Buying 1911: Dos and Don'ts

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by tspeck007, Feb 5, 2006.

1. tspeck007

tspeck007 New Member

I'll be buying a 1911 in the future and am looking for some things to avoid and some things to specifically seek out.

Brand names and models would be helpful, but I'm mostly looking for things beyond this.

On possible example could be something about the difference between a Mil-spec and other. I've heard the term Mil-spec but don't actually no what it means in terms of what it brings to a 1911.

Any all all suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
  2. Country101

Country101 Active Member

Brand and model kind of depend on what you want to use it for. Whatever the use, I'd recomend a Kimber. Great quality and service. I'd imagine youd be satisfied with any model they make. I am a little biased, for sure, because my gun has been flawless.
    Another 1911 fan will be along in a bit to give you all the info you could want.
  3. ShakyJake

ShakyJake New Member

Springfield
  4. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

A mil-spec .45 is just that. It is jjust the way it was sold to the military. Low profile sights and no flared ejection ports. What you buy depends on its use and the amount in your wallet. You can figure anywhere from $350 up to $2,500.
  5. ksswamprat

ksswamprat New Member

I'd steer clear of the Phillipine made 1911's they are poor quality and their parts or mags don't interchange with other 1911's.
    A Spanish Firestorm is good quality weapon but again parts don't interchange. However parts are available.
    Argentine Sistema's are complete copies of a Colt made under contract from Colt. All parts enterchange.
    Argentine Ballister Molina's are not exact colt copies and parts don't enterchange. (I would avoid this weapon).
    Spanish Llama's are hit and miss on quality depending on when manufactured. The older models being good, late models bad due to quality control. Parts hard to find as Llama is out of business.
    Spanish Stars are good quallity and parts not hard to find. Take down just a bit different from a regular 1911 but not that much. If you can take down one you can do the other.
    Thats about all I can offer on the lower end price range of 1911's. I might add I currently own a Llama IX-A made in 1950 and a Star BM made in 1983. And at one time or another have owned all the above mentioned.

Hope this helps,
    Swamprat
  6. yoslick

yoslick New Member

Whoa! Whoa! Whoa! Where'd ya get the Phillipine 1911's mag's don't interchange?? My Rock Island 1911 will take any GI 1911 mag made and vice versa. Dollar for Dollar the Rock Island 1911 45 for 274.00 right now from Sarco http://www.sarcoinc.com/rockislands.html is very hard to beat! Classic Firearms http://www.classicarms.us/ by the way has them also..

[​IMG]
    As for part's, all 1911's are a shake of the dice, some parts do drop in and others need a little work..

Slick!
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2006
  7. Rotorflyr

Rotorflyr New Member

From what I've read the quality of the Phillipine guns (Armscor/Rock Island/Charles Daly) have improved quite a bit over the last year or so as well and there are any number of satisfied owners. They are also built to 1911 spec so parts do interchange though in certin cases a little smithing may be necessary (which as I understand it is the case with any 1911)
  8. cd45

cd45 New Member

I have a Charles Daly that I bought 6 or 7 years ago. It works great, all I have done is replace the extractor after it wore out, and the rear sight. I had one of the old ones that had the small rear sight, I replaced it with a McCormick rear sight. I trust it so much that I gave it to my wife after I bought a Springfield. They are very good guns, and I got mine to where it likes lead. Makes for cheap shooting. A friend just picked one up for for $460 out the door. It doesnt like lead yet but, I will fix it. I like the Springfield too, I bought it from Dad and haven't had to do anything to it, and it likes lead. Look around and find one you like and that is priced in your range, they are great guns, I wouldn't get rid of mine for any reason.
  9. joecad

joecad New Member

i have a cdefs thats a couple or 3 years old....i recently got a springer mil-spec.
    maybe i had good luck but every part that i switched from one to the other functioned...thats barrel,slide stops safety, barrel bushing all worked in either gun....i dont see that problem with my cd
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2006
  10. blackhawkkid308

blackhawkkid308 Member

i agree with country101, buy a kimber, costs a little more but one heck of a pistol. i have 2 blackhawkkid223
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2007
  11. BigV

BigV New Member

I agree that Kimber makes a top notch 1911. If you go the Kimber route, look for one with an internal ejector. For some reason Kimber went from internal to external ejectors and began to have problems with FTE. They have recently had a change of heart and went back to the internal ejectors.
  12. Neil

Neil New Member

ok Do's and Don'ts..............Do buy a 1911. Don't buy one that doesn't fit your hand, body, or budget.
  13. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

My Springfield Mil-Spec went back to SA and had the ramp polished, the port opened and beveled and low profile sights replaced with low profile 3-dots, so I could see them. I am very happy with the performance now and would get another if I were in the market.
  14. raveneap

raveneap New Member

I'm really happy with my new Springfield Armory Custom Loaded...

[​IMG]
  15. meandmy45s

meandmy45s New Member

Two Kimbers, two Wilsons, zero complaints.

Les Baer makes some really nice pistols that will take you to the higher end of the kimber price range if not a little beyond.

Ed Brown and Wilson make some really nice firearms. Another member just bought a Nighthawk and has really good things to say about it. Once you get into this price range ($2200+), you ought to be happy with anything you choose.

Kimbers start around $800 bucks and even their entry model (basic model) is a nice firearm, that you can customize further as you go. However out of the box all of the Kimbers shoot well. At least the 7 or so models that I have fired.