C&R Transfer out of Country Question

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by Insjim, Dec 19, 2010.

1. Insjim

Insjim Guest

Just trying to make a safe sale to another member who lives in France and is wanting to buy a 150 year old french pinfire pistol. He would like to use PayPal and my fear is if customs seizes it Then won't PayPal refund the purchasers money to my expense? I do not have a C&R license so what makes it legal for me to ship this pistol to France or? What do you guys think.....I would like this member to have this gun as per he has been a help in IDing it for me as well as I beleive he will give it a good home. Just picking some brains here. Thanks
  2. deadin

deadin Well-Known Member

Last thing I heard is that PayPal can get rather snotty about any transaction involving firearms. (regardless of age).
    As far as the legality of sending an antique out-of-country, there is no problem on this end and it is up to the buyer to make sure it is legal in his country.
  3. Insjim

Insjim Guest

Thanks deadin
  4. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Why not have him use an international postal money order? A lot simpler and I think the cost is actually less considering Pay Pal and the credit card company's cut.

Jim
  5. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

If he used the personal tab in the send money area, it doesn't cost you or him anything and there is nothing to tell that it is a "gun" transaction.

I use PayPal quite a bit, but I cannot answer your question about the possibility of customs seizing it and them returning his money.
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2010
  6. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

STOP!!!!!!

check with the BATFE first , if that person is not allowed to import that ( there is a shared list) the french can ask for your extradition and the US WILL GRANT IT ,

next check with french authorities , some reigons ( paris for one) are supposed to be firearms free (UN reg's) so check where its allowed before sending

theres a lot of traps with europe and guns especially france

do all the checks first .. ok?

cover your butt , get everything in writing as if preparuing for a defence , serious , 30 years is the french term for illgal importation or arms dealing to restricted areas.. and obozo signed off on the extradition treaty , plus you'll get the transport bill ( or your family will)

be safe

good luck
  7. Insjim

Insjim Guest

Holy Molie! Thanks Aussie, Heck I am still shakin in my boots on that note.......Darn near feels like I'm waiting for extradition "OUCH" I will do some checking today on this matter.
  8. Jim K

Jim K New Member

I don't know much about international trade, but I do know that that a gun made 150 years ago (if that is the case) is an antique (not a C&R) under US law and I believe French law as well. There are plenty of hurdles to get over when dealing with modern firearms, but antique guns are bought and sold in the international market all the time (Paris has a large arms and armor show each year), so I doubt there are many insurmountable problems. You should not even need an export license since the law requiring it specifically exempts antiques (pre-1899).

I would write to BATFE, State and the French consulate or embassy. Be clear and concise. Describe the gun, its age and where you want to send it.

Jim
  9. reinhard

reinhard Member

pinfire revolvers are free in France , the problem for him will be french customs,all post or mail from the US is closely watched by customs,one thing that they absolute want to know is the value to determine howmuch Import tax should be payed on the gun,
    and believe me this could be higher than the actual value
  10. reinhard

reinhard Member

Paris gunfree ? that's new to me ,
  11. The Count

The Count New Member

my 2 cents worth:

don't do the sale. there are crooks all over europe (plus the rest of the world) that use stolen ebay identities along with stolen bank accounts to buy all kinds of stuff. this exact thing happened to me with a camcorder that a guy with a US ebay account bought and wanted shipped to the ukraine because he was traveling. the truth was the account had been hijacked and the funds used by paypal was stolen. so a day after i had shipped the camcorder the bank went ahead and took the money right out of my account. i got a call from the ebay fraud department that after some prodding admitted that this happens a lot more than is reported. i learned a lesson.
  12. lefaucheux 54

lefaucheux 54 Member

Crooks does also exist in the USA ....