Buying guns online?

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by russianguns45, Aug 29, 2011.

1. russianguns45

russianguns45 New Member

I have heard of buying guns online but I need someone to talk me into buying c&r guns online. The only reason I stay away from it is that I was told you want to hand pick surplus guns to make sure you get the best of the bunch. The only thing keeping me interested in online sales is the super low prices. So what do you guys think?

P.S. I hope this is the appropriate category.
  2. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

It all depends on who you're dealing with. If you pay the extra few bucks for a hand pick, you'll get a better gun if you're dealing with someone that you can trust. But how do you know who to trust?? Ask questions and do your research. I've had great success with JG Sales, Copes and a few other online sales places.

Is there any site in particular that you're looking at? You may be able to get some feedback and what others have experienced with them.
  3. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Moderator

If you have the means, buy two or three. Add the best of the bunch to your collection (the whole purpose is to improve your collection, after all), and then sell the others off at the next local gun show. Your buyer gets a good deal, and you get to do your own "hand pick." Of course, this only works if you have the means.
  4. russianguns45

russianguns45 New Member

I was looking at JG sales. I like there prices but they say thing like bayonets, slings, mag pouches are not included. They also say things like "will have dings" and "blueing will damaged" and I know they probably do that for legal reasons but if I get a piece of crap I can't return it. So that's my dilemma.

Buying multiple is a good idea but if it took me a while to sell them I'd be in trouble because I can't miss money like that for very long (I save up for the gun after I decide which one I want).
  5. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

J&G is very good about answering their phone; call them up and talk to them. They're not going to send a piece of junk; they're up front about the condition; it is surplus as you know.
  6. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Buying surplus guns usually works out OK, just don't get your expectations too high. Those are milsurps, which means that most were dragged and kicked around by a couple of generations of recruits in maybe two or three countries. The word "mint" does not apply.

Buying from individuals on-line, sight unseen, is a crapshoot. Most sellers are honest and will provide pics and a good descriptions. But I have seen so much junk peddled that way that my inclination is to advise against doing that kind of business at all. When the item is not as advertised, there is little recourse; the seller hides behind the anonymity of "the net" and the buyer is stuck. Sure, you can spend ten thousand dollars in legal fees to sue over a $500 gun, but you probably won't and the crooks count on that.

Jim
  7. Fast Forward

Fast Forward Member

I dealt with a few on line guns Dealers,,My Mosin Nagant rifle is a nice piece after the Cosmo was removed,,,Re did the stock and had it checked by a gunsmith,,for 99.95 I can,t complain,,my Yugo M-57 had one scratch and is a great shooter wish I could afford another
  8. permafrost

permafrost Active Member

Had great luck with S. O. G. and Aim Surplus. Top notch quality. J&G is good but they rape you on the shipping.
  9. Chinook

Chinook New Member

Ive purchased from Aim and Copes a few years back. Both were very helpful, and deadly honest. The guys at Copes even said to wait, and either save up for a different model, or buy from another set that came in. Pretty impressed with that. Shipping from J&G I too have heard is outrageous. But no actual expereince with them.
  10. jwrauch

jwrauch New Member

Have purchased a number of guns online thru ********* and auction.arms with pretty good results. I only buy from sellers with a good feedback score..JR
  11. russianguns45

russianguns45 New Member

Wow. Thanks for all the replies. I learned a lot. I just don't want to get screwed (I'm a little paranoid about it if you can't tell). I'll make a few phone calls and maybe travel further to check in store prices and if there low enough I wont mind paying a little extra for hand picking.

P.S. Can someone quickly (I should probably save it for another thread but I thought I could sneak it in hear) tell me where to buy a Yugoslav m70 online I'm having trouble finding legit sounding sites (I want to do price comparisons so if you know the current value of one that's fine to)
  12. russianguns45

russianguns45 New Member

BTW the way I meant here not hear above.
  13. jmace57

jmace57 Member

Just another comment from someone else who has had really good luck with buying C&R guns on-line. 4 Mosin-Nagants from AIM - all met or exceeded my expectations. 4 Yugo M-57s and one CZ-82 from Widener's. 3 of the M-57's excellent, and one in unfired condition. CZ had some holster wear, but has been perfect.
  14. warriflefan

warriflefan Member

I bought a nice enfield #4 from www.classicarms.us and have talked to them on the phone several times. I would highly recommend them. I also got a nice NPM M1 carbine off of *********. I think on the auction sites the sellers have a lot of encouragement to stay out of trouble. Living in California (I know: ''boo hiss") it is just nice to have a rifle show up at the door with no 10 day wait, no $25 dros, and no FFL mark up. It's also nice having guns that are not registered. Although that looks like it will soon change here thanks to ol' Moonbeam Brown and Rep. Mike Feuer from the 42nd district.