Buying a cronograph

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by 38 special, Jun 9, 2009.

1. 38 special

38 special New Member

Ive decided to buy a cronograph to see just what the velocities are in my various handloads. I will be shooting 38 special, 357 mag and 44 mag for the most part. I might also want to test the 30-06,45-70, and the 22-250.
    I saw one for 100$ at Cabelas . all i want is the velocity .is the 100$ one good enough for the calibers mentioned or is there some cut off between models depending upon the cartridge. I never used one so dont know anything about them other than they measure velocity.
    apparently you shoot thru the V shaped wires. Just curious, has anyone accidentally shot intothe wires?
  2. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

I found the chrony master which has the seperate display and a 20' or so cord so you can set it on your bench for 89 bucks - it works awesome. The answer to the wire question is no not yet but an ole wise man at the range told me to get rid of the wires and replace them with dowels, what a great idea.
  3. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

I've been using the Chrony for over 20 years and it works quit well. The upgrades allow you to store more information, get the controls up to the bench with you, download information to your computer and season your coffee in the morning.

Well, almost all of that. :D

Chronographs are fun. There is a controversy whether the chronograph made by X is more accurate than the one made by Y, but I don't pay much attention to that. I care that the accuracy be within the statistical deviation of the round I'm measuring and that the readings be consistently repeatable. So, if X brand says 2752 average for 5 rounds and Brand Y says 2735 average for 5 rounds, and the deviation is the same on both tools, I have the information, from either one, that I need to adjust my load (or not.)

Buy the best and fanciest you can afford and justify. They are worth it.

Pops
  4. Southern Boy

Southern Boy New Member

"There is a controversy whether the chronograph made by X is more accurate than the one made by Y, but I don't pay much attention to that. I care that the accuracy be within the statistical deviation of the round I'm measuring and that the readings be consistently repeatable" Yep thats right on. However, u can get a few different store bought rounds and compare their info and see how far (off) yours is, and make and addition or subtraction to get correct info. Over the years, I have found to get my best, MAX loads, I will increase powder up to balistics FPS on a particular load. Say Im shooting a 7mm Rem Mag, the book says 2660 fps with x gr.of H4831 pushing a 175 grn Nos, partition. I will slowly increase from lower powder levels till I reach that velocity, then see where Im at. If the book sais 58 grn. should do that spped, and Im only at 57 grn. I can use less powder, or (depending on firearm) trick the load up a bit. Without having a barrel with a pressure gauge screwed into it, velocity is our best measure, besides loading tables. Sooner or later, every serious handloader should get one, or at least have acess to one.
  5. medalguy

medalguy Member

Yep, Chrony sells extra sets of wires. Wooden dowels work also but they eventually break when hit too. Or so I've heard.:rolleyes: