that RV could never be put on the road again...it can only be used for parts. :eek:

I went back by the RV lot to kinda get an "ah ha, gotcha" moment in on the guy. He started hollering that he could get a "repaired title" and so on and so forth. Now i know that on Cars that you can get a salvaged title but you dang near have to jump thru flaming hoops to get one. Fred bought a van that was considered salvaged. The guy that bought it to fix it up got the title as quick as he could and managed to get a title without the salvage part on it because he did it as fast as he could and it hadn't gone thru the system yet. When Fred went to get it liscensed he ran smack dab into the salvage issue and he had fight like a dog to get them to issue a salvage title. The DMV did not want to issue even a salvage title...they fought for 3 or 4 months to get that salvage title so it could be liscensed. And then the only insurance he could get was liability... the insurance would not sell him full coverage.... but thats another story for another time.

I haven't checked with my insurance guy but i will bet anyone good money that they would not insure a salvage RV....not even to cover the contents inside in case of theift.

The long and the short of it is this.... Watch your behind in this world. There are people who would love to take you for a wild ride to say the least....

I keep thinking about what a cop told me years ago.... he said he had seen the ugly side of the world for so long that all he saw anymore were perps and victoms. There was nothing else. And to be honest...if you boil things down to their basic components... that's really all this world amounts to in my opinion as well.

mike
    gn
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2009
  2. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Glad you got informed before you spent the money! I bought a 55 Chevy once, and never was able to get a title. Like you say, just about everyone out there is out to screw someone!
  3. army mp

army mp Member

I don’t want to hi-jack your post. But is it any wonder people don’t trust. The government health care plan. Don’t read it just sign on. With all the crap we deal with every day. Shady used car dealers, scam artist contractors, shady lawyers, The list goes on. And then the stuff the government pulls and hopes we are to dumb to catch on.
  4. fmacsin1

fmacsin1 New Member

Truly, this is a world of "caveat emptor" buyer beware! Please do your research before you send any money or commit any money to anyone. Check them out in any way you can like: Attorney General, BBB, your Consumer Credit Registry for your state, or any other agency that can be trusted. I just went through 7 months of trying to get my mortgage modified with a company I researched through HUD in Wash. DC. After 6 months and $1,700. later, I called my att'y general and found out that I had been scammed. I thought I had done my homework esp. using the HUD network, but even that did not prove to be helpful in any way! So, again, caveat emptor!
  5. Tom Militano

Tom Militano New Member

I ran into the same problem when we were going to buy another used car to drive to work some years back, but I had a friend who worked at the license bureau check it out for me and said I couldn't get a title on it because it was marked as salvage. The seller was all smiles when he brought the car the next day and had his hand out for the check. When I told him what I found out he spit and sputtered and said he'd knock off $100.00. I told him "I CAN"T REGISTER IT FOOL" if I buy it and he said the car was bought new by him and never been wrecked, but I showed him the history of the car where he had wrecked it twice, the last time with a set of plates off another vehicle on it and he had lost his license besides. He went home and it wasn't long until he was picked up in the car dealing pot. You have to really watch yourself these days. Glad you found out before you bought the RV.
  6. durk

durk New Member

What rv lot were you at??
  7. Blackhawk Dave

Blackhawk Dave New Member

For those of you buying a "salvage" car to rebuild, etc, or have title problems with, you can get an Alabama title reasonably. Then you can get the title transferred back in your state. This is used quite often by street rodders, restorers, etc.
  8. glocknut

glocknut New Member

It was that small little lot on the left "North" side of Highway 20 heading towards Claremore...past 161 ave East before you get to Looking Glass Estates.
    For a long time they had a couple of RVs and then a few more and now they are up to 10 or 12 RVs sitting there....

I confronted him about it. He admitted they're all salvage. He said "that's the only way i can do it..." :rolleyes:

He tries to tell me that he can show me the "book value" on that unit that it was upper $8k but he mistook me for stupid because even repaired its no longer worth the RV book value.
    That van that Fred bought was supposed to be worth $12k if it had not been salvaged...the state valued it at $200...that's right $200 I can ONLY ASSUME that that RV would be in the same boat... worthless! No trade in value EVEN IF it could be liscensed...which the German Corners Tag Agency said it could not be!!!

Kinda makes me mad!!!!

mike
    gn
  9. Willie

Willie Active Member

I don't think the "typical" business owner in in bed at 8am. I know you are mad but you don't have to slam a whole class of hard working people because of one person. Sounds like you don't have a lot of experience with small business owners. Most are working from dark to dark. I know as I am one.Maybe that is why I don't have to cheat anyone.
  10. JUNKKING

JUNKKING Active Member

Another thing to think of when buying a vehicle with a reconstructed title is. If you ever are in an accident with it the other persons insurance company's lawyers will eat you to shred in a suit saying that vehicle was not road worthy.
    In some states if you can show receipts for everything that was done to the vehicle they will issue a reconstructed title. I myself wouldn't own one if it were given to me. Good looking out GN.
  11. Powderhorn

Powderhorn New Member

You are absolutely right on, Willie. There are lots of fair and honest small business owners. I would not trade my favorite family-owned local gun shop or my family-owned independant hardware store for anything. Top flight people. Top flight service.

but,

You have to admit that for every one of these great store owners, there are three more who would nail your balls to a stump and push you over backwards. Caveat Emptor! :eek:
  12. 358 winchester

358 winchester *TFF Admin Staff*

I only trust me and the man in my foxhole all others must prove their worth!!
  13. glocknut

glocknut New Member

Willie...you are forgetting who i am. I'm the one who helped my dad run a dimentional stone company for over 16 years. I have posted several times about how it s*cks being in business, making payroll every week and how i will never do it again....

When it comes to subcontractors YES they do screw arround and show up late in the morning and leave early...especially on Friday
    Subcontractors are small business owners... they have companies and employees. And if you don't think that they do exactly what i have described then you have never been in Rural Arkansas!!! So there!!! :D

mike
    gn
  14. glocknut

glocknut New Member

Not according to Willie.... :rolleyes::D;)

mike
    gn
  15. big steve

big steve New Member

THAT SUCKS THAT SOMEONE WOULD TRY TO CHEAT YOU LIKE THAT. GLAD YOU FIGURED IT OUT.
  16. glocknut

glocknut New Member

Yes indeed. Thanks. :)

mike
    gn
  17. flannelman

flannelman New Member

Rural Arkansas. But isn't all of Arkansas rural?
    WHOA DUDE!!! Look at my location!! It's true though. I had a mobile home dealership in Hot Springs try to pull one on me. They were trying to sell a trade-in home for a lady, yes we rednecks trade in old homes on wheels for new ones. It was all good on the house. We looked at it and the owner was nice so we put 500 bucks down. They said they would cover moving and set-up etc and quoted us a pretty good price. Well when it comes time to sign the papers they say that moving and set-up is gonna cost 3 grand on top of the price of the house. I said nope. I had been told by the sales guy, and had it in writing, that moving and set-up was included. Well the manager wouldn't go for it. The bad thing was they kept telling the owner of the trailer one thing and told us something completely opposite. I called the owner and found all that out then called the place and told them they better have my down payment ready for me to pick up when I got there. They tried to hassle me bout it but I got through to them that I'd have none of it. the world is full of crooks. That lot didn't last long either.