C. G. Bonehill 10 ga

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by ejeviking, Apr 28, 2011.

1. ejeviking

ejeviking New Member

I'm helping a buddy get some information on a 10 Ga side by side he had passed down from his Grandpa. Any information as to the value and history would be appreciated.

C. G. Bonehill side by side 10 ga.
    "London Laminated steel" on rib between barrels
    What I believe is the serial number "1052" stamped on the lower reciever
    Patent number 37181877
    another mark that I cannot distinguish (bad cell phone camera)

any help would be appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

C.G. Bonehill was a trade name used by Crescent Firearms Co. No real collector value.
    Hmmm, that's a Birmingham proof mark. Did some research and it appears there were two C.G. Bonehills on shotguns. The ones made by Crescent and the real deal out of the U.K. Yours seems to be the latter.
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2011
  3. ejeviking

ejeviking New Member

Thanks Hawg, yes, all the information on all of the websites/blogs I have visited indicate this is manufactured in Birmingham, England. There are a few out there that say "New Model, 1885" but this particular gun does not. I tried looking up the "serial" number, if that is what the 1052 is, but didn't find anything.
  4. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

Christopher George Bonehill's Belmont Firearms Works in Birmingham 1851-1965. Held several patents related to shotguns 1880s-90s. Crescent may have sold a few Bonehill guns, or used barrels furnished by Bonehill?
  5. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

Contrary to popular belief Crescent was a stand alone manufacturer. I don't think they would have used barrels from another manufacturer. That would be kinda like S&W using Colt barrels. Crescent used over 100 different trade names and I know C.G. Bonehill was one of them. I really have no clue.