1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

C-130s - a history

Discussion in 'Vietnam Memories Photo Album' started by williamd, Aug 27, 2007.

1. williamd

williamd New Member

2. Herky Birds forever! :D
  3. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 New Member

I love the Hercs also C-123's and C-117. They were the work trucks of the Air Force and Airborne ops for many years.
  4. rooter

rooter *VMBB Senior Chief Of Staff*

Marty Robbins old hometown, Glendale Arizona--a su
    A MEMORY OF MINE......
    You could sense the tension and the anxiety in the air--you could feel it on your skin--in your
    bowels--- that scrotum twisting sensation that things needed to be structured and that
    someone needed to ‘get-in-charge of this cluster jerk’.
    This was the third time, in as many days, that this group of mixed service troops had boarded
    the large military aircraft. If those transiting personnel were observant enough, they could tell
    it was the same aircraft, the same flight crew, the same lashed down cargo, and mostly the
    same people that had boarded each of the three previous days. One could pick out those
    personnel who had probably been to Vietnam before, and were returning from R&R or
    emergency leaves from stateside. Whatever the reason, those were the people who seemed
    more willing to accept the ‘hurry-up and wait’ SNAFU, whereby others including myself, were
    anxious to get this show on the road--to get to the final destination, be it good, bad, or ugly.
    It was early January, 1968, and this C-130 flight that was originating at the DaNang Air Base,
    was heading up north with stops at Phu Bai and on further north to Dong Ha. The TET Offensive
    was raging across the length and breadth of the northern areas known as I Corps. There was
    an expression coined and repeated by most of the troops, “BEANS AND BULLETS IN--BODIES
    OUT”. I remember my shock and concern that first day upon arriving in DaNang, when I had
    seen many silver bright caskets waiting for shipment out. I was told later that the color of the
    tags that flipped and jerked in the breeze, meant something or other. It was a foreboding and
    a sobering event for everyone. Someone attempted an ill-timed joke about the caskets and a
    crisp, “knock it off you ass-hole” sounded loud and clear so that everyone, regardless of rank
    or rate could hear the remark and keep a civil tongue in their head.
    I noticed the heavy set navyman again today as I had on the other days. He was dressed in
    Navy green utilities every time I had seen him on the previous days. He wore collor devices
    denoting he was a petty officer second class, and the medical caduceous device of a navy
    hospital corpsmen. I was attired in my service dress khaki uniform. This day the big, rotund
    corpsman spoke to me with a friendly “good morning Senior Chief---where are you bound
    for”? I returned the man’s friendly salutation and remarked I was heading for DongHa to join
    up with Naval Mobile Construction Battalion Five. “Well Senior, what do ya know---that’s my
    outfit”, he exclaimed excitedly, “I been down here to DaNang to observe a religious ceremony
    and now I’m trying to get back---ya sure look young to be a Senior Chief”. The big man had a
    good sense of timng, even though I felt he was just stroking the dog.
    Suddenly I could feel the throttling up of the aircrafts engines and sense the foward movement
    of the large craft. More power applied and faster movement foward. The flight crew buckled
    themselves into the webbed harness seats and now the big ungainly 130 was bolting ahead,
    almost like a horse out of the gate. Perhaps this would be a real and true, go-for-it today.
    Maybe the up country bombardment and hostilities had lifted so we could get where we were
    going. I looked over at my newly introduced shipmate and he looked back but it was as if he
    didn’t see me. Could it be this big fellow was frightened of flying. The tower must have given
    this much delayed ‘bird’ the thumbs- up high sign, for without any hesitation, the big aircraft
    seemed to leap abruptly from fast taxi mode to real fast ‘bend you over in your seat’ takeoff,
    and in no time, the large craft was airborne.
