Buying new sidearm!

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by VegasTech702, Jan 31, 2008.

1. VegasTech702

VegasTech702 New Member

Hey guys haven't been on for a long while until now, have been very busy. I just recently got my ccw in the mail. It's been a good day! Needless to say I am in the market for another auto-loader pistol. I have to ccw guns my Kel-Tec p-11 and my Bersa T380, unfortunately these don't exactly meet my needs for range/competition. I am currently looking into getting a new full-size pistol primarily for range and competitive shooting but also for carrying during the winter months. I up until recently carried my Beretta 92FS until as some of you may recall got a crack in the frame, thats another story. Needless to say, I will not be spending any more of my money on Beretta products. I am however looking at the the following pistols: Taurus PT92, Taurus PT1911, or Springfield XD-9 to buy within the next month. I am not looking to spend any more than $600 and the thought I sticking with a 9mm is desirable due to my already having all the reloading equipment. I also want a lifetime warranty. I know the Taurus warranty is good but don't know too much about the springfield's other than I like shooting it and it seems to be good value.

Let me know what you guys think on this one! Thanks
  2. dusty9

dusty9 Member

I have experience with the PT92 and the Springfield XD9 and think highly of both of them. I don't with the PT1911 but have heard nothing but good things about them.

I suggest you also consider a Glock 17. As I'm sure you know, people seem to either love or hate Glocks. The G17 was the first and original Glock and many people say it is still the best of the entire Glock line. It is arguably the most reliable and durable semi auto on the market. It is also very simple, the easiest pistol I have ever seen to strip, both field strip and total strip. Parts, if needed, are inexpensive and you can install them yourself. A lot of aftermarket parts are available for it if you should want to modify or customize it. Go to a range that rents guns and try one.

That being said, I think any of the three models you are considering would be excellent choices that you would be very happy with.
  3. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

At least originally, the Taurus PT92 was made on Beretta machines that were left in Brazil, so if you're not big on Beretta, I don't know if that particular Taurus is any better.
  4. Mosin_Nagant_Fan

Mosin_Nagant_Fan Active Member

I'm considering a G36 or G38...and a pair of gloves to go along with 'em.
  5. MikeyL

MikeyL New Member

Just my humble opinion, but check out the Para-Ordinance 1911 guns in 9mm. I have had great experience with the LDA (Light Double Action) triggers on my Paras, and they make 9mm in several different variations; you carry them hammer down on a live cartridge just like a revolver. The LDA guns make lots of sense; they are reliable as a train, made of real steel and wood (no stinkin' plastic!) and have been, in the past, a good value. I have noticed the price going up, however. Anyway, give them a look.

MikeyL
  6. Vladimir

Vladimir New Member

If you are at all like me I would look at 1911s. I am not personally (my needs are different), but you mentioned competition, which I have done. Seems like a gun you can get at value and add to over the years to make one hell of a competitive machine. If you plan on having cash available over the years for that kind of thing.
  7. Taurus_9mm

Taurus_9mm New Member

I own a PT92 and PT1911 as well as an XD, though the XD is a .45 and not 9mm.

My experiences are as follows: All three have been 100% reliable with what I've put through them with zero failures to feed, fire or eject. There was one exception with the PT92 once but it was a dud round and not the fault of the pistol itself.

The grip safety on the XD is there but not really noticeable. The grip safety on the PT1911 requires more pressure to initiate than the XD but it's not by much in my opinion. Both have have sights that are easy to see though the PT1911 uses the heinie straight 8s instead of the more conventional 3 dot setup which the XD and PT92 have.

In terms of reliability and accuracy, any of the three should serve you well. A couple of our members on the taurus board have used their PT92s for ISPC competition and one has 23,000 rounds through his with the original locking block still intact. My PT92 has about 8,000 rounds through it currently. The only things I've changed on it and the PT1911 were the plastic factory grips which have been since swapped out for Hogues.

www.taurusarmed.net www.xdtalk.com
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2008
  8. Taurus_9mm

Taurus_9mm New Member

9. VegasTech702

VegasTech702 New Member

So I bought my new firearm! I got a Springfield XD 9mm Tactical. I took it out yesterday and was pleased with its performance with the exception of the gap between the front and rear sight picture. I think I may them changed.
  10. Michael G

Michael G New Member

Vegas, I read that you got your new nine already and congratulations. :D
    I was just wondering why you didn't consider the Bersa 9 as an option since you already have the 380?
  11. VegasTech702

VegasTech702 New Member

lack of availability... Hard to find Bersas in Vegas. Besides I wanted to try something new... Never had a Springfield before. I think I am going to be changing the sights though, too much wiggle room for the front sights between the rears. Maybe go with some tritiums not sure yet.
  12. Michael G

Michael G New Member

I don't have any experience with the Taurus brand but I have shot the SA-XD 40 compact against my Kimber Ultra CDP in 45.
    The XD40 was just as smooth and comfortable as the Kimber and accuracy was just as good at CCW distances which is all I shoot.