Buying ammo

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by time2shoot, Apr 13, 2012.

1. time2shoot

time2shoot Well-Known Member

Picked up 2 boxes of Fed. auto match at wal art (the last two box's)
    Get to the regester to pay for it.
    And she asks me is this for a rifle or pistol.:rolleyes:
    Just wanted to say neather. I plan on throwing it at the target, I'm so good. I don't need a gun i insert them manualy.;)
    Some people:rolleyes:
  2. Albtraum

Albtraum Active Member

Would've been a clever response. :) When I bought some .223 rounds awhile back, the guy at Big 5 (sporting goods store) asked what kind of gun is it for... I told him a bolt action. I guess if I said an AR15, I would have to be 21, which I am not, so he would have had to refuse the transaction.
  3. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

I haven't purchased any ammo in quite some time but I've never been asked what kind of weapon they would be used in.
  4. whichfinger

whichfinger New Member

Bought some .22 ammo at China Mart a few weeks ago. Clerk asks if it's for a rifle or handgun, I said machine gun. He didn't bat an eye, just rang it up.
  5. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    That is also the one I use when asked. Never had a problem. Sometimes I just tell them neither!
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2012
  6. clamman

clamman Member

Last time I was asked, I told him it's for a BR549 downloader. Went right through.:D:D;)
  7. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I don't see why people get so upset about this.

Federal law says you have to be 18 to buy ammo for a rifle or a shotgun, and have to be 21 to buy ammo for a pistol.

So, if you buy pistol ammo, especially stuff that can be used in a rifle - 22LR, 38 special, 357, 41 magnum, 44 special, 44 magnum, 45 Colt, 9mm or 45 ACP - then the cash register is going to prompt the clerk to ask what it's for.

If you buy a box of 30/30, the cash register will ask the clerk, "Is customer 18 or over?" If you look like you are in your 30s, the clerk just hits yes, and does not ask you. But if it is pistol ammo, the register says, "Is this for a pistol or a rifle?" If the clerk does not know about the law, he does not know WHY the register is asking that question. He just knows the question has been asked and an answer is needed, or the sale cannot go forward.

If you say "rifle", he punches that in and the register asks, "Is customer 18 or older?" If you say "pistol", he punches THAT in and the register asks, "Is customer 21 or older?" Once the clerk sees that the register wants an age, and can see you are old enough, he just punches in the answer and does not ask you.

Some time back, I was buying a movie at Wallyworld, and noticed the register ask, "Is customer 18?" I was buying an R-rated movie. Since I was obviously much older than 18, the clerk just typed "Yes" and went on with ringing up my stuff. There was no need for me to get upset about that, and I didn't.

And there is no need for people to get upset about the ammo question.

When you try to buy beer, they ask for ID, right? Do you get upset? "But I'm 28, why do you need ID?" Because the cash register won't let the sale go through without it.

It's the same thing. Stupid Federal Law.

What gets me is why people are still bitching about it. This has been the law since 1968. For most of the people that complain about it, this has been the law their entire life.

Oh, and for the smartasses out there. If I was the clerk, and I asked "rifle or pistol", and was told "neither" or "shotgun" or "machinegun" or "BR549 downloader", I would refuse the sale. You have to put up with enough crap in retail. Don't need jerks trying to be smart.
  8. Guts3d

Guts3d Well-Known Member

I have never been asked those questions here in Pa., but I routinely hear "What's your zip code?" from store clerks frequently. I view this as an invasion of my privacy, so I politely reply "No thanks". I am not being mean or condescending to the clerks, I just don't feel it is any of the store's business or right to ask. What's next, "I need to write down your driver's license number for you to buy these batteries and cigarettes, sir".
  9. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

i don't understand why they ask for id when they can see u are over 21
  10. Conman

Conman Member

Because it is a stupid law!!

It is an invasion of my rights.

It serves no useful purpose!

The cashier should be able to judge my age...70+ without asking dumb questions...just one more example of dumbing down the masses!!!!:rolleyes:

It is giving in to the wuzzy anti-gun crowd..

Want more?
  11. gcalloway

gcalloway New Member

I have not been ask in Georgia either, but when they ask for my phone number,If it is a female Clerk I tell them I am married and my wife would not appreciate me giving my number a pretty lady. If it is a guy I just say I do not give out my phone number.
  12. Donnie D

Donnie D New Member

They asked me the same thing the other day when I was buying some .22 LR, and I said "handgun", waited about 5 seconds and then said "or a rifle". Girl never batted an eye. I'm sure she could care less. Just doin her job.

Donnie D :D
  13. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

My son ask the girl at Cabela's for her phone number when she ask for his. Didn't work but that won't stop him from trying..
  14. Brass Tacks

Brass Tacks New Member

the last time I purchased .177 pellets I was asked if I was 16. I told her I had shoes older than 16.
  15. Ledslnger

Ledslnger New Member

I tell them both. :)