Buying Tires (Online)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Vladimir, Oct 27, 2009.

1. Vladimir

Vladimir New Member

Any recommendations. I am not in a lot of money right now and last time I checked online was much cheaper. Any website recommendations, and/or tire recommendations? Need to replace my balding Blizzaks with some decent year-round tires (not in Spokane anymore, so not fighting four feet of snow, we will be lucky to get two, and the Monte Carlo is so heavy it will handle fine with decent all-season tires I believe).

EDIT: Looking at something like this

But these are not available until December (might not matter), or earlier to ship from farther (but then $80 shipping, instead of $50). May have to check Costco as well.
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2009
  2. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

I got those on my wife's 500. Love them, best tires I ever had on that car. I bought them from my BIL who works for a dealer. He sold them to me at cost. 48 bucks each!!! Kinda hard for me to stomach 80 each but they are a very nice tire. If your looking for a less expensive alternative check out Kuhmo. I have them on my Explorer, there better than the Firestones I had and about half the cost and wear great. Got about 20K miles on them and they look new.
  3. glocknut

glocknut New Member

Now i am stuck with $330 per tire on my car...but for an $80 tire i just don't see the idea behind ordering it online. You are going to pay for shipping... and if they cannot be balanced as i have seen some that can't be... you are going to have to send it back and wait for another to come.

I just don't get it when it comes to all this online craze that everyone is wrapped up in these days? :confused:

mike
    gn
  4. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

Good night, I may be a little green in the forum, but what the heck do you drive? monster truck?
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2009
  5. Oldeyes

Oldeyes Member

I looked extensively online for a good deal on tires for my wife's car. The set of tires that I was looking at online were going to run $380 including shipping. One of the places that I looked online had a predetermined mount and balance tire price arrangement with Monroe Muffler. Adding the local mount and balance charges upped the total cost to around $500. I live almost on top of a Monroe Muffler shop, so I stopped in to check how the ship direct to them from the online retailer program worked. While there I looked at some of the tires that they had available and found that I could get a equal quality set of 40,000 mile rated and equal speed rated steel belted Bridgestone manufactured Fuzion branded tires (with a direction tread pattern very similar to the ones that you are looking at), mounted, balanced, aligned and lifetime rotated for $450. At $30 or so a pop, the freebie tire rotation for life really made a good deal even better. Plus, had I desired I could have gotten local instant tire replacement lifetime road hazard insurance for $65. The two competing comparable quality Wally World tire options ran $675 and $775. I went with the Monroe Muffler Bridgestone Fuzion tires and have been quite pleased, plus the wife is off my case. :D The Bridgestone Fuzion tires are an infinite improvement over the Goodyear's that came on the car and that wore out at 27K miles. I was surprised that Monroe Muffler was that competitive.

PS I think that going into Monroe Muffler (or other such shops) with numerous comparative local and online prices helps to cut to the chase and get a better bottom line deal.
  6. glocknut

glocknut New Member

A Black 2009 Honda Accord EXL V6 with navigation... :D:D:D:D

235-45-18

mike
    gn

Attached Files:

• a.jpg
      a.jpg
      File size:
      65 KB
      Views:
    • aa.jpg
      aa.jpg
      File size:
      58.6 KB
      Views:
    • aaa.jpg
      aaa.jpg
      File size:
      62.7 KB
      Views:
  7. durk

durk Active Member

Hey that's durk in that first pic glocknut.:D
  8. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

God I love black cars but I will never buy one again until the kids are moved out, or they learn to "quit touching the car"!
  9. doug66

doug66 New Member

What, nobody sells tires where you live? I'm sure someone will mount and balance for ya, but that's kinda like taking your own chicken into KFC and having them cook it for you. It is a lot easier to deal with someone in person over a defect or road hazard. Been there. Done that.
  10. Popgunner

Popgunner New Member

I agree. Hard to show up to a tire shop with a set of tires you bought online. You'll probably get a story about their liability & that they won't touch them. My local favorites are Walmart, Sam's club, Discount tire co, & Costco. I'd call around first to see if a local shop will even install online tires & how much for mounting & balancing. I just had a shop tell me they wouldn't rotate my tires because they were over four years old. Said there was too much liability.
  11. jjmitchell60

jjmitchell60 Active Member

Raised in Buzzard Roost near Frog Town in hillls o
  12. Kieran McCaig

Kieran McCaig New Member

Hey Mike durk's trying to steal your car again.:D:D
  13. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

Usually, http://www.discounttiredirect.com has the best prices on shipped tires. They offer free shipping as well. Tirerack.com does not. Discount Tire Direct tries to trick you with things like adding in valve stems for an extra charge. Don't do that... You get new valve stems when your tires are mounted and balanced and it's included in the price of mounting. You have to uncheck those options before ordering. Around here, you can purchase from Discount Tire Direct for much less, have them shipped for free, and have them mounted and balanced for $8 per tire. It's a good deal... Stay away from the chain stores for mounting and balancing. Give the local guys the work... It's cheaper and they're often infinitely more qualified.

I'm a car nut and have purchased high performance tires for 2 Mustangs for a few years. When I shop around, I can't beat the online deals with the prices I pay for mounting and installation. I couldn't beat the prices for my truck tires online either compared to local shops.

As for the General Tires you have picked, I would stay away from them for wear and all-weather traction. Tires with stylish tread profiles are often not the best choice for inclement weather. Traditional tread block profiles often work far better for water-shedding and overall performance in all-season conditions. Also, the UTQG rating for 440 on those tires is pretty low, indicating more of a performance leaning. If you are really short on funds, try something with a higher UTQG rating above 500 with a more dispersed tread pattern. The 'aqua-look' tires don't always mean better water-shedding capability.

You generally get what you pay for in tires. If you pay $80/tire for a tire that lasts only 30K miles, is it worth foregoing the cost of a $120 tire that lasts 70K and performs better along the way?... Yeah, I know... It's easy to say from a computer keyboard. :)
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2009
  14. glocknut

glocknut New Member

Yes it is... :D

eh...i got insurance... :D:D

mike
    gn
  15. Kieran McCaig

Kieran McCaig New Member

Your Canadian is getting better but it's"I got insurance Eh.":D