C&R .22's out there?

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by Smokin Guns, Mar 9, 2003.

1. Smokin Guns

Smokin Guns New Member

1952Sniper
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/6/03 9:28:39 am)
    Reply C&R .22's out there?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hey folks, I'm looking for a plinker .22 rifle that I can buy with my C&R FFL. I wanted a Romanian trainer, but it's not eligible.

I know there are a lot of old .22's on the used market and auction sites, but I'm wondering if anybody knows of a .22 rifle that's being sold through an importer or wholesaler (like Aim, etc.) that is C&R.

I've seen some Enfield training rifles, but the cost seems a bit... excessive... for a .22. Anybody have any tips?

P.S. I couldn't decide on whether to post this here in the .22 forum or the C&R forum. If it needs to be moved, feel free.
    Macht kaputt, was euch kaputt macht!

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (1/6/03 11:41:24 am)
    Reply Re: C&R .22's out there?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hi Sniper....why not put it in both places. Double your pleasure, double your fun.

I know that at one time there were a bunch of Mossburg WWII training rifles around. They should be C&R. I don't know if any other U.S. manufacturers made .22 trainers during the War, but any that were made should all be C&R.

Also, there are a lot of old pre-war .22 plinkers out there. They should be eligible.

1952Sniper
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/6/03 12:04:01 pm)
    Thanks Xracer, I'll post it there too.

I'm a little surprised and disappointed that there are not more trainer rifles available from wholesalers. I keep seeing large influxes of full-fledged battle rifles, but not a lot in the way of trainer rifles. I guess it's because they were never really mass-produced for issuing to soldiers.

Bob In St Louis
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (1/6/03 12:18:02 pm)
    There was a small batch of Polish 22 trainers available a year or two ago, but they seem to have rapidly disappeared.

1952Sniper
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/6/03 12:25:41 pm)
    Were they C&R?

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (1/6/03 12:41:47 pm)
    ezSupporter
    Re: C&R .22's out there?
    Yes I believe the Polish ones were C&R. Does CMP still have the old Mossberg trainers for sale?
    Ignorance is a crime in 49 states. In the other one it is bliss.

Bob In St Louis
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (1/6/03 12:51:21 pm)
    Yes - the Polish trainers were C&R. They are a single shot 22, and from outwards appearance looked like a Mosin Nagant. SOG was selling them for $89 each when they had them.

1952Sniper
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/6/03 1:31:25 pm)
    Ok, I found a Polish trainer at J&G Sales.... $100 each, or $90 if you buy two. Looks just like a Mosin Nagant M38 to me, but without the magazine. Are they all carbine length?

Hmmm, I might consider this model, but I want to see what else is out there. Single-shot doesn't excite me too much. I wouldn't mind if it were a higher caliber, but for a .22, manually loading each tiny cartridge would get old real quick.

I really like the looks of the Enfield trainer, but I just can't bring myself to spend that much on a freakin' .22.