C.S. Shattuck Shotgun???

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by polarbear, Jun 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. polarbear

polarbear New Member

I’ve got an old single shot shotgun (supposedly my Grandfather’s) that I’m trying to identify. It has no markings except serial #58719, stamped on the Receiver, Barrel, Buttstock, Forestock, and Fore-end? It has a C.S. Shattuck, Hatfield, Mass. Buttplate. It seems intact and operable, except that the hammer doesn’t engage the firing pin correctly anymore.
    It sort of matches a description by Frank Morrison of an Iver Johnson “semi-hammerless with locking bolt operated with a "ring" journaled in the trigger guard directly in front of the trigger, 12 gauge only from 1899 to 1910.” I have read that C.S. Shattuck marketed guns made by Iver Johnson, and that both companies marketed through the J. P. Lovell Co. of Boston.
    I would enjoy any information that I could receive on the shotgun and the companies involved. I would really like to nail down the Manufacturer, Model Name, and Date of Manufacture.
    Thanks in Advance

Attached Files:

2. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

polarbear, if you use the search feature ( hit search at the top of the forum ) and type in C S Shattuck, you will find a couple of very informative posts on the Shattuck. As far as the Iver Johnson connection , Mr Goforth can expound on that.
  3. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

this is an interesting shotgun. it is the first shattuck i have seen or heard of with the ring trigger. the one thing i can say with certianty it is not of iver johnson manufacturer. shattuck and iver johnnson were competitors in the field of single barrel shotguns. shattuck seems to have entered the field first in the late 1870's as iver johnson's first single barrel did not come along until 1880. both products were sold thriugh j.p. lovell co, however after iver johnson shotgun were first produced the j.p. lovell catalogs advertize the shattuck single guns as old models. this could mean these were left over inventory for lovell and newer shattuck's were not being handled any more.

the fact it has the ring trigger mean it was manufactured either before the patent for the ring trigger was granted in 1902 or manufactured in direct violation of the patent rights granted by patent number 697516 (application dated 11-4-1898) granted on april 15,1902. this patent was issued to o.f. mossberg and assigned to iver johnson. my best guess is this shotgun was manufactured between the introduction of the iver johnson ring trigger in 1895/96 and 1902 (when the patent was granted). the ring trigger shotgun by iver johnson was first offered to the public in 1897/98 before the patent application was even filed.

shattuck seem to have had knowledge of this design and it was such a simple design and easly manufactured that they had the time to put it in production aand make a good many as the serial number would indicate before the patent was finally granted.

other than the above i really can't tell you any thing about your shotgun because like i stated this is the first one i have seen or heard. shattuck was a early manufacturer of firearms but few of them are actually marked with their name.
    bill