C&R Question

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by JEConlon, Jul 26, 2007.

1. JEConlon

JEConlon New Member

I've just recieved my C&R app., and while waiting for it I've been able to get answers to most of my questions about having a C&R except a few. The main one being: if a certain gun is on the list, but would be considered illegal for anyone else in my state to buy, could I still buy it? I want to get a Nagant 44 of course with the bayonet. But from what I'm told it seems to have a bayonet here in CA is illegal. So where does leave me (if I get my C&R)? And I've come across a few other guns like this too, and I wonder about them.

Sorry if this is a stupid question, I'm just curious. Thanks!
  2. Unfortunately, JEC, even if the weapon is legal under a C&R license, the dealer can't even ship it to you by law if your state laws forbid owning it in that state. In fact, most of the dealer circulars you will get note in the add whether the weapon is "California legal" or not. Alas, you live in one of the most firearms restrictive states in the Union.
  3. JEConlon

JEConlon New Member

yea i thought so. i work at a pawnshop with an FFL, and we have so many guns we have to sell online because they are not CA legal. i jus thought maybe the laws would be slightly easier on collectors.
  4. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

I feel for you JE, and I really hope I won't offend you by recommending that you MOVE. You will never get those rights back, while "staying and fighting" is commendable, you have to face political reality....California will NEVER be what it once was... as will New York, and others...

I moved from New York when I was 21 and it was the best thing I could have done for me and my family, Pistol moved from California to Colorado for the same reasons essentially, and would NEVER go back for the same reasons I would never live in NY. It is TRULY amazing how much freedom there still is in the "real" world of "flyover country,", truly a "Breath of Fresh Air" you can actually FEEL TOUCH and TASTE that you thought no longer existed.

But having said that, I would suggest you order a couple of M38 Mosin Nagant Cavalry Carbines before they go away. IT is Kalifornia legal because no bayonet, and it is what the M44 was based on, but the 38 is a lot more handier WITHOUT that bayonet.

The reason you need to order at least a couple, though, is virtually ALL M38s saw hard action in the war, as opposed to the M44s, many of which were virtually unfired. While I have NEVER found an M44 that did not shoot WELL, I had to go through about 8 M38s before I found one that shot as well as any M44...because the bores are never as good.

In fact most are "counterbored" to get rid of the damaged rifling at the muzzle, because they cleaned them (for some reason the Russians were taught to clean all rifles that way!) not very carefully through the muzzle.

The GOOD news is that you will not waste any money, and will probably MAKE money on them, and enjoy shooting them all until you find one that shoots well. Just buy two at a time, at your dealer price, shoot them, sell the one that shoots worse for more than you paid for it on the net or at a show (if they are still LEGAL in CA!), order two more, from either the same or a different jobber, and compare the THREE, sell the two worst, and so on until you are satisfied. And also along the way you will probably get at leaast one with an original M38 stock, so keep the stock for the one you will eventually keep, and have it "original," and sell the other ones with the "restocked" M44 stocks...(They quit making M38 stocks in 1944, so all M38s made after 44, as well as all that were arsenal refinished after the war were rebuilt with M44 stocks...most "collectors" prefer their M38s in M38 stocks, I know I do....;) )

You will have fun, stay legal, and learn a lot about Mosin Nagants this way too!
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2007
  5. Polish is quite correct, JEC. California is a lost cause. The way it's headed there, you can expect all firearms to be so restricted within the next ten years that they will be essentially banned. The only armed citizens in the Bear Flag Republic will be the murderers and rapists. Run, don't walk, to the border!
  6. JEConlon

JEConlon New Member

yea, i think it's a lost cause, and i have thought about moving. ive lost more than a couple friends to the draw of 'freedom' in other states. it doesn't seem too much is being done here in the way of getting rights back. recently a local place decided to stop selling handguns because they have way too much liability here selling them (my store doesn't sell them) and the NRA had people picketing outside telling people to boycott them. the stores answer was basically 'if more lobbying had been done to fight these laws by groups like you, i could still sell them'.

anyway thanks for the sympathy. almost everytime i talk to someone we just sold a gun too via online auction, i get 'i'm sorry for you guys in ca'

but anyway, i think its okay to order one without the bayo, right? maybe il just do that (and i'll look into the m38's as well). thanks!
  7. ruger22com

ruger22com New Member

Just a minor point...it is NOT illegal to ship anything to california...but it is illegal for the transfer agent to receive it and transfer it to you.

But with all the anti-gun laws there, california might as well be a foreign country.
  8. Tom Militano

Tom Militano New Member

Nothern CA is a beautiful area, up near the Oregon line, but you couldn't pay me to live in that state with their gun laws.
  9. MikeH1

MikeH1 New Member

Big5 stores here in CA sell M44's by the truckload, along with M91/30's, which also come with a bayonet, so obviously they are legal here. I have one of each myself. I'd recheck your source of that info.
  10. JEConlon

JEConlon New Member

hmm. i would guess with the m44 they sell the bayo attached, right? a couple of FFL's have told me they can't sell them with it attached. but maybe they are over cautious. but my bigger question really was does state law supercede what the C&R license says you can buy. and i guess the answer is yes.

Thanks for all the replies!
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2007
  11. MikeH1

MikeH1 New Member

Yes, bayonet was attached. I also see lots of M44's at the local gun shows, along with SKS M59's also with bayonet.