    The pilot masterfully swung the ponderous plane out over the South China Sea and I heard
    some one of the crew mention to escape possible ground fire. I knew sure as hell now, that
    these were words and phrases that I would have to begin using in my conversation. Within
    hours however, other words would come to be used and would take on a whole new
    meaning of their own for me. “INCOMING” screamed from deep in the bowels through a
    throat that was so constricted with fear, that it would be hard to breathe. Or the statement of
    fact, “HOLY ****, THAT WAS CLOSE”, sounded as if a joke when repeated to a buddy later, but
    when that statement was uttered during a rocket attack, you wanted the whole world to know
    just how close!!! “SUMBITCH IS STILL HOTTER THAN A FIRECRACKER” as you flick the fragmented
    hunk of sharpnel away from you--a possible keepsake that you shouldn’t have glombed onto
    so quickly--- your fingers seared by that ugly shard that had it hit you---well that’s all they would
    have written and then they’d have sent your saddle home.
    I think it was called Camp Evans, but not sure, and it was at Phu Bai where it was almost just a
    ‘slow down and jump out’ for the troops getting off there. The C-130 continued on to Dong
    Ha where I believe that was just to be a turn-around also. When we all deplaned, it was like a
    Chinese fire-drill and there was not much encouragement to look back. We had been told
    not to worry about our seabags and duffels as that gear would be transported for us at our
    various camps.
    During the TET OFFENSIVE, which continued for most of the deployment, I would be assigned
    as the S-2 Senior Chief (Intell & Training) for the battalion. The Corpsman, who I and everyone
    else called Doc, and who had ridden the plane with me up from DaNang, would come
    around to my office a lot. My S-2 yeoman, Jimmy Walker and Doc were good friends, both
    being from California. Jimmy was from Bakersfield and Doc was from Brentwood. Doc was
    Jewish and Jimmy was Southern Baptist, however their differences turned out to be their
    strenghts. Jimmy was a classic, ‘squared-away’ American bluejacket with everything fitting
    and looking nice, whereby Doc was extremely overweight and physically uncoordinated to a
    laughable degree. On the Doc’s green utilitiy uniforms, the laundry had to sew a big v-shaped
    gussett into the waist of Doc’s trousers---actually the Doc was pear-shaped---he had overly
    large feet and walked with his feet splayed out at a 45 degree angle--kinda made slapping
    noises on the deck when he took steps. Doc used to bring stuff over to the S-2 and share it with
    us--things his Mother had sent--mostly things with Hebrew labels on them---and he’d go by the
    galley and get thermos jugs full of ‘panther-piss’ --that’s what he called the Kool Aid.
    I had been aboard about three months when Doc ‘made-his-bones’ out near the Rock Pile
    and Camp Carrol near CaLu. Doc had been assigned as the corpsman for a convoy of
    materials and supplies offloaded at the Cua Viet River wharf and being transported overland.
    I wasn’t there to observe the ambush, but the AAR’s filled in the details and were eventually
    used as documentations to get Doc awarded the Bronze Star for bravery under fire. One little
    Steelworker striker that was wounded by B-40 frags, told and retold the story of Doc and how
    Doc had been like a man possessed as he worked the wounded and even directed
    counter-fire. The more often Daniel’s told the story about Doc, the more profound the facts of
    the combat action. But isn’t that the way legends become as they do---you hear them often
    enough, and though you weren’t there to eye-ball them, you record them in your minds eye
    and legends they stay.
    Doc, you may have not cut a very military figure in your doctored-up up uniform, but you sure
    made a story for the Seabees to often repeat about you. What the hell did you ever do with
    your life Doc---do you recall those times also--everytime you swig that red ‘panther-piss’ Doc,
    do you think about those days so long ago---lots of us have tried to forget, but we can’t ever
    put it all away---if we don’t think about it when we are awake, it sure comes galloping through
    our troubled dreams. Wilborn sends
  5. kennymauser

