C&H swaging die set

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Guest, Feb 24, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

AGunguy
    *TFF Staff*
    (1/2/03 12:12:23 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All C&H swaging die set
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Been experimenting with the C&H swaging dies when things get boring in the winter time. Got some in .44 caliber.

I put .38 special 158 grain hard cast Meister blue lubed bullet in the gizmo and swaged it up to .44 caliber, in fact I swaged it into four different shapes with the same uniformity because of the lock rings on the die.

Ever shoot a .38 special 158 grain bullet in a .44 special or magnum. For magnum, I swaged a gascheck onto the bullet while resizing it...worked great.

Will have to wait until next spring to try them out in the .44 special...if I ever have a .44 special...hint hint to the Texas boys who have it down south.

I even tried some 9 mm jacketed bullets, and they don't seem to form up big enough for the .44 cal diameter, however, the 124 grain one came out pretty good. Probably try those for a low pressure squib load...they are pretty short.

Gunguy

Edited by: AGunguy at: 1/2/03 2:18:10 pm

inplanotx
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/2/03 3:27:45 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: C&H swaging die set
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hi GG,
    Hmmm, you sure do pose some thought provoking try outs. However, since I've never done this, I have no ideas as to how this works. What I do have is questions.

1) Since the bullet is being shortened (.38 158gr to .429 158gr) then my question is "will losing bearing surface of the bullet cause accuracy to denegrate?"

2) Since you are working the metal, then you are losing Brinnell hardness. "Will this cause leading problems with the softer metal?" You can always set a hardness tester from Midway to see the change!

Now, for number 2 I do have a solution. You can reheat treat the bullets, but then you need to relube.

Just a little thought provocation.

By the way, package arrived and many thanks!
    Improvise...Adapt...Overcome

AGunguy
    *TFF Staff*
    (1/2/03 7:58:39 pm)
    Hi, Rick.

The 158 grain .38 special Meister hard cast bullets are no problem, in fact the blue lube job on the bullet comes right along with the swaging operation and is a little thinner strip on the .44 sizing.

Do you remember those fancy 172 grain lead .38 special bullets you sent, they too work just fine and come out the same as the Meister bullets when swaged.

These reshaped 158 grain .44 caiber bullets are just about a 1/2 inch in bearing surface which should be plenty in revolver barrel.

You do bring up a good point about some bullets of soft lead are going to start feeling a bit sticky when worked in this fashion.

I tried a couple of Hornady soft lead .38 special HBWC in a gascheck and it came out OK but it may cause some leading problems...time will tell...next spring.

What does work really good in swaging is using jacketed bullets, no problem there except when you try to use too light of a bullet...then you wind up with a button type bullet that looks like a candidate for a squib load.

Forget trying to use plated bullets, the coating when swaged starts to look wrinkled in several places...kind of like me.

If anyone wants to play around doing what I'm doing, just get ahold of C&H at chtool@amnet.net, and ask for one of their catalog...or, I think they have an on line catalog.

Gunguy

Edited by: AGunguy at: 1/4/03 7:59:19 am

inplanotx
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/3/03 10:36:24 am)
    Hi GG,
    Just found the website for CH Tool & Die. It's www.ch4d.com. They have the complete catalog online there. Sounds interesting. Think I'll browse around there awhile. Maybe someone will be kind and activate the link for me. Thanks

Rick

activated link

Edited by: shooter45 us at: 1/4/03 8:10:32 am

AGunguy
    *TFF Staff*
    (1/3/03 12:54:09 pm)
    I would interested in learning how to activate the links too, so I can pass them on to our reloading friends at TFF.

GG

outdoorsman260
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/3/03 2:09:41 pm)
    include h t t p : / / (without spaces) at the beginning of links

www.ch4d.com
    blake.prohosting.com/~redneck4

Edited by: outdoorsman260 at: 1/3/03 2:12:11 pm

AGunguy
    *TFF Staff*
    (1/3/03 2:44:44 pm)
    Thanks, outdoorsman260...you da man.

Rick, in the C&H catalog go to page 15, those two swaging dies pictured are the one's I have. If you happen to order them ask for the swage punch to be round nose and one semi-wadcutter style...you won't regret it.

The round nose is OK, but I'm going to try and have them make me up one that has more longer ogive taper.

If you go to page 1 it shows the 4-die station H-press that I also have and enjoy. I've made a few improvements on this press to serve me better.

Bought some collar rings at Ace hdw. that have 1/2 inch inside diameter hole and about 1 inch outside diameter, these have a large hex set screw.

Put them one at a time on my mini lathe and reamed out the INSD to slip on fit the RCBS shell holders, the set screw really locks them in tight and it is a lot easier to do it this way than the usual wire hoop thingy.

You know the Dillon primer catcher how it works on the Dillon machine, I made up a bigger one that hangs underneath the middle shell holder station on the C&H press, and as the shell plate platform rises and lowers...it punches out and catches the spent primer which is then lowered to a cup in front of the big cam roller that has the handle on it.

Note: When the cam roller comes in contact with the catcher device it opens up to release the spent primer into the cup...works slicker than owl poop on a tree limb.

Gunguy

Edited by: AGunguy at: 1/3/03 3:08:59 pm