C & R Limitations

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by rockyrider, Mar 26, 2013.

1. rockyrider

rockyrider New Member

Guys, new to TFF. I would like to know what my limitations will be with this new and unique FFL license. Web site direction, highly desirable. Any information will be appreciated.
  2. 1952Sniper

1952Sniper New Member

Are you saying you didn't know what a Type 03 FFL was before you got one?

You'll be limited to C&R firearms. For anything that's not C&R, you'll be treated as a nonlicensee.

And you're not allowed to use your license for the purpose of a business. It's for personal collecting only. You may buy, sell, trade, and even make a profit from what you sell. But don't let it look like you're doing it as a business. It should only be on par with what any hobby collector would be expected to do. And guess who decides where the line is? The friendly bunch at the ATF.

Good luck. I had a C&R license for many years until I got tired of being threatened and intimidated by the boys at F-Troop. I had to let it go.
  3. rockyrider

rockyrider New Member

Thanks Sniper, that was pretty much my understanding before applying. I was hoping some one could point out more perks.
  4. 1952Sniper

1952Sniper New Member

You should really get familiar with the ATF website and regulations for C&R licensees. Especially the back-issues of FFL newsletters, which address a lot of specific questions for Type 03s. Make sure you're keeping your bound book perfectly in order!

As for perks, there are some. If you put your license on file with Brownell's, for example, you get the FFL discount on parts. Your C&R license is also useful for satisfying qualification requirements with the CMP, if you are interested in buying a Garand, etc. It also gets you access to discount codes and programs through various other firearms wholesalers/distributors.

*disclaimer: I let my C&R license go in 2009, so I can't guarantee that these perks are still applicable. There also may be other new ones out there. Best thing to do is lurk on some C&R forums and see what others are talking about.
  5. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

shipping is one of the biggest perks.

find a c&r gun you want to add to your collection.. and it's in another state.. it can be shipped from their dealer to you.. doesn't have to go thru a dealer in your state.

saves $$ and time..
  6. mogunner

mogunner Well-Known Member

yep, you still get the dealer's discount at loads of retailers. Midway, Brownells, and many others. Run a bunch of copies off of your UNSIGNED license (NEVER EVER SIGN THE ORIGINAL) and use these for sellers that require a paper copy (not many do) most accept a scanned copy of a signed one emailed to them, so scan and save a copy to your computer)

And you can use it to set up accounts at all the online sellers, in some cases like SOG you can't even view what they have for sale until you do so.