1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

CA Handgun Ammo Tracking Law Killed!!!!

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by LDBennett, Jan 19, 2011.

1. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

Apparently yesterday a judge threw out the California handgun ammo sales tracking law that was going into effect at the end of the month.

The law forbade handgun ammo purchases via the internet, required only face to face purchases, a finger print, signature, and ID. The dealers, I believe, would have to have kept all the records. GOOD RIDDANCE!!!!

This ruling came out of left field for me as I did not even know there was any judicial action going on. I pretty much stocked up on 22 ammo for this new law but hey, I'll use it up in time. I reload so virtually all other ammo I use was safe from this stupid law.

The next law that needs removal is the micro stamping of the firing pin law that has not been implemented yet do to patent infringement problems. They will eventually get through that and we still need to get that law removed from the books. I know it won't happen but the CA certified (under the guise of safety??) handgun list should also be dumped.

LDBennett
  2. Bubblehead

Bubblehead New Member

Can you provide a link to that story? I'd like to see it in writing.
  3. Bubblehead

Bubblehead New Member

4. dbennett48

dbennett48 New Member

Amen LD. Great to see something like this law get dumped before it got into effect. We need less "Safety" laws.

Dave
  5. zkovach

zkovach Active Member

God no offense but the legistators in California are figgin nuts! Every day the make pointless laws that over regulate everything! It's this feel good bologna crap legislation that is ruining California. Bad thing is once California enacts a law leftists in other states follow suit. Again no offense to u californians. But god when does it stop.
  6. LDBennett

zkovach:

The once conservative state of CA has been infiltrated by a liberal bunch to the point that they hold the power in elections. The remaining conservative that live here are unable to overpower them and get the liberals out of state government or city governments in the three liberal cities of San Diego, Los Angeles, and San Francisco. Those city areas control the elections and the liberals remain in power. It will only get worse as the liberals here beget more liberals. CA is lost to the liberals. The answer is to move but that is not always possible, especially in my situation. I need to be close to the grand kids, and my kids who will at some point in the future will need to help me in my old age. But I will continue to complain... Sorry.

LDBennett
  7. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

It's about time gun owners in commifornia got a break. I just hope it's not a 1 step forward and 2 step back case.
  8. ozo

ozo Well-Known Member

Just a plug, but very worthwhile.......
    www.nranews.com which is also on each evening on satellite radio
    Sirius 144 8pm CST weekdays ??
    So far the past several yrs I've been listening has not failed to cover
    any and all firearm bills in any and all states (GOOD JOB NRAnews).
    Cam and Co. have stayed on top of everything that I know of, at least
    to let everyone know what is happening or about to happen, that is of
    any concern to any 2nd ammendment, gun owning, ammo buying, freedom
    loving, patriotic American. Give 'em a listen.....self-explanatory.
  9. jim brady

jim brady Well-Known Member

LDBennet and anyone else still living in California: Glad to hear they stopped that crazy law, but do they still register ammo that can be used in pistols? They did that for a while when I was a resident there - just wanted to know if they still ask you for ID and register the sale like they used to. Thanks.

Also, I understand that you still have that goofey 2 week waiting period for firearm purchases. In my state, we have a background check that's called in, and if you are clear leagally, the sale is approved - usually within 15 minutes, but it has taken an hour or so.

You guys really need to toss those rascals in Sacramento out and start over.
  10. zkovach

zkovach Active Member

I understand completly LD..... Liberals have ran michigan into a hole of debt here in michigan and most of us thought of leaving and its hard when you love your state that much. Michigan just turned itself republican.... Hopefully the conservative type. May we kick all the welfare lifers out or give them a job.... they run rampid over here. Good luck with C.A.
  11. LDBennett

jim brady:

No, we currently do not have to register any ammo sales and can easily buy ammo via the internet.

The registration and purchase of handguns has become more onerous and expensive over the years. Handguns sold (new and dealer owned) must appear on a safety testing list or an Olympic gun exemption list. The testing costs the manufacturer thousands of dollars and I believe a couple of guns that may be destroyed in the testing cycle. Every version, even if it just a color change or barrel length difference, has to go through the testing. Dealers rarely sell older used handguns as they are not on the lists but do consignment sales as "private sales" are excluded from the testing requirement. Then there is the buyer testing (another cost for a multi-year license to buy handguns) both written and gun handling testing by the dealer. The total overhead cost can be as much as $100 if you don't have the license. They make it expensive and hard to buy handguns, which deters people from buying them, which is exactly what the liberals want.

The waiting period to pick up the gun has been extended to long guns including shotguns with the cost of the DROS ($30??), which is a background check, added on.

LDBennett
  12. jim brady

jim brady Well-Known Member

So if they charge you $30 for a back ground check, and you get approved, why the heck do you have to wait 2 weeks to take your property home? I thought the idea was to prevent someone who shouldn't have a gun from buying one? If your back ground check came back that you are a "Good Guy", why do they still hassel you?

Two weeks was back in THE OLD DAYS when your paperwork had to be mailed in, approved/denied and mailed back to the dealer. Is the State of California not using the internet or computerized network?

I guess that's why I am a 'former' resident of California. By the way, the telephoned in back ground checks are $25 here in Colorado. They'll likely raise them, though. More revenue is needed by the State.
  13. zkovach

zkovach Active Member

Typical liberal motives

If we cant take their guns away we will make them impossible to aquire.
  14. zkovach

zkovach Active Member

15. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Handgun laws are pretty much a joke. Here, you come in and buy an AR-15 or an AK-47 with as much ammo as you want and walk out with it after a 10 min background check. But with any handgun its a 3 day waiting or cool off period if you dont have a concealed permit. So, you can buy a rifle that fires 7.62 with 30 rd mags that day, but have to wait 3 days for a 22 pistol. Go figure. It just seems to fit the liberal way of thinking to a Tee. I am very happy to see that ammo law shot down. At least for now.