C Z shotgun

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by tim peterson, Apr 25, 2010.

1. tim peterson

tim peterson Member

Howdy I am thinking about buying a C Z semi auto 12ga. Model 712 with a 26 inch barrel and walnut stock. I dont know anyone that ownes a C Z firearm. So Im looking for Input/info or oplnions on there shotguns. Thanx
  2. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

I love CZ handguns. I don't know much about the 712 except reports of them breaking firing pins and lodging the pin in the firing pin hole, and upon reload it would fire the next round before the action was locked therefore destroying the action. Now I must say from all I know these are just stories. I have yet to see one personally or in pictures were this has happened. Besides that the guns are very solid feeling and the actions are smooth as SG's twice the price.
    Sorry I'm not much help beyond that.
  3. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

I have a CZ over/under (O/U). It is well made, shoots well, and is bargain priced. The shotguns, I believe, are made in Turkey, at least mine is. There have been, in the last few years, a couple of new price classes for O/U shotguns. The first is the $500 class and they truly look cheap. Then there is the class from $750 to $1000. They are typically from countries like Turkey that have an excellent work force of skilled tradesman that work for low wages, compared to the USA. From this class you get good guns for cheap. All the rest of the O/U's for $1000 and up are expensive and out of my class.

As for a CZ semi-auto, I think I would not go that route. When I decided to buy my first shotgun and checked around with dealers, the unanimous answer to which semi-auto shotgun had the least problem, worked the best, and was the best choice was the Beretta. So I bought one and have NOT been disappointed. It is an excellent shotgun that I highly recommend. But it is pricey compared to others but that is the price of reliability, good performance, and good looks. This is the case of you get what you pay for. The CZ O/U is definitely the exception to that rule, based on my experience. But semi-auto mechanism are not simple like O/U's. The design is super important. If the design is wrong then no amount of fine craftsmanship will make them better.

That is my opinion and I am a very active supporter of CZ guns and have been for years and years.

LDBennett