C and R

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by thomasray, Feb 13, 2011.

1. thomasray

thomasray Member

Hello from the lower 40. I need your opines on getting a C and R lis. for personal use. Not to deal but to get a few old relics to shoot and enjoy. I tire of paying sales tax, FFL agent fees and shipping that kills a lot of interest in the hobby. Glad for your in puts. BR.
  2. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

i am not very up to date on the subject but im thinking that the c&r will only eliminate the ffl fees. they dont charge tax out of state and you'll still pay shipping with a license.

it depends on how many you're going to get and all but for me, i dont think it'd be worth it. with a license wouldnt you have to keep records and such? and stop being just a normal consumer. you're then obligated to the government to do it a certain way right?
  3. OcelotZ3

OcelotZ3 Former Guest

The C&R eliminates the fees and rifles & handguns can ship straight to your house. You don't "save" on shipping fees nor sales tax, unless you pick the item up in person...

Are you thinking of driving into Oregon & buying C&R's there with the license & transporting back to Washington?
  4. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

C&R license helped me "improve" my H&R collection immensely. I purchased over 200 firearms classified as C&R over the inter-net auction sites - all were delivered directly to my address. You will be required to keep a "bound book", in which you will log all acquisitions and dispositions - just like a dealer must keep. C&R license is good for 5 years and costs about $30. It allows you to buy and sell (within limits) C&R certified firearms with the aim of improving your collection - not being in the business of buying and selling for profit.
  5. gandog56

gandog56 Member

Well, the very first time I used it I saved 27 bucks on a transfer fee, so it was almost worth it the very first time I used it.

I have now saved a total of $378 in transfer fees alone. Not to mention getting C&R license holder discounts on parts and reloading supplies from Graf and Sons, Midway, and Numrich. All that for just having to write down a little information on each gun in a book?

I'll take it!
  6. OcelotZ3

OcelotZ3 Former Guest

I didn't point out that I've had one for less than a year and I've saved $55 in transfer fees so far.

It's also pretty neat to have a box show up at your door with a new (to you) gun in it...
  7. johnlives4christ

what about... if you lose the book?

also do you have to keep records on any guns other then ones you buy with your c&r? like guns you had previously or maybe swap from a friend under the table.

do you have to report it to the atf?
  8. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

John, I guess is it possible to lose the book but one could lose anything, I keep mine in the top portion of my dresser, the only way I will lose it is if the house burns down. If that happens the guns will probably be gone too. Just keep a copy of the "police or fire department or insurance report" just in case.

I have heard that you have to put any "old" gun that you already own into the bound book. I have heard that if buy one face to face from someone even without using the C&R, you have to put in in the bound book. I DISAGREE WITH THOSE WHO SAY THESE THINGS. I searched the entire C&R law and did not find anything that says this.

Do you have to report it to the AFT? In a word - NO.

I think it is well worth the $30 it costs to get one. I have had my C&R for nine years (original and two renewals) and unless something has changed since 11 June 2008, they are only good for three years, not five.
  9. johnlives4christ

aight. well that clears up some of the hype i've heard
  10. jmace57

jmace57 Member

In case you are interested, I applied for my C&R on January 18th, 2011 and it was in my mailbox on February 12th. Those 3 1/2 weeks felt like forever though. In addition to the monetary savings, just avoiding the HASSLE of having to go to the dealer is worth it to me.
  11. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

That's very good information and good to know.
    I thank jmace57 for the OT.
  12. johnlives4christ

what happens to the "book" lets say.. if you let your c&r expire?
  13. deadin

deadin Well-Known Member

You used to have to turn it in, but now you can do whatever you want with it. (Burn it, shred it, keep it for old times sake, etc.) (They changed the requirements.)
  14. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

THREE (3) years it is! Not 5 as I originally posted.
    You hang on to your book, even if you let your C&R expire. Chance of being "audited" by ATF agents approaches ZERO. Guns owned before acquiring license do not go into book; guns (modern) that are acquired without using license do not go into book. Any time you hand a copy of your license to another person in exchange for a C&R firearm - that person's information (name, address, license number, etc.) is entered ALONG with information describing that firearm. IF you lose your book - you are a klutz.
  15. thomasray

thomasray Member

OK.All good and appreciated input. What if you croak? Does Junior get your CR booked guns? And the book goes away?
  16. deadin

deadin Well-Known Member

Jim,
    Just to clear up which side of the disagreement on what goes into the book you are on, what are you calling "modern"?;)
    Less than 50 years old (non-C&R) or post 1898 (non-antique)?
  17. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

18. deadin

deadin Well-Known Member

Thank you! (You think the same way I do.)
    Besides, you can't acquire a modern, non-C&R on your FFL03 in the first place.;)