C96 MAUSER ?S

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by fishguts, Jul 24, 2011.

1. fishguts

fishguts Member

just picked up this mauser #80270. it has matching #s and holster. can anyone tell me a littlke about it? also it needs a fireing pin were might i look to find one? thanks for any info. its bore looks like its never been fired!

[​IMG]
  2. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

Fishguts,
    Very Nice rig. More info forthcoming from "qualified experts", but I can see from the grip panel - it's a "RED NINE" chambered for the 9mm Parabellum round - dating from the WW1 era.
    Perhaps a couple 'detail' pics of the piece, including markings on top of chamber/receiver and sides (both) will help with more complete ID.
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2011
  3. valbehaved

valbehaved Member

Yes, it does look like a Red 9, ordered by the German army during WWI...
    A total of about 135000 were made but only about 100000 were delivered and the rest sold as surplus after the war. Your particular variation might have Prussian eagle stamped on the front of the mag well
    the holster might not be German in origin - please post extra pics of front
    and back
  4. fishguts

fishguts Member

noiw you say it it is red in the 9, dont show in the pic but its there. its got like years of old greasy crud on it, shouod i try and clean ot off with something? thanks a million guys heres some more pics

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  5. valbehaved

valbehaved Member

Yep, it does have a Prussian eagle on the mag well..
    I would just use 0000 steel wool and oil to clean the gun and to lubricate it.
    They are fairly easy to take apart but can be a challenge to put back together.
    Do not attempt unless you have done it before..
  6. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

Fishguts,
    The ORIGINAL C96 was mostly chambered in the .30 Mauser cartridge (7.63 x 25mm). During WW1 the German military ordered C96 chambered in their then standard 9x19mm Parabellum/Luger cartridge. To avoid confusion with which ammo the gun would accept - the 9mm pieces had that large '9' cut into the grip panels and then the nines were filled with bright red paint - hence the modern name: RED NINE.
  7. fishguts

fishguts Member

thanks guys, and i got it apart and back together, i found a video on the net on it and it helped a lot. i also found the problem of not staying cocked. someone had it apart and didnt hook up the cocking catch spring in the rite place. and i ordered a fireing pin for it. cant wait to shoot her. reg 9mm factory loads ok to shoot in it? again thanks guys this info is a big help.
  8. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

fishguts,
    Congratulations!
    Keep the ammo standard pressure and you should be OK? If the slide velocity seems to be too fast - quit shooting it.
  9. valbehaved

valbehaved Member

And always wear heavy safety glasses when shooting.
    It is not uncommon for the bolt stop to crack and shear when shooting, especially in the guns that have been used a lot.
    If that happens, the bolt will fly straight in the shooters face.
    It would probably be a good idea to take out and examine the bolt stop for any microscopic cracks..
  10. Jim K

Jim K New Member

That gun certainly seems to be genuine. Unfortunately, a lot of the guns imported from China were rebored and re-rifled or sleeved to 9mm Luger and then outfitted with fake Red 9 grips. The usual giveaways are grips with the wrong number of lines, the "9" of a wrong color, and the sight going to 1000 meters, where the genuine "Red 9" sight only goes to 500 meters.

You can clean the crud out of the "9" with a Q-tip or small brush and soap and water; do not use any paint solvent. The red is not bright; it is a rather dark red which can look almost brown or black when dirty.

Jim
  11. permafrost

permafrost Active Member

Fishguts, I'm jealous! That is some kind of sweet! I'm no kinda expert ,but I know what i like! I've always wanted a broomhandle, but couldn't afford one. Cheers and enjoy. Frosty
  12. fishguts

fishguts Member

thanks, jim the sights on this go from 50 to 500, how many lines is it susposed to have?the red is there but you have to look to see it.
  13. fishguts

fishguts Member

also, any estimate on value?
  14. valbehaved

valbehaved Member

Your gun is an original "red 9" - you can tell by the serial range(separate for the standard commercial range), german imperial proofs on right chamber(Does it have it?) - usually a crown over a gothic letter, and the presence of the "prussian eagle" on the front of the mag well - only "red 9s" in certain serial range had them.The grips were also marked with a full serial number inside. Some of the 9s were apparently applied in the field and were sometimes filled with orange paint and were of different shape.
    $700-900 in this condition
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2011
  15. fishguts

fishguts Member

i bet it would sell darn quick for 700!