1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

C&R .22's out there?

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by Smokin Guns, Mar 9, 2003.

1. Smokin Guns

Smokin Guns New Member

1952Sniper
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/6/03 9:28:39 am)
    Reply C&R .22's out there?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hey folks, I'm looking for a plinker .22 rifle that I can buy with my C&R FFL. I wanted a Romanian trainer, but it's not eligible.

I know there are a lot of old .22's on the used market and auction sites, but I'm wondering if anybody knows of a .22 rifle that's being sold through an importer or wholesaler (like Aim, etc.) that is C&R.

I've seen some Enfield training rifles, but the cost seems a bit... excessive... for a .22. Anybody have any tips?

P.S. I couldn't decide on whether to post this here in the .22 forum or the C&R forum. If it needs to be moved, feel free.
    Macht kaputt, was euch kaputt macht!

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (1/6/03 11:41:24 am)
    Reply Re: C&R .22's out there?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hi Sniper....why not put it in both places. Double your pleasure, double your fun.

I know that at one time there were a bunch of Mossburg WWII training rifles around. They should be C&R. I don't know if any other U.S. manufacturers made .22 trainers during the War, but any that were made should all be C&R.

Also, there are a lot of old pre-war .22 plinkers out there. They should be eligible.

1952Sniper
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/6/03 12:04:01 pm)
    Thanks Xracer, I'll post it there too.

I'm a little surprised and disappointed that there are not more trainer rifles available from wholesalers. I keep seeing large influxes of full-fledged battle rifles, but not a lot in the way of trainer rifles. I guess it's because they were never really mass-produced for issuing to soldiers.

Bob In St Louis
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (1/6/03 12:18:02 pm)
    There was a small batch of Polish 22 trainers available a year or two ago, but they seem to have rapidly disappeared.

1952Sniper
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/6/03 12:25:41 pm)
    Were they C&R?

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (1/6/03 12:41:47 pm)
    ezSupporter
    Re: C&R .22's out there?
    Yes I believe the Polish ones were C&R. Does CMP still have the old Mossberg trainers for sale?
    Ignorance is a crime in 49 states. In the other one it is bliss.

Bob In St Louis
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (1/6/03 12:51:21 pm)
    Yes - the Polish trainers were C&R. They are a single shot 22, and from outwards appearance looked like a Mosin Nagant. SOG was selling them for $89 each when they had them.

1952Sniper
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/6/03 1:31:25 pm)
    Ok, I found a Polish trainer at J&G Sales.... $100 each, or $90 if you buy two. Looks just like a Mosin Nagant M38 to me, but without the magazine. Are they all carbine length?

Hmmm, I might consider this model, but I want to see what else is out there. Single-shot doesn't excite me too much. I wouldn't mind if it were a higher caliber, but for a .22, manually loading each tiny cartridge would get old real quick.

I really like the looks of the Enfield trainer, but I just can't bring myself to spend that much on a freakin' .22.