C. Sharps pepperbox, authentic or replica?

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by DTulsa, Dec 9, 2009.

1. DTulsa

DTulsa New Member

How can I tell if my C. Sharps 4 barrel pepperbox is genuine or a replica?
    I've asked about it at a local shop, but they didn't know much about it. Not too many of them on the auction sites, and they've all got the butt stock on 'em and are in better condition, but i still feel that it's a fairly valuable piece of history..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    C. Sharps & Co. Philada. PA
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    C. Sharps Patent 1859
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    No spring on hammer but the pin does rotate
    [​IMG]
    .32?
  2. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

It has the correct markings for a Sharps No. 2 Derringer in 30 Rim fire. Unless someone went to the trouble of counterfeiting a copy it looks authentic. In counterferiting firearms the big money is in old Colts and such. Theres not enought money in the little Sharps { compared to 20,000 for a Colt } to be wouth the trouble. I would say it is a real go to town Sharps No. 2 Derringer.
  3. DTulsa

DTulsa New Member

my ex-girlfriend found this on a walk next to the tracks near my house. she picked it up and jokingly said "i found a gun!" thinking it was an old toy gun. i quickly wound up with it in my pocket and never let it leave my house.
    should i try to get a butt stock for it to sell? or should it stay as is to protect it's integrity? or, is it worth enough in it's condition to even worry about?
  4. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

The only thing I have ever found is a hard time. Oh well, yes, it is a piece of firearm history. What I would do and what you should do is two different things. I would do what ever is necessary to bring it up to standards with out over cleaning it. I would either repair it or have it repaired. Yes, even in bad condition it is probably worth a couple of hundred dollars, after all they are not making any more. Google " Old West Gunsmithing".
  5. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I agree with it being real. There were a couple of copies made, but they were in 22, and the holes in that look too big for 22. Also they were marked with the maker's name - HJS (I think) in Texas and Uberti in Italy - not C. Sharps.

Nice find.
  6. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Check www.gunpartscorp.com for replica parts that should either fit or can be fitted to that gun. The mainspring (hammer spring) should fit if they have them or a spring for the older revolvers might be fitted. The stocks are a bit more iffy, as a poor fit would be obvious. Check the above or www.grips.com for grips. That is the Model 1A and the original grips were hard rubber, with a leaf and vine pattern cast in.

Or, if you want to sell it, you would probably be better not to spend much on it. There were a lot of those guns made and in excellent condition they only bring $500 or so.

Jim
  7. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

I was under the impression that the No#1 was only in 22 rim fire and the No# 2 was in 30 rim fire. Was I mistaken?:confused: Added: Upon more research the serial number does fall with in the No# 1A and the No# 1C range, in fact the number is too large for any of the other series. Just gos to show, don't believe every thing you read :eek:
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2009
  8. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Unlike the Remington double derringer, the Sharps has a mainspring that doesn't require six men and two small boys to cock the gun. It was, for the time, a practical little gun, though of course underpowered even for those days.

Jim
  9. 11BANG

11BANG New Member

my grandfather passed away and gave me this gun i have no use for it sit in my house and i got kids i love it because it has personal value but i want to see the money value it is in perfect condition never had anything fixed or broke on it its all original its been in my family for a very long time my grandfather got it from his father who got it from his father who worked for howard hughes he was his right hand man have pictures of howard hughes and him together with the gun which i know would maybe add value the pictures are of the gun please help if you have any insight of the manufacture year and some info about it. It says C. sharps patent 1859 on 1 side and C. sharps &co PHILADA.PA. and there are 2 numbers on it the numbers are the same they say 460 one on the bottum and one under the barrel there are pictures of them attached

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 22, 2013