kennymauser New Member

I was just browsing through this forum and saw the C-130 Hercules thread!
    I was a crew chief on them from Sept. 1967- March 1969 at Naha AFB Okinawa, and then from Mar. 1969- July 1970 at CCK AB. I also flew as a Loadmaster/Flarekicker out of Ubon Thailand for 90 days (40 missions) in 1968. That was the Blind Bat Mission.
    Out of the 33 months overseas, 29 of them were in Viet Nam. Mostly at Cam Rahn Bay and all over Viet Nam. I have many pics of the Hercules in use and places I went that i can try posting if you guys are interested!
    I will try some now!
    Ken

Attached Files:

6. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Welcome to TFF and your service in combat is very appreciated here. Great pics, you'll find alot of aviation nuts here. I love the Hercs and flew on plenty of them in the Corps. I was an avionics tech on Hornets from 91-98. My favorite Herc is Fat Albert, of course I'm slightly partial ;)

Semper Fi,

Woolley
  7. kostnerave

kostnerave Member

Took many a flight in C-130 usually to places I didn't want to go. Alway felt safer in them.
    But then anything off the ground was safer then standing or laying on it. VN 65/66
    101st Airborne 2/327inf.
  8. rooter

rooter *VMBB Senior Chief Of Staff*

Marty Robbins old hometown, Glendale Arizona--a su
    WOW!!! You new visitors have opened up an old group of postings from almost 6 years ago...I'm sure now that it is open again, many old memories will come forth about the C-130 aircraft...and to you new arrivals, greetings all!!! That story I wrote and posted there so long ago is being reprinted in a published authors new book he writing about the Navy Seabees in Vietnam...I had titled that story, 'WHAT' UP, DOC'...He requested my permission to add the story to his book and I was very flattered and gave it....
    Chief
  9. kennymauser

kennymauser New Member

Just another pic with C-130's. This is taken from Herky Hill where I lived when I was at Cam Rahn Bay. All of our missions were started from there. All in one day, we might have hauled fuel bladders, Vietnamese civilians and their pigs & chickens etc., Ammo, food, combat troops, and many med-evac missions.
    I always thanked God that I didn't have to go where we were taking the combat ready American troops . Always on very short dirt or psp strips while never stopping. Our planes were called "mortar magnets" with good reason!!
    I will never forget the looks on the guys faces knowing that they may never return.

America owes you guys. Welcome Home!!

Ken

Attached Files:

10. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

My big battle during my tour was a 3-month long seige at An Loc in 1972. The C-130's paid a high price during that fight performing the re-supply drops at An Loc due to the severe AAA threat. At least four (4) C-130's were shot down with loss of the crews and many, many more were severely damaged.

In addition, the enemy was even successful at downing a AC-130 Spectre Gunship at An Loc. Not an easy thing to do. Three of the eight AC-130's downed in Vietnam came during the fight in the Eastertide Offensive launched by the NVA in 1972.

I love the sturdy C-130 and have the utmost respect for those who operate them!
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2013
  11. dbcooper

dbcooper Well-Known Member

some of the best memories I have is being on the ramp at night when about 15 H Models were lined up to take off.

I remember thinking to myself that they looked like scorpions.
  12. Airborneguy

Airborneguy Well-Known Member

Airborne! I loved every one of my C-130 jumps. Every time that tail dropped I got a smile from ear to ear.
  13. Swifty Morgan

Swifty Morgan Tired of getting my post deleted Supporting Member

.............................................................................................I remember Naha and BC Kozier villiage#1 & 2(excuse the spelling) 1967 R&R from Nha Be. When you would walk out of the bars in Naha after a few cool one's, the heat would knock you down.
    I pawned my high school class ring in Naha for 3 dollars and two days later shipped out to Olonapo, Subic Bay and never got back to get it.
    I flew MATS back to North Island and caught a 130 to Cecil Field Fla. and had problems with the landing gear not wanting to work and the chief assured me we didn't need a damn landing gear to land.
    It seems like 100 years ago.:rolleyes:
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2013
  14. kennymauser

kennymauser New Member

Swifty, Your class ring story brought back memories!! A few buddies and I decided to go up to Kadena from Naha to try out the night life in Koza! Needless to say, we did find nightlife!:D I also pawned my class ring there for some extra entertainment money.!! Always planned on getting back to Koza to get it back. Oh well, I did have a good time!!

Never did go off base in Viet Nam!!

Ken
  15. frow blucher

frow blucher Member

Swifty, your comment reminded me of a harrowing flight I took on a USAF DC 3 or DC 8 out of McGuire AFB (NJ) going to Hanscom AB in Mass. It was a quick hop, and the crew included a crusty old Chief MS, and they passed out the boxed lunches. I looked out the window as we gained altitude, and saw the left engine on fire (only 2 engines on the plane). Being a young airman (out of Andrews AFB, 1971), I was kind of freaked, but didn't want to show it. I looked back over my shoulder, to the chief and waved to him. All I remember next, this crusty old veteran who had probably seen it all, leaned over me in my seat, with a ham sandwich in his hand, chewing on some of it, looked out the window and saw the fire, then casually looked at me and said, "one thing you can't do is never let it ruin your lunch". I calmed down.
    True story. We returned to McGuire, and and I got on a C 141 up to Westover MA. I've always preferred prop planes ever since that day, since it could fly on one engine quite safely. (Course, I never was in the situation of some of you guys who had to endure enemy fire on the airplane. Closest I ever got was Clark AB).
    FB