Buying a new motorcycle...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by glocknut, Sep 6, 2005.

1. glocknut

glocknut New Member

I see Honda has one called the rebel for a base price of 3k... They have a much nicer one for 7k, but i want to stick to a basic motorcycle. Its been a while...who all makes a decent motorcycle in an entry level type ??
    I'd like to keep the cost down, but if its worth it...

I don't want to buy an expensive touring bike, thats too much money, but i do intend to use it to travel the country a bit. Entry level bikes might not be the best for that ?? I dunno.... you guys tell me.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I only want to buy new...used is not my thing...usually anyway.

mike
    gn
  2. Deputy Dawg

Deputy Dawg Active Member

Personally I do not care for anything smaller than a 1000cc motorcycle, but just for around town i would consider a smaller size. I use to have a Suzuki GS1000 .A friend of mine hade a GS750. Before the Suzuki i had a Honda 350 four. The 1000 rode better and had a whole lot MORE POWER.This is one time where I feel bigger is better.Too bad Glock does not make a motorcycle,because i would have to buy one.Right now i have a Honda XR500 dirt bike,Honda 300 fortrax 4 wheeler.,and a Suzuki 700 king quad, I wish 4 wheeler could be street legal, How did i get off one this rabbit trail. A friend of mine has a honda rebel 250 for sale with 800 miles on it.
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2005
  3. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

glocknut:

I have owned probably over 30 motorcycles in over 40 years. I currently have six in my garage today (both vintage and modern).The Rebel is a starter bike for those who have never riden before. You would quickly out grow it and find it lacking in a traveling situation. The best deal going for price is the Dual sport bikes in the 600+ cc class but they too are not good for extended rides. Some of the non-ricky racer (not Ninja types) with an upright seating postion in the 400 to 800 cc class make the best street bikes. If you are new to riding then perhaps the twin that Suzuki makes that is about 400 cc might work fine. The four cylinder bikes are much smoother and more comfortable on the road. All the Japanese bikes are good. Just pick one that you like. Some of the cruiser bikes are good too if the riding position is comfortable for you. Go sit on a few and decide. Long rides need a comfortable seating position without a Ninja crouch or a feet forward cruiser stretch. Buy what pleases your eye so you will be proud of it but do include the riding position in your choice.

LDBennett
  4. corpis66

corpis66 New Member

a good friend of mine swears by his Buell, he said its great for road trips (jackson MS to memphis Tn) and the sport bikes might get ya in the straight, but when it comes to corners... hands down i've seen him take people and leave em behind... i'd also look at some triumphs...HTH
  5. tireman

tireman Member

i have a honda shadow ace deluxe--750 cc perfect size for me or my daughter and i---good gas mileage also---many extras available---about 6000.00
  6. Deputy Dawg

Deputy Dawg Active Member

LDBennet, that was very good advice
  7. xxxxxxl

xxxxxxl New Member

Look at the Honda VTX. A nice little bike.
  8. berto64

berto64 Active Member

Mike,

Check the seat position in relation to comfort with handlebar reach and foot rest position. If it doesn't fit your body and reach then it will be a horror to ride. If at first try it doesn't ask to find out if it can be adjusted to fit you. If not, move on to another choice. You want to enjoy riding, not endure the ride on a nonfitting machine.

Any of the 400-850cc Imports will serve your purpose fine.

Make sure when straddling the saddle of the bike both feet can rest Flatly on the ground. No tiptoeing. This gives you the best control possible of your bike in almost any condition.

Good luck and happy motoring!
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2005
  9. glocknut

glocknut New Member

Thanks for the advice guys. Sounds like i might need to spend a little more than i thought......

**** it.....

mike
    